Home

9th Circuit Upholds NCAA Can't Restrict Athletes

This is a discussion on 9th Circuit Upholds NCAA Can't Restrict Athletes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: 9th Circuit Upholds NCAA Can't Restrict Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
Nah, man. I'm not saying it's easy. You guys are better men than me as I tried to edit my Bulldogs back in like 2004; I was burned out after only 1/3 of the team. LOL. You guys put in work.

But I was speaking to how easy it is to download a roster file. It literally takes less than a minute. I saw a piece on HBO with Ed Obannon and Brian Gumble and he walked through the process to download the real players. I think that would dissuade EA or 2K from even including the option. I don't know how that would hold up in a court of law but I would expect EA to be ultra cautious here seeing as they have already paid damages. Heck, they don't even use the school colors anymore in Madden for the draft class stories. It's all black now. Like I said, I could maybe see editing, but no sharing on any level. I remember the old days of buying a memory card from DT Linder (I think) and having it shipped to me back in the day.
Ok, yeah I see your point. And I agree that EA probably shouldn't include a roster share for that very point. But they could still include editing tools. And still allow us to save. And thus, we could go back to the old school method which didn't get anyone in trouble.

But I think I'd like to make a real point here again - the vast majority of the public never even knew you could name the players. I was always shocked by that. I spoke with so many people who were oblivious to that.

Now the reason I'm making that point isn't to defend the way it used to be and say EA shouldn't have gotten in trouble. Rather I'm trying to make this point because I do believe the title would sell well without players resembling the real players.

All they need to do is plug in completely random rosters, include an editor and the game will sell extremely well, 95% of the public will play with whoever is in the game whether it's like the real guy or not and not give a crap.

The 5% of us, or hell maybe even the 1% of us like here at OS if given the tools to edit rosters, even not sharing them online but in some fashion being able to save the file, would be able to figure out what we need to make it real.

And for people like DTLinder who try to do it and profit, hell let the NCAA go after them people and sue the crap out of them. They are part of the reason this all happened to begin with because of them advertising on Ebay and other sites selling the real players.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 10-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Not true, there's legal precedent as Microsoft was sued in the earlier days of MS Word for plagiarism and courts upheld that MS was just supplying the tools and had no control over how they were used. The courts directed the lawsuit to the person who stole anothers work, as they would do here if someone was selling rosters.

Even if this is true, just make it so there's the ability to edit rosters but no way to online share and we can all just go back to the gameshark days. I'm cool with that.
I am not familiar with the details of that suit, though I doubt it would be a similar enough issue to prevent suit against EA if roster sharing was permitted in a new NCAA game. While it could impact whether EA lost or not, I doubt it would prevent the need to defend a suit. That said, I agree with you that simply removing roster sharing (while leaving in the ability to edit and create) would seem to be enough. And that would certainly work for me!
Old 10-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #35
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeBruhChill
The whole notion of "amaueturism" that the NCAA tries to project is nonsense. Are these kids student-athletes? Yes. But this idea that a full ride is adquate compensation and other rules resctrictions under the guise that it is unfair to the student population as a whole is garbage. The NCAA makes a near billion dollar profit of the labor of "amateurs". ESPN doesn't have a 8 billion dollar tv deal for the student body, they have it for "amateurs". These universities make millions of dollar on "amateurs". Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Kevin Ollie make 5+ mill to coach "amateurs". The money they make their schools well covers their free rides.

These kids should have a right to their individual brand on things outside of university revenue. They should be able to sell rings and sign autographs. Those things are valuable because of the work THEY did. They should get a cut of their jersey sales and they should be compentsated for things like video games.

They need to resolve this, because no one is winning, both in video games and real life.

I mean college hoops 2k17?! Nuts
Thats my issue the NCAA uses sponsors and allow schools to have tv channels to gain profit. If NCAA can allow sneaker companies to provide teams with shoes,equipment and clothing which technically is gifts. Why cant they allow schools to receive some benefits from having video games made

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
Thats my issue the NCAA uses sponsors and allow schools to have tv channels to gain profit. If NCAA can allow sneaker companies to provide teams with shoes,equipment and clothing which technically is gifts. Why cant they allow schools to receive some benefits from having video games made

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Because the NCAA is stupid, arbitrary and insane?

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 10-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #37
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5
It would be great to have NCAA football on next gen consoles.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #38
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Ok, yeah I see your point. And I agree that EA probably shouldn't include a roster share for that very point. But they could still include editing tools. And still allow us to save. And thus, we could go back to the old school method which didn't get anyone in trouble.

But I think I'd like to make a real point here again - the vast majority of the public never even knew you could name the players. I was always shocked by that. I spoke with so many people who were oblivious to that.

Now the reason I'm making that point isn't to defend the way it used to be and say EA shouldn't have gotten in trouble. Rather I'm trying to make this point because I do believe the title would sell well without players resembling the real players.

All they need to do is plug in completely random rosters, include an editor and the game will sell extremely well, 95% of the public will play with whoever is in the game whether it's like the real guy or not and not give a crap.

The 5% of us, or hell maybe even the 1% of us like here at OS if given the tools to edit rosters, even not sharing them online but in some fashion being able to save the file, would be able to figure out what we need to make it real.

And for people like DTLinder who try to do it and profit, hell let the NCAA go after them people and sue the crap out of them. They are part of the reason this all happened to begin with because of them advertising on Ebay and other sites selling the real players.
College, more than anything, is driven by the name on the front of the jersey, not back. Players come and go but school loyalty is forever. I do believe that a title with generic rosters would do well for that very reason. I just want to play with my Bulldogs. I'm gonna built them how I want in dynasty mode, anyway. We are a minority, though. I remember one of the EA devs saying only 3 or 4% of NCAA Football users used the draft import feature. I was floored because I would have sworn that half, easily used it.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
College, more than anything, is driven by the name on the front of the jersey, not back. Players come and go but school loyalty is forever. I do believe that a title with generic rosters would do well for that very reason. I just want to play with my Bulldogs. I'm gonna built them how I want in dynasty mode, anyway. We are a minority, though. I remember one of the EA devs saying only 3 or 4% of NCAA Football users used the draft import feature. I was floored because I would have sworn that half, easily used it.
Also to go along with this if they had to go all random players. I would think that there is a good chance you won't be able to edit them and IF a roster share is a problem then I am over confident that editing wouldn't be in the game either. For the same reasons as above. Not many people edit rosters themselves. So if there is no roster share why would the devs do something that takes up a lot of time to complete for something that the masses aren't even going to use.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Roster editing is not a problem. It violates nothing. Roster sharing for a profit could cause problems, and a roster share brings in a lot of confusion, but at this point based on history, is not violating any laws. But if it came down to it, like Odogg said, just take out the online share feature and users can share them via USB like the old days with gamesharks and what not. That would be safe and have nothing unlawful associated with it.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »