Home

Check out Pharrell Williams in NBA 2K15

This is a discussion on Check out Pharrell Williams in NBA 2K15 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #73
Just started!

OVR: 0
Sounds like they used the script from the unreleased straight to DVD, "Above the Rim 2: The Revengence"
Old 09-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #74
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Check out Pharrell Williams in NBA 2K15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I look at MyPlayer mode as entering into a work of fiction....and as it's been said, we all have varying opinions on how close to reality we want that. If I had Pharrell talking to me during quick games, MyGM or MyLEAGUE I would have an entirely different view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
I get that, but even in this mode it can go overboard. As I said before, I think the pharrell thing and talking to players is cool, but it'd be better if it wasn't implemented like the LeBron/Jackson Ellis interactions of last year.
That is likely the crux of the issue. How divorced from reality is too divorced from reality? If talking to LeBron James and absorbing his signature dunk by osmosis on an empty court prior to a game is too divorced from reality for some, is that okay? And do gamers really want no other choice than to partake in those exchanges in this mode? Just because we establish a mode as a work of fiction, is there no line? Is it all fair game?

Before, MyPlayer seemed to be the short name for, "What if you tried to make it to the NBA and you did? And it was about you in an authentic NBA world just trying to succeed and clear your own path as you saw fit?" Now, MyCareer feels like, "What if you were in this wacky alternate NBA universe where you spoke only in awful cliches and stunted dialogue that you had no control over, and a lot of the real things of the NBA didn't even exist anymore, and stuff just kind of happened because, you know, fiction?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbebuff
Sounds like they used the script from the unreleased straight to DVD, "Above the Rim 2: The Revengence"
Stealing that title.

Last edited by VDusen04; 09-24-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #75
MVP

lakers24's Arena

VDusen04 You sir are in MyHead
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #76
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
MyPlayer never really entered fictional narrative until MyCareer. MyPlayer let you tell/enact most of your own story. It gave you the NBA experience without making you not you except where necessary for interview dialogue. But you had enough control that it was just an unfortunate limitation of the technology that you couldn't have your own voice in the game. But when they take over your personality and your thoughts... The "My" story becomes a lot less interesting and compelling (in addition to questionable dialogue quality itself).
To you it isn't. Just like older iteration wasn't compelling to me. As, I mentioned before, I couldn't make it 10 games w\o getting bored with the repetitive nature. We should stop speaking in these absolutes like one represents all of our experiences. As far as the narrative, It was always fiction to me...Having a billboard with my name and face on them, my own custom shoe, endorsements etc. That's about as fiction as it gets for me. This is just another part of that for me.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #77
MVP

OVR: 1
Check out Pharrell Williams in NBA 2K15

Quote:
To you it isn't. Just like older iteration wasn't compelling to me. As, I mentioned before, I couldn't make it 10 games w\o getting bored with the repetitive nature. We should stop speaking in these absolutes like one represents all of our experiences. As far as the narrative, It was always fiction to me...Having a billboard with my name and face on them, my own custom shoe, endorsements etc. That's about as fiction as it gets for me. This is just another part of that for me.

Point is the past games had elements and a structure that could have been enhanced by the narrative elements, rather than completely co-opted by them (and sometimes badly).

And yes, billboards of ourselves is fiction-- but it's wish fullfilment fantasy. Versus a fiction where you are simply not you and your decisions and NBA elements are taken away to serve that not-you narrative. There's a huge distinction there. You're totally cool with less NBA authenticity and your personality co-opted by a questionable actor because you're not an NBA player anyway?

I mean if we follow the logical end of your argument, and any divergence from reality is equal, then we might as well have The 24th Letter be represented by a mushroom that talks like a 60's robot.

The point some of us are making aren't just to crap on the mode for its own sake. It's to hopefully offer thoughts on how to execute what should obviously be the goal-- the ultimate wish fullfilment of us as NBA players, where we retain as much or as little of ourselves as we want, because the latter is key to making the illusion work. I don't see how anyone can not want that.

And these are obviously our thoughts and opinions. Ones we feel strong enough and have thought about long enough to feel confident expressing and debating about. Feel free to disagree, but I don't think we need to postfix IMO after everything.

Last edited by Sundown; 09-24-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #78
Rookie

anyone up for starting a thread about mycareer suggestions for 2K16? I think the main issue is people like myself want a career that we actually control and represents us. While others get so tired of the repetitive nature of the old myplayer mode.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #79
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:

I think the problem with getting bored was the repetitive limitation the mode had back then. I don't think they did a good job in capturing the "fun" in building your athlete or the importance of fitting into a system while playing.

As far as having a billboard, shoe endorsements, etc. How is that any different from what the vast number of highly rated rookies experience? Sure some of the accolades came far too easily and quickly, but the concept is right on par with being a high draft pick.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #80
Pro

OVR: 7

Why is he getting a pass for pretty much ripping Jay Kay from Jamiroquai's style? Like Jamiroquai hasn't sold 30M records. FOH Pharrell

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »