Home

Does Steph Curry Justify Greater Than an 99 Overall Rating?

This is a discussion on Does Steph Curry Justify Greater Than an 99 Overall Rating? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #65
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Does Steph Curry Justify Greater Than an 99 Overall Rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
This is just getting embarrassed for you...

"Knicks beat the Bulls in 93 with Jordan they are clearly not much weaker without him."
Bulls managed their first 3peat in 93, after then Houston took it twice and then another 3peat for Bulls. You guys don't understand that Curry needs in game just extra long range not thousands of badges or 100 rating lol..my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #66
Rookie

iki319's Arena

I don't think Curry deserves a 99 overall. He's a great offensive player but that's it. Overall should account for everything from offense, defense, athleticism, and rebounding (maybe not for guards though).

He deserves a 99 in shooting but I he's not near 90 in defense in my books. Yes he gets his steals but he isn't even the biggest threat on D on his team. Watching the playoff recently, i noticed Thompson is the one assigned on Lillard during clutch moments. To me, he's the 6th best defensive player on the Warriors behind Green, Iggy, Bogut, Klay, and Barns. His Speed and athleticism is good but noting compared to Westbrook and Wall.

I believe a 99 overall should go to an all around player. Curry is an amazing shooter that i think it (along with the right teammates) masks his weaknesses on the court.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #67
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

The Curry D hating has gone too far. He is excellent at stealing the ball and is also a pro at harassing other dribblers as they pass him. He is also always in the right spot and switches perfectly.

Just because he doesn't man up the best player doesn't make him a BA defender. Dude is 6'2" and 180. Of course a guy like klay or iggy will be better at manning up super athletic wings and guards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #68
Pro

99 OVR player in reality means perfect all-around player, that shoots well, rebounds at excellent rate, is super athletic, great lockdown defender and to sum it up a player that has literally no flaws. Player like that obviously doesn't exist nowadays and these 99 myplayers are some fictional 2K picture how would look like one such player.

According to 2K rating mechanism 99 player must be severely overrated in many aspects to compesate such high rating. Now let's see 95 & 96 speed and acceleration is overrated in first place and visible by naked eye. You can't compesate such things just so one player becomes 99 or whatever rating developer is targeting to present.

Westbrook on other hand have 97 speed and acceleration, so he is only 2 points higher in speed and 1 point better in acceleration where in reality he is miles away more athletic than Curry. What is even more insane John Wall rates 97 in speed and 90 in acceleration, in which universe Curry accelerates faster than John Wall i would like to know.

Furthermore Dennis Schröder probably with Wall fastest point guard in league rates laughable 84 in speed and 90 in acceleration.

To sum it up 99 OVR should NOT exist, Curry do have flaws just like any other player has, have and will have in future. Like one NBA scout wrote scouting report.

Assets
- Simply an offensive wizard with the ball. Elite and otherwordly as a pure shooter, from both far beyond the arc and from the charity stripe. Has mesmerizing one-on-one scoring moves and highly creative passing skills. Does a fantastic job of reading the 'D' and making the play.

Flaws
- Small for an NBA guard and struggle at times as a defender in post-up/one-on-one situations against bigger, stronger opponents. Gets turnover-prone for stretches. Ankle injuries were an issue early in his career and his durability is questionable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Old 05-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #69
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

The only players with a better single-season win shares per 48 than Steph Curry in 2015-16 are Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (three times), Wilt Chamberlain (once), LeBron James (twice), and Michael Jordan (once).

I don't know about "greater than 99 OVR", but he's clearly having one of the best seasons of all-time by that metric and certainly deserves an elite rating. His total impact on games this season is indomitable.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #70
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
No, they don't. They have the Limitless Range badge for that.

This is what people don't get. OVERALL RATING ISN'T THE ONLY INDICATOR OF HOW GOOD A PLAYER IS.

Player A: 98 overall, 50 badges
Player B: 99 overall, 20 badges

Player A is OBVIOUSLY better.
the limitless range badge is a joke on curry. i would agree if there would be your regular limitless range badge and the steph curry limitless rang badge.

Last edited by Bernte; 05-11-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The Curry D hating has gone too far. He is excellent at stealing the ball and is also a pro at harassing other dribblers as they pass him. He is also always in the right spot and switches perfectly.

Just because he doesn't man up the best player doesn't make him a BA defender. Dude is 6'2" and 180. Of course a guy like klay or iggy will be better at manning up super athletic wings and guards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But he's not an elite defender and that's the issue. How can you give a guy a 99 overall rating when he's average/good on defense but not elite? He's a product of this generation of small ball too. He gets a good amount of boards but that's a huge benefit from today's players being smaller. He wouldn't be getting that many boards in the 90s, which in 2K you have to account for since it has players from all eras.

I think we can all agree that Curry should be a 99 or close to it with his shooting and ball handling ratings. Passing can be 90s as well but definitely not 99. Rebounding and defense though? Nowhere near the 90s. Therefore, you can't justify making him a 99 overall.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #72
Pro

Does Steph Curry Justify Greater Than an 99 Overall Rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyClaxton
99 OVR player in reality means perfect all-around player, that shoots well, rebounds at excellent rate, is super athletic, great lockdown defender and to sum it up a player that has literally no flaws. Player like that obviously doesn't exist nowadays and these 99 myplayers are some fictional 2K picture how would look like one such player.

According to 2K rating mechanism 99 player must be severely overrated in many aspects to compesate such high rating. Now let's see 95 & 96 speed and acceleration is overrated in first place and visible by naked eye. You can't compesate such things just so one player becomes 99 or whatever rating developer is targeting to present.

Westbrook on other hand have 97 speed and acceleration, so he is only 2 points higher in speed and 1 point better in acceleration where in reality he is miles away more athletic than Curry. What is even more insane John Wall rates 97 in speed and 90 in acceleration, in which universe Curry accelerates faster than John Wall i would like to know.

Furthermore Dennis Schröder probably with Wall fastest point guard in league rates laughable 84 in speed and 90 in acceleration.

To sum it up 99 OVR should NOT exist, Curry do have flaws just like any other player has, have and will have in future. Like one NBA scout wrote scouting report.

Assets

- Simply an offensive wizard with the ball. Elite and otherwordly as a pure shooter, from both far beyond the arc and from the charity stripe. Has mesmerizing one-on-one scoring moves and highly creative passing skills. Does a fantastic job of reading the 'D' and making the play.

Flaws

- Small for an NBA guard and struggle at times as a defender in post-up/one-on-one situations against bigger, stronger opponents. Gets turnover-prone for stretches. Ankle injuries were an issue early in his career and his durability is questionable.

And Jordan was perfect in every way and had absolutely no weakness or area of his game he wasn't the best at? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Jordan wasn't great and all but by the logic u are using no one should be a 99 not even Jordan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »