Home

MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #89
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
The formula for WAR is well defined, but there are different flavors. There's no sense in adding a stat like WAR into a simulation baseball game unless you are trying to make it reflect the real life calculations to some extent. So far, it looks like they've done a reasonable job approximating WAR with their version. We need to see more data.

You're in the minority if you like the scouting system I'd have to think. You can re-read my earlier post for a summary of some of the main issues. Several threads have appeared on OS addressing this and many people do not even do the scouting because it's so contrived/limited/seems like busy work.

I was discussing what I saw in the new version, not last years version. I'm familiar with last years version. I saw bb/9, k/9 and h/9 instead of makeup. That is a major improvement and is more realistic.

For those who sim and then complain when you set parameters for players the game generates players fitting your parameters. People sim scouting and training, sim years in advance and then complain about what they see. The solution is don't sim. Take time to do the work.

There is room for improvement in last year's system but it appears they have worked on scouting.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #90
Rookie

Kalkano's Arena

OVR: 2

So, if a scouted player has a contact rating of 45, and a projected rating of 60, and his potential is 80, does that mean he is extremely likely to reach that projected contact rating of 60? Am I interpreting that right?

Also, the thing that I dislike about scouting, is the way we choose who/what we're looking for and where. It just feels...random...

I don't really see the logic in asking scout #1 to specifically look for starting pitchers with control in Jamaica, and scout #2 to specifically look for center fielders with good power in the U.S. I'd like that whole process to be scrapped.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #91
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalkano
So, if a scouted player has a contact rating of 45, and a projected rating of 60, and his potential is 80, does that mean he is extremely likely to reach that projected contact rating of 60? Am I interpreting that right?

Also, the thing that I dislike about scouting, is the way we choose who/what we're looking for and where. It just feels...random...

I don't really see the logic in asking scout #1 to specifically look for starting pitchers with control in Jamaica, and scout #2 to specifically look for center fielders with good power in the U.S. I'd like that whole process to be scrapped.
What you saw in the video has to do with the 20/80 scale, so his rating is not 60 and his potential is not 80, that's his grade using the scale.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2016, 10:54 PM   #92
MVP

OVR: 0

https://youtu.be/ZNv37mE3ENE?t=1222

LOL - I noticed on the scouting screen a guy named "Dan Obama". I wonder if Trump will be in next year's game and if so will he have the comb over.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:28 PM   #93
Rookie

Kalkano's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
What you saw in the video has to do with the 20/80 scale, so his rating is not 60 and his potential is not 80, that's his grade using the scale.
I know. My question already had that in mind.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:35 PM   #94

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Performance and attribute boosts are not equivalent. High morale doesn't make you run faster, jump higher, throw harder, swing better. It may put you in better spirits and you may get better results, but your physical talent has not changed. Big difference.
Can I ask where this was suggested otherwise?
Old 02-20-2016, 11:54 PM   #95
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Performance and attribute boosts are not equivalent. High morale doesn't make you run faster, jump higher, throw harder, swing better. It may put you in better spirits and you may get better results, but your physical talent has not changed. Big difference.

Also, how is a Dominican player who speaks Spanish having a "compatriot" on his team at all a good comparison for an American in a Russian hockey league? Are you suggesting Spanish speaking players are a rarity in MLB as English speakers would be in Russia? That analogy is a stretch at best. Latino culture is everywhere in MLB. I would buy this comparison for Japanese players, but again, they are a very small minority in MLB.
I highly doubt a players speed will change. Maybe contact. Fielding and such. I just think your being a bit nitpicky. The analogy is fine. If your a Cuban player it'd be nice to have another Cuban on the team. Or Venuzualen. That's like saying British/American are the same because they speak English.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2016, 12:00 AM   #96
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Can I ask where this was suggested otherwise?
The whole premise of this discussion is that some people think it's ok to boost/nerf attributes based on morale and others (like me) think it's unrealistic. I think there's a pretty strong suggestion that some people view this morale system as an acceptable way to influence performance via attribute boosts and some people don't want that. To me, changing attributes goes along with a change in skill and physical traits, which is what this morale system appears to be doing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »