Home

MLB 15 The Show Screenshots Captured From Trailer

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Screenshots Captured From Trailer within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #33
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: MLB 15 The Show Screenshots Captured From Trailer

I was just going to say, when was the last time that the first trailer looked drastically different from release? And it seems like it's the same people every year saying wait and see.

And if they DID overhaul the visuals, why would they balk at the opportunity to show off those new visuals in the first trailer of the year? Really doesn't make any sense and would be pretty poor marketing to not display your visual overhaul at the earliest opportunity. It's what people connect to the quickest, as we obviously see here.

What we see, is most likely what we're going to get, and that is indeed disappointing. 2nd year into the next-gen consoles, and every other sports developer has visually overhauled their game, and the Show gets a couple lighting tweaks, some more crowd scans, beards and some outfield wall textures.

Don't get me wrong, this series is by far the best on the market and it is not even close, but visually it's fallen to about dead last. Animation packages that have been hanging around for like 7 years, poor field and cloth textures. I mean it's going to be 2015 and jerseys still look like they are frozen with starch and hover over players bodies. I could keep going but no need to rant. Guess we'll wait and see.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13
And if they DID overhaul the visuals, why would they balk at the opportunity to show off those new visuals in the first trailer of the year?
Remember back in February/March I think it was, where Ramone said their guy just did crack the lighting code? And the game was released a month/ month 1/2 later? Just because the graphics and/or lighting isn't good now, doesn't mean the guy won't get better at it again this year, especially with a full development cycle to work with. ITS ONLY DECEMBER PEOPLE!!!!! Let's NOT super analyze these things.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #35
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

I definitely remember, just seems questionable that nearly a year later we wouldn't have some tangible visible evidence of that in the first trailer release of the cycle.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Probably best to take the trailer at face value, showing your cover-boy and branding. I know everyone likes to do forensics on every visual morsel but I bet we are basically looking at 14's visuals at the moment.

Good to hear that the game will look better then this.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #37
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Listening to Ramone on the ps nation podcast, it sounded like they were not expecting to show anything at all at PSX and this was something that was whipped up really quick to show off the cover and cover athlete.

Now if the actual feature trailer ends up looking similar than we've got some problems lol.

I just don't see that being the case when '08 was a monumental leap over '07 and the PS4 being much simpler to code for than the PS3.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:55 AM   #38
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

13, I'm going to do something I don't do often and err to the side of optimism on this. SCEA is never at an event this early, and this wasn't to promote the new stuff so to speak. This was to show people a baseball game, maybe people who haven't seen it before. I don't really think this trailer was for us.

I don't know what a year development cycle actually looks like, and I'm not going to pretend like we are going to get some insanely different polygon count (or new player models)... but I think there are changes on the horizon that simply aren't revealed in this trailer. The lighting is obviously the big one, and even though it was night time I can already tell that something was changed because there was actually a fully pitch black sky, which did not happen last year (on the horizon it was always a bit brighter). New animations, hoping for new grass/dirt, and other things really can make the appearance change.

However, I don't think this game will be graphically much studlier than last year's game outside of that. The rest is really in the gameplay, I suppose. I've already brought that up in another thread, but the point remains that... I think we should at least wait a little while. I am disappointed in "next-gen" stuff overall (not this game, but this generation as a whole) in terms of what to expect because I forget that everything is still rendered and coded by humans, and they only have so much time every cycle.

I'm rambling. I'll stop.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #39
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

Well Blzer, I'll hop on board with you here. I honestly hope that I eat the biggest plate of crow, but I'm just envisioning more incremental tweaks, other than the overhaul to animations/all textures/physics this game really needs.

I guess we will see.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:46 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm hoping the trailer was just a rush job and that they'll at least have improved textures and city backgrounds to help bring the game to life. I'm sure the enhanced lighting will be a big help.

Still I think the player models that we saw in the MLB 14 teaser trailer back in November 2013 (which was 7 months out from release instead of 15's 4 months) look way better than anything we've seen since.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »