Home

NHL 15 Fan Survey Lists Modes EA is Considering for NHL 16

This is a discussion on NHL 15 Fan Survey Lists Modes EA is Considering for NHL 16 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #81
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NHL 15 Fan Survey Lists Modes EA is Considering for NHL 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
Even if EA's license isn't exclusive, my overall point about EASHL stands. The game is called NHL 15. EASHL is a fantasy league that requires zero NHL licensing. They can make that a separate entity, charge some sort of price or subscription for it and put the focus in their NHL title on NHL details. In no way does the EASHL have to go away, but when people constantly refer to it as the most important game mode and the area they want EA to devote most of their attention it drives me nuts. Devote the attention to making a better NHL experience. It's an NHL game! The EASHL is a fantasy league. Let it be its own glorious separate entity.
I'd actually never really thought of it that way. They wouldn't even need to have authentic arenas, or equipment. I'd imagine not dealing with licensing issues would enable them to sell it as a pretty reduced cost. Though it may just be something that's easier for them to work on "in addition" to the work they do with the rest of the game.

I still think HUT will be biggest problem for everyone wanting a realistic/enjoyable experience with any other facet of the game. It's hard to argue with numbers, and HUT brings in the $70 purchase price, plus all of the money after, facebook activity, twitter shares, all of that marketing. Things like Be a GM and other modes just don't really bring the same level of income. Which is why i would love for someone else to step in and challenge EA in the hockey market. The door couldn't get much more open. Plenty of people are ready to get something better, so now it's up to EA to right the ship, or continue to have those non-HUT people stay away, or better still, for someone to sweep in with a new perspective and steal away those sales.

That said, i wonder how much copyright issue there would be. The skill-stick is pretty unique, and i would hate to imagine that you couldn't use something similar. I remember MLB2K was a worse baseball game in just about every way, except for the pitching interface, which was amazing in regards to what The Show offered. To throw certain pitches, you used unique movement of the right stick. A fastball might just be hold down then up, a change up would be up then down, a curve would require a rotation of 270 degrees, and then flicking the stick to the side. All of it was compounded with the fact that you were trying to time it, so if you rushed it, or had a tired pitcher, it all became more difficult. It was an awesome and organic way to make pitching more difficult without resorting to forcing the player to make sacrifices. You could go for the complete game with your starter, but as he got tired, the timing of the pitch meter required more effort to get it right.

Anyhow, i think that was copyrighted (similar to the "swiping" of touch screens on phones, which was absurd in the age of everything having a damn touchscreen.) and if the idea of shooting and (hopefully, if EA smarts up) playing defense and using the sticks to have dynamic movements that have higher or lower error rates based on your input along with player ratings not be something being something another company couldn't do and had to find a way to make hockey fun with just the face buttons. I don't know that i could switch back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #82
Pro

OVR: 0

I'll never switch back to face buttons. I just can't.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #83
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I'd actually never really thought of it that way. They wouldn't even need to have authentic arenas, or equipment. I'd imagine not dealing with licensing issues would enable them to sell it as a pretty reduced cost. Though it may just be something that's easier for them to work on "in addition" to the work they do with the rest of the game.

I still think HUT will be biggest problem for everyone wanting a realistic/enjoyable experience with any other facet of the game. It's hard to argue with numbers, and HUT brings in the $70 purchase price, plus all of the money after, facebook activity, twitter shares, all of that marketing. Things like Be a GM and other modes just don't really bring the same level of income. Which is why i would love for someone else to step in and challenge EA in the hockey market. The door couldn't get much more open. Plenty of people are ready to get something better, so now it's up to EA to right the ship, or continue to have those non-HUT people stay away, or better still, for someone to sweep in with a new perspective and steal away those sales.

That said, i wonder how much copyright issue there would be. The skill-stick is pretty unique, and i would hate to imagine that you couldn't use something similar. I remember MLB2K was a worse baseball game in just about every way, except for the pitching interface, which was amazing in regards to what The Show offered. To throw certain pitches, you used unique movement of the right stick. A fastball might just be hold down then up, a change up would be up then down, a curve would require a rotation of 270 degrees, and then flicking the stick to the side. All of it was compounded with the fact that you were trying to time it, so if you rushed it, or had a tired pitcher, it all became more difficult. It was an awesome and organic way to make pitching more difficult without resorting to forcing the player to make sacrifices. You could go for the complete game with your starter, but as he got tired, the timing of the pitch meter required more effort to get it right.

Anyhow, i think that was copyrighted (similar to the "swiping" of touch screens on phones, which was absurd in the age of everything having a damn touchscreen.) and if the idea of shooting and (hopefully, if EA smarts up) playing defense and using the sticks to have dynamic movements that have higher or lower error rates based on your input along with player ratings not be something being something another company couldn't do and had to find a way to make hockey fun with just the face buttons. I don't know that i could switch back.
This assumes that EA's control scheme is perfect. There is definitely room for improvement. Maybe I just have clumsy fingers but I can't always shoot when I want to on skill stick. Also, skill stick leads to lots of accidental interference. I'm not a game designer but I'm sure another company could come up with a control scheme as good as, or better than EA's.

Personally, I liked NHL 2K8's control scheme but I know most fans and critics hated it, so I don't think that is the solution.

Last edited by capnbuh; 01-03-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:01 AM   #84
Rookie

DanglingPenguins's Arena

If we could stay away from the zamboni racing crap... That'd be great.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #85
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnbuh
This assumes that EA's control scheme is perfect. There is definitely room for improvement. Maybe I just have clumsy fingers but I can't always shoot when I want to on skill stick. Also, skill stick leads to lots of accidental interference. I'm not a game designer but I'm sure another company could come up with a control scheme as good as, or better than EA's.

Personally, I liked NHL 2K8's control scheme but I know most fans and critics hated it, so I don't think that is the solution.
I think the "skill stick" is probably one of the best ways to represent control in hockey. That's definitely not to say it couldn't be improved.

Shooting can be difficult at times, but i'm not sure how much of that is the control setup, or just EA not doing much to change their system. I like the idea of just quickly tapping up to take a snap shot, or rolling right/left and up to take a wrister, and the obvious movements for the slap shot are fun.

But, it could definitely be better. Maybe holding R2/Right Trigger and then pushing the right stick to pass, and the direction and speed you move the stick with affects how accurate and quickly the make the pass. Tapping R3 and then flicking the stick could be used for elevating the puck maybe. It would be cool to have a more context based system, especially for clearing. Clearing on the PK is awful. You can take a slapper, but who knows what direction the computer will decide to fire in. Using R1 to clear seems to result in launching it into the crowd more often than not, and it's tough to just chip the puck along the boards.

Speaking of defense, imagine using the right stick to control poke checks, and stick lifts, instead of relying on frantic button pushing, with your timing, accuracy (The direction of your poke/life) and the speed you hit the stick with contributing to the chances of success or a penalty.
It would be nice to get in front of the net on D, and use the left stick (With L2 facing the puck carrier, EA, please bring that back. I'm so sick of trying to face a guy, and being completely hosed when the puck hits the goalie and i can't turn to do anything) and then with your right stick you can try to time it so you lift the stick, or even slash it down to break up a pass/shot (with the added chance of snapping the stick and getting whistled for slashing.)

I would love for EA to especially give defense a makeover.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #86
Pro

sabres32's Arena

OVR: 2
Be a GM or owner mode is the important part of the ea sports nhl series. I love being able to control a team and attempt to make them successful. I just wish it was more in depth and more challenging. Basically an ultra realistic be a GM mode would make me one happy dude. I can't believe how much be a GM is lacking in NHL 15. At least in the previous games it was some what interesting. Please EA, make the best be a GM or owner mode that a video game has ever had to offer.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #87
Rookie

if nhl could get a madden type owner mode I would jump for joy. I would love for them to shoot for a mvp 2005 type owner mode since that was the best owner mode ever created
Old 02-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #88
Rookie

kyussmanchu's Arena

GAMEFACE FFS!!! We've been asking for this damn feature for over a decade!!!! Make a poper Be a Player/Pro mode...

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »