Home

Take-Two Interactive & Visual Concepts Sued By Tattoo Artists

This is a discussion on Take-Two Interactive & Visual Concepts Sued By Tattoo Artists within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #153
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Take-Two Interactive & Visual Concepts Sued By Tattoo Artists

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
Well i also grew up on all these 2D games as well but since it's 2016 i would like to have WHOLE PACKAGE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Old 02-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #154
Pro

OVR: 0

I don't think you can sue a TV company for showing a player who happens to have your work represented on them. It isn't the same as suing a gaming studio that's making money by selling a game with your digital recreation in it. The video game is made by a 3rd party and they digitally recreated the work vs a TV show that's just showing live action. I think that's a totally different case.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #155
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
You do realize that people are jerks and will try to take advantage of this situation, we will be the ones who loses. Can you imagine like MSG, EA/2K buying the rights to Tattoos and it's only available on one of the games.
That's a great point coolcras7. You may have given one of these companies an idea
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #156
Pro

Haval93's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't copyright laws only apply for the base image or "tattoo", if you modify the tattoo, the artist can't claim copyrights over it? If so, can't 2K simply modify the tattoos and put it into the game? I'm sure fans would complain that the tattoos look off, but it would be better than nothing.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #157
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
What exposure? There isn't any because 2K does not say who created these tattoos? Nor do the players.

Man exposure doesn't matter at all, who cares who did the tattoos on whoever. If someone cares that much than that individual should find out themselves, nobody owes squat to the artists but what was paid at the time the tattoo was done. Simple as that IMO. Saying to treat tattoos like other art is ridiculous, that's like buying a painting then selling it and having to give the artist a cut... No way in hell should u do that when you paid in full at the time of purchase. Now if someone is selling saying "I did this" that's what would make this situation valid, but nobody on 2Ks staff is saying "look we made these tattoos" a money grab is exactly what this is and nothing less. Now if there was a contract (I will put this tattoo on your body but I will always own it) before the tattoos where done then ok I get that but I never seen that done and I have tattoos myself done professionally. The person that owns the tattoo is the person that paid for it and who has to look at it for eternity, no one else.

Shot from my 6s Plus

GT: iReP PHiLLYx89
Old 02-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #158
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

LeBron......

Quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James wasn't aware of a lawsuit that's out there involving the ink on his body, but when informed the gist of it, he was a bit puzzled.

"So even if I designed it (the tattoo), the company owns it?" James asked.

Solid Oak Sketches filed a $1.1 million lawsuit in a New York federal court Monday against NBA 2K Games, Take-Two Software and Visual Concepts claiming unauthorized reproductions of the tattoo designs they crafted on James, Kobe Bryant and other NBA players.

Among the eight designs in question are a child's portrait and script scrolls with clouds and doves on the forearms of James; and butterflies on the arm of the Lakers' Kobe Bryant.

S.O.S alleges to own copyrights of the tattoos and stated they never permitted the visuals of their art to be used by those companies. There is a precedent for such suits.

Previously: Tattoo artists want money for designs in NBA 2K16; you agree?

Tattoo artist S. Victor Whitmill, who created the face tattoo design for former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson, sued Warner Bros. in 2011 for using his design on a character in the movie, "The Hangover Part II."

The suit was eventually settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

Jokingly, James said, "I'm going to copyright my lips," as he retreated to take the court for shootaround in advance of tonight's game against the Charlotte Hornets. The lawsuit appears to be something he's not too concerned with.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #159
Pro

Geolink's Arena

OVR: 4

Will the barbers sue next for face scanning the players hair?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #160
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

How is all of this stuff even accounted for? If an NBA player gets a tattoo does he have to have his lawyer present? Or do tattoo shops have you fill out a bunch of paper work like when you're buying a house or something? Do they keep detailed records of every celebrities tattoos that the create just for situations like this?

If Lebron says that he designed the tattoo and the Solid Oak Sketches says that they did is there even a way to prove it? I guess it's his word against theirs, but what reason would Lebron have for saying that it's his design?

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »