Home

MLB The Show 17 Patch 1.03 Available Now, Here Are The Details

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Patch 1.03 Available Now, Here Are The Details within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #137
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: MLB The Show 17 Patch 1.03 Available Now, Here Are The Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPeener
No, sir. You are not allowed to get away with that. You can't just do a drive-by-insult using fallacies and then say "let's just agree to disagree".
Quote:
Based on the totality of your post, I feel it necessary to remind everyone that the significant majority of programmers are not good programmers.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #138
Pro

OVR: 5

They have artists who work on uniforms, stadiums, etc. They have other programmers who work on the modes/gameplay. You can't just take one of the artists off uniforms and say, go work on franchise contracts.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #139
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00p1
They have artists who work on uniforms, stadiums, etc. They have other programmers who work on the modes/gameplay. You can't just take one of the artists off uniforms and say, go work on franchise contracts.
Interesting factoid. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #140
Rookie

Mav3rek7's Arena

Quote:
No, sir. You are not allowed to get away with that. You can't just do a drive-by-insult using fallacies and then say "let's just agree to disagree".
I wasn't insulting you. Sorry you felt that way.

Quote:
What evidence do you have that it's not difficult to add a new sleeve or update an old one post-release?

What evidence do you have that this difficulty is "infinitely" easier than reprogramming a logic component?
Evidence..

Let's take MVP 2005 for example, PC version. If I wanted to, oh I don't know, change the way a jersey looks. Do you know what I had to do? Download the .psd template from mvpmods.com, put the colors I want on top of what's already there, import it into the game, and boom! Done. Simple. Quick/Easy fix graphic fix. Takes all of 10 minutes.

Quote:

Now you're moving the goal posts, saying that memory space was but one factor. Setting aside that you haven't even proved that the Xbox / PS2 didn't have enough memory to add official accessories, it's a trivial issue.

My point was that one of the major reasons why games a generation ago had franchise logic - contracts, trades, player progression - and not Adidas batting gloves - is because coding logic that's entirely unrelated to the graphics / physics engine was doable on a computer made in 1990. What I'm saying is that these graphic upgrades are unnecessary thrills. It never breaks the game if your player doesn't have his Nike socks. It does break the game if you can't offer contract extensions mid-season, causing your players to see drops in morale and thus lower player ratings. My experience while playing the game is worsened far more from unnecessarily, unrealistically low player ratings than from not having the Nike socks I hardly notice.
Not moving anything. Was actually agreeing with you that there was more to it than just memory capacity issues.

And for some, having in season contract extensions doesn't break the game for them, but not having Nike socks does. Your argument is only pertinent to you and people who feel it's broken because of this as well. It can go both ways.

Quote:
Who are you talking to? What are you trying to teach anybody? For all the non-programmers out there, I guess you've successfully convinced them that programming is hard, except for when it's just visual stuff.
You... I'm talking to you. All I've tried to explain since the first post was that it's not as simple as you believe it to be and that putting out a quick patch that changes a jersey sleeve is easier than reprogramming something that alters logic.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #141
Rookie

Not sure if it was mentioned, but seems as though the patch screwed up the stadium music, hardly hear any rally music now

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #142
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav3rek7
Let's take MVP 2005 for example, PC version. If I wanted to, oh I don't know, change the way a jersey looks. Do you know what I had to do? Download the .psd template from mvpmods.com, put the colors I want on top of what's already there, import it into the game, and boom! Done. Simple. Quick/Easy fix graphic fix. Takes all of 10 minutes.
I was talking about Show '17. What evidence do you have that it's not difficult to add a new sleeve or update an old one post-release in '17? What evidence do you have that this difficulty is "infinitely" easier than reprogramming a logic component in '17?

Quote:
And for some, having in season contract extensions doesn't break the game for them, but not having Nike socks does. Your argument is only pertinent to you and people who feel it's broken because of this as well. It can go both ways.
You're right. I'm starting to get the impression that this game wasn't made for me, and I'm wasting my time. Sad considering there's no alternative. I guess the developers don't feel like my $60 is worth as much as the Nike sock guy.

Quote:
You... I'm talking to you. All I've tried to explain since the first post was that it's not as simple as you believe it to be and that putting out a quick patch that changes a jersey sleeve is easier than reprogramming something that alters logic.
When you have some evidence for any of your claims, let me know.

EDIT: I should note that your last point is a straw man. I never claimed this is a matter of fixing contract logic vs releasing a quick patch that fixes one sleeve. I was talking about development in general, either for '17, its patches, '18, or beyond. I want the contract issue fixed, whether that be tomorrow, next month, or next year. I'm not saying they shouldn't patch a sleeve and instead should patch contracts. I'm saying they need to re-evaluate their priorities when developing the game. They put so much time and effort into the graphics (far more than you understand), yet so little time seemingly goes into other aspects that break the game for a lot of users. I stand by my claim that adding mid-season contract extensions is a relatively easy task, and I'm well aware of how complicated it is. That's why I say "relatively."

Last edited by BillPeener; 04-12-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #143
Rookie

Mav3rek7's Arena

Quote:
I was talking about Show '17. What evidence do you have that it's not difficult to add a new sleeve or update an old one post-release in '17? What evidence do you have that this difficulty is "infinitely" easier than reprogramming a logic component in '17?

You're right. I'm starting to get the impression that this game wasn't made for me, and I'm wasting my time. Sad considering there's no alternative. I guess the developers don't feel like my $60 is worth as much as the Nike sock guy.

When you have some evidence for any of your claims, let me know.
We can go round and round forever. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but at this point I feel like we aren't going to achieve anything constructive.

You want hard physical evidence that I can't provide without seeing the code/talking to a developer of The Show. I was just speaking on relative/general terms of how programming works, and I would almost guarantee it's setup that way. But, choose to believe however you see it.

Either way, let's just drop it and move on. Nothing good is coming of this.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #144
MVP

OVR: 2

Please stop. I take your words that some of you are developers. But unless you actually work on the game, it's all speculation. I am a seasoned developer myself, though I have never worked at a gaming company (presently I work at an insurance company). Anyway I have been programming professionally since before many of the people here were even born. That does not make me some sort of know-it-all superstar. No, but I have 30+ years of experience to draw on. I have bugs in some of the systems I presently support. I really want to fix them. In some cases I have fixed the bugs as it is my instinct to fix the bugs once they are discovered. But they are not deployed yet, especially when there is some sort of work around and/or data fix. You see it's not up to me as to what code is deployed and what isn't. That decision rests with business and management. You guys can argue all day long about why your favorite feature needs to be addressed. The bottom line is it is up to brass at SDS to decide what their developers work on. If anyone of us does not like this, we don't have to buy the game ... next year.

In closing, I cannot help but laugh and think about that scene from Money Ball when Billy Bean is trying to recruit Scott Hatteberg to play 1B. Billy Bean tells Scott, "Playing 1B is easy, tell him Ron" followed by Ron the 1B coach saying "Playing 1B is incredibly difficult". Well I'm like Ron. Writing good code is incredibly difficult.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »