Home

One of the biggest things separating college from NFL

This is a discussion on One of the biggest things separating college from NFL within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2022, 08:05 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
One of the biggest things separating college from NFL

is recruiting. I wonder how the new game will handle that and would be interested in feedback from forum members as to what they thought of NCAA 14 recruiting and what changes they would make.

I thought 14 did a lot of things right. Scouting recruits to determine ability and pitch info were good ideas. The downside was it was too easy for low level teams to get great recruits and I had to self impose recruiting restrictions which is something I don't like to do. I prefer the game does it right so I don't have concoct some restrictions on myself
Old 09-27-2022, 10:10 PM   #2
MVP

Re: One of the biggest things separating college from NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydengates
Unfortunately this function is not valid, I also did this manually.
Do you have any thoughts on ways to add to recruiting and team management?

I was thinking a school budget with decisions made on what to spend it on. Categories like facilities, recruiting, coaching staff, NIL.

Better facilities help players progress better. More money to recruiting allows coaches to scout more players. More money for staff allows for hiring better assistant and position coaches all of whom have ratings in multiple categories which translate to player abilities.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:01 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 1

Yeah, the more I play Madden, the more I hope they bring none of the scouting or anything like that over from that game. It's extremely unrewarding and unrealistic. Their old system wasn't great either but the new one is worse. A copy paste from 14 would be better, though I assume we're at least getting letter grades instead of straight up ratings, which is fine.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
Yeah, the more I play Madden, the more I hope they bring none of the scouting or anything like that over from that game. It's extremely unrewarding and unrealistic. Their old system wasn't great either but the new one is worse. A copy paste from 14 would be better, though I assume we're at least getting letter grades instead of straight up ratings, which is fine.
I haven't played Madden in many years. In NCAA 14 you got a letter grade until you fully scouted a player and then you got a number.

14 was good but there is a lot of room for improvement in recruiting for the new game.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:23 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I haven't played Madden in many years. In NCAA 14 you got a letter grade until you fully scouted a player and then you got a number.

14 was good but there is a lot of room for improvement in recruiting for the new game.
Madden has regional scouts now, so you like tell one guy to look at all the DBs in the west region or whatever. It’s just not nearly as good as actually going through yourself and picking who you want to scout.

In general I like fog of war features so I’m happy if we don’t see their exact ratings, but I want to be able to pick who I scout. It’s 2023, we can get tape on anybody.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2022, 02:11 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
Madden has regional scouts now, so you like tell one guy to look at all the DBs in the west region or whatever. It’s just not nearly as good as actually going through yourself and picking who you want to scout.

In general I like fog of war features so I’m happy if we don’t see their exact ratings, but I want to be able to pick who I scout. It’s 2023, we can get tape on anybody.
I'm in Columbia MO so I'm more familiar with Missouri but I'm pretty sure most college football staffs host high school camps where combine type testing takes place. I know in the past Missouri has discovered some outstanding players from small towns who weren't being recruited at these camps. They test them and then look at body type and work ethic/attitude to envision how each athlete could develop.

For the college game it shouldn't be total fog of war. Coaching staffs have a pretty good idea from those camps what the ability is of the players they are recruiting. Missouri used to send coaches to camps in Texas as a guest coach and that helped enormously with Missouri going from more than a decade of consecutive losing seasons to a respectable football team. If they are recruiting a guy they haven't seen at a camp then it is more foggy but if they have seen and tested a player at a camp they have a good idea what his attributes are.

Perhaps in the future that's something they could incorporate - high school camps.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »