Home

No NBA 2K15 Demo Confirmed

This is a discussion on No NBA 2K15 Demo Confirmed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #129
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: No NBA 2K15 Demo Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
And a lot of games don't release demos - what difference does it make? This isn't some new IP or reimagining of the series. As has been essentially said, it doesn't make sense for 2K to waste time developing a demo to sway someone that is that damn fickle. Historically, 2K's demos have been pretty bare to begin with. You can't sit around being hyper-detailed on what issues you have in the game then expect most/all to be answered with a 5min quarter demo. These are people that are looking more for reasons not to buy than anything.
I am incredibly disappointed that there will be no demo. The main reason being because it makes me feel that on-court issues I had last year weren't touched. We still have yet to see any information about actual gameplay, controls, AI, footplanting, spacing, etc. So yes, a demo, to me, is crucial to see if those things have been fixed.

Quote:
The excuses are borderline ridiculous. Complaining that 2K didn't release a gameplay dev diary? Basically complaining that 2K didn't tell them what they wanted to hear - when they're accusing 2K of not telling the truth to begin with...? If 2K had released a demo, it would've been some other complaint:

- It's too short.
- It's not online.
- Doesn't have access to [whatever feature the person deems important].
- Can't tell if simulated stats are fixed.

It would be any number of excuses/complaints just so they can keep complaining.
Anyone who complains about those things in a demo is being unrealistic. A demo is meant to showcase gameplay, and sometimes, some presentation elements. Obviously you're not going to see those things. But at the end of the day, most people will spend the majority of their time with the game on the court, controlling the players. If that's no different than last year, all the modes in the world won't mean as much. Releasing a demo is a prime opportunity to show that they didn't just rehash the on-court game.

Quote:
Even if 2K'd knocked a demo out of the park, I'm sure the excuse would've been "It's just a demo/not the final version". Most of us would like to have a demo just to have something to try out/play in the time between now and when the game releases. But basing your whole opinion on whether the game has a demo or not? Then do yourself - and us - a favor by not purchasing the game. It's an unrealistic expectation that it's going to play completely different than it did when it released 9 months ago, when most were acknowledging it was one of the best playing basketball games to date.
I don't think anyone is expecting a completely different game. But it certainly had its share of issues with gameplay. Why is it wrong to not want to pay $60 before making sure it's worth it?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #130
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I honestly could careless that there isn't a demo. The only thing the 2k demos ever did for me was get me back into the controls, nothing else.

IMO, its impossible to really make a purchasing decision based on the demo because in all honesty, its an old build. I would think the demo would have to be a build that was made 2 months prior to the release of the product due to having to have time to submit through their own testing and then Microsoft/Sony approval, to get it out in time for gamers to try it out.

For me, demos aren't for making decisions on how great a game is or isn't, but more for seeing if you like the concept of a particular game. If you want to make a buying decision, read reviews, check OS, play at a friends, or wait and find it used at like Gamestop, buy and if you don't like in a few days, return it.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 09-22-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #131
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Didn't see this one coming, but I don't mind renting the game for a couple of weeks before I buy. From what I've seen, it's still the best hoops game available, but it would have been nice to get a little hands on time for free. I guess the word "free" will be less prevalent in the gaming industry going forward.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #132
MVP

OVR: 14

Did nba 2k get Kevin Hart to be in a commercial too?
Vic: Well, in one, one girl wins. In the other....
Kenny: Everyone wins?!?!

Captain Tenneal: Get it on!
Old 09-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #133
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
^I don't think it's stupid like you're making it sound that some people are apprehensive about not having a demo and that it influences their decision to spend money on a product. I mean why do you think people give out free samples at places? So people can try out their product and see what they think of a little taste of it. Wanting a demo is hardly "cheap and selfish". A lot of games release demos.
I didn't say it was stupid. I do say it's a weak excuse because we all know what the game plays like, and we also know that those little issues can't be evaluated in the demos.

Quote:
There had been times with 2k when i played a demo and thought it felt nice, and i could notice little differences with the game compared to the previous year. How exactly would that be a bad thing?
Not saying it's a bad thing. Especially for the consumer. But it's not free. It takes time away from the final product with little to no benefit to anyone in the long run.

Quote:
The only reason i can understand you not wanting or caring about a demo is because it's time that could be used working on the finished product, i can agree with that.
Bingo! Isn't that enough? Again, this is a shortened dev cycle.

Quote:
But other than that. I can't see any valid reasons for you to be so anti demo honestly. If that's your main reason, fair enough.
I'm completely pro demo. I am just anti-"flipping out because there is no" demo.

Quote:
The "nitpickers" as you say, could very easily be influenced through a demo to purchase a product they were apprehensive about if they felt something they "nitpicked" was improved from before. You never know.
In my opinion, the Nits fall into 2 primary categories:

1. The hardcore superfan that obsesses over getting that perfect experience. Never be satisfied, but the game is so close. They love the game and the sport and will get it anyway. Already preordered it! Demo can only move the needle down.

2. The anti-fanboy that dreams up vague or real issues and look for any excuse to downplay and criticize the game. Normally fans of the competitor and look for any excuse big or small, real or exaggerated, to not buy the game. Demo doesn't move the needle with these people.

Quote:
You definitely can't guarantee that if someone needs a demo to help influence their purchase that they'll find something else to keep em on the fence though lol.
True. I can't. Just my opinion.

Quote:
The only problem i have with no demo is now i have to listen to word of mouth for a while,instead of seeing what the game is like first hand before deciding on buying or not.
True. But you don't have to buy it Day 1. When it release, the new consoles have trials. Or I'm sure people have a friend or two that will have it.

Quote:
And a lot of people don't know much about nba 2k so their opinions aren't gonna mean much. I remember back in the day when ign reviewed nba 2k12 or 13(maybe 11) they said something about "a great new feature is that you can change your shot in mid layup or dunk" when that feature had been in 2k for years lol.

Yeah. That's when you get FPS idiots reviewing games they don't play. But, to be fair, there a lot of casual fans that don't know every feature.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #134
Rookie

OVR: 4

I cant lie, not having a demo kinda stinks but there are so many other games to play right now that i probably would have played the demo for a minute and moved on to another game. The fall season always gets me and my wife to argue budget wise. So i'm not that upset about not having a demo this time around.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #135
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

No NBA 2K15 Demo Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador

I don't think anyone is expecting a completely different game. But it certainly had its share of issues with gameplay. Why is it wrong to not want to pay $60 before making sure it's worth it?

No one says it is wrong. Where do you guys get that? Just saying it shouldn't be THAT big of a deal.

They have a full gameplay team man. Don't you think they worked at all? There have been gameplay impressions all over the place. IKC being one example. Now, with that said, any changes they make to address the so called "legacy" (term that is way overused here) issues never get done with a hammer. So if they aren't completely gone, Nit #1 will cry "they totally ignored the issue", when they've clearly made some sort of improvement. That doesn't help them at all.

Last edited by Boilerbuzz; 09-22-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #136
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaImmaculateONe
Did nba 2k get Kevin Hart to be in a commercial too?

Oh Gawd! I hope not. I hate that commercial.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »