Home

MLB The Show Server Issues: Detailing the Saga So Far

This is a discussion on MLB The Show Server Issues: Detailing the Saga So Far within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #57
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB The Show Server Issues: Detailing the Saga So Far

By the way, I'm no mod, but I am sort of pleasantly surprised by how mature most of the discussion in this thread has been. It's a very contentious and hair-trigger topic and, nonetheless, most are making logical, valid arguments without resorting to all caps 'flinging poo' at one another. To put it eloquently.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #58
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwilli4

Boy was she wrong. A month later and not only has than extra $40 been TOTALLY wasted, but I can't even play OFFLINE franchise games for fear of those being lost as well! Every time I disconnect my PS4 Pro from the internet so I can play The Show, I wonder why I didn't just drive to my parents house and dig out my old PS4.
As long as you have auto-save on, it won't be lost. I have yet to lose an RttS series from the freeze.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbauer318
Cloud infrastructure isn't some magical thing that can heal all wounds. The services and backend have to be well written and scalable too. Not only that, but you have to set up the infrastructure properly as well. These issues could be caused by any number of things.
Yes...and the proper back end provider would ensure these were all taken into account, properly scaled and tested (stress tests, etc). No brainer.

C
Old 04-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
I've actually seen about enough of your accusations. We don't protect devs. We ask that people speak to them like adults in a mature way.

Just because we don't lash out at devs in articles in no way means we "protect" them. You need to get past that mindset or, as others have said, find another place to push your agenda.
Sorry if you see these as accusations -- I probably could have worded things better on a few posts, but I've been complimentary to OS on the whole. For example, earlier in this thread I wrote:

"OS does a good job overall of moderating comments, but it's certainly conservative and errs on the side of OVERprotecting dev teams (which is the deal you make with the devil if you want them on your site). I am quite pleased with this write-up -- it's very un-OS-like to take a semi-hard stance like it does. Kudos."

I think that's fair: it's written in a mature way, and while it implies some criticism of OS, it's not "bashing" anybody . The "deal with the devil" isn't meant literally, of course, but it's just a fact that if you want devs to come here and interact then certainly modding becomes "stricter" or "more conservative" or whatever we label it. Those relationships are sensitive; I get that, and that's all I'm trying to convey. So when the site backs up member outrage on a dev team that handed out a non-apology and has been silent ever since, it's satisfying (at least to me).
Old 04-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #61
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
Sorry if you see these as accusations -- I probably could have worded things better on a few posts, but I've been complimentary to OS on the whole. For example, earlier in this thread I wrote:

"OS does a good job overall of moderating comments, but it's certainly conservative and errs on the side of OVERprotecting dev teams (which is the deal you make with the devil if you want them on your site). I am quite pleased with this write-up -- it's very un-OS-like to take a semi-hard stance like it does. Kudos."

I think that's fair: it's written in a mature way, and while it implies some criticism of OS, it's not "bashing" anybody . The "deal with the devil" isn't meant literally, of course, but it's just a fact that if you want devs to come here and interact then certainly modding becomes "stricter" or "more conservative" or whatever we label it. Those relationships are sensitive; I get that, and that's all I'm trying to convey. So when the site backs up member outrage on a dev team that handed out a non-apology and has been silent ever since, it's satisfying (at least to me).
That's just the thing - we don't exactly have relationships. Devs come here of their own free will. If they didn't, we'd still operate and succeed as we did prior to their interaction. Dev interaction here is for the good of gaming, not for the good of this site.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
That's just the thing - we don't exactly have relationships. Devs come here of their own free will. If they didn't, we'd still operate and succeed as we did prior to their interaction. Dev interaction here is for the good of gaming, not for the good of this site.
PM sent so as to not hijack thread. Thanks for responding.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #63
Pro

OVR: 5
First I am a big fan of the game and appreciate that SDS worked hard to make so many improvements in the game even though there is really no competitive pressure to do so. MLB 17 The Show is truly the only game in town for baseball. Having begun playing baseball games on the PC with Tony Larussa Baseball it is truly amazing how far the game has progressed.

I also must admit that I do not play games on-line and so have not suffered as others have done with the server issues. Because of travelling I could not even install the game until one week after the launch date. I am sure that the problems of the servers have caused a lot of frustration among users especially since all the promotion before the launch built up a greatly enhanced anticipation of the release of the game. Having seen in promotions how great the game can be they are disappointed now that they are not able to play with regularity the game as they expected. Thus, I have empathy for how they feel. That being said, I see here really two issues:

The first issue is with the servers. This was a problem also last year so it cannot be a complete surprise. Perhaps it is not possible to fully test the system until it is under the full load after launch. Perhaps some of the enhancements are contributing to the issues. We assume that SDS is working hard to fix these problems as quickly as possible. This is an issue which to some extent is temporarily beyond the control of SDS.

The second is with communication. During the lead up to the launch we heard often from the developers about all the enhancements and improvements. However, after the launch when the server problems occured we heard very little. This lack of information helps feed the frustration by giving an impression that perhaps SDS is not puruing every effort to solve the problem as quickly as possible. This silence can even be misread by some as indicating a type of arrogance. I believe frank and honest communications from the developers about what the problems are, what they are doing to fix it and when they expect the problems to be resolved would go a long way to reducing the frustration among many of the users who are suffering from the server issues.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #64
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
I like the game, I like the guys at SDS that I have interacted with, but this is two years in a row of major server issues on release....fool me once...As a consumer its unacceptable. On hardcore sites like this one SDS get a pass, because for the most part their gameplay has been stellar for a while. If a certain football game had issues like this in back to back releases the forums would burn. SDS needs to do a much better job communicating, but doing their due diligence to prevent this from happening again. Two years in a row has moved this game from a Day 1 to a "wait for the kinks to be worked out" purchase.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »