Home

Are poor reviews due to online play?

This is a discussion on Are poor reviews due to online play? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2024, 02:34 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Are poor reviews due to online play?

When I read reviews about the latest NBA 2K games, most of it is complaining about microtransactions and paying to level up you myplayer.

If I don't play online and don't care about unlocking shoes or whatever, how are these games that way? I would be playing alone, playerlock with a created player, or I'd be playing with friends on the same team on the same screen.

So, does that mean the game will still suck for me, or what?

For reference, I really haven't played an NBA game since 2k13. The controls have crapped out and I never really felt like I had control of my player since 2K8 really. I just feel like the developers have spent way too much time trying to make it look like a real game of basketball, but they forgot to make it play good. Take away the graphics and play with little circles as the players. How does it feel?

Last edited by Boge; 01-16-2024 at 02:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2024, 07:17 PM   #2
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Are poor reviews due to online play?

for single player, its a very good game. you can adjust the sliders to your liking. it will be a little overwhelming since you have not played for years.

take your time a practice the dribbling and shooting mechanics, watch 2ktv for expert tips and start on semi-pro or pro difficulty.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:07 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge
When I read reviews about the latest NBA 2K games, most of it is complaining about microtransactions and paying to level up you myplayer.

If I don't play online and don't care about unlocking shoes or whatever, how are these games that way? I would be playing alone, playerlock with a created player, or I'd be playing with friends on the same team on the same screen.

So, does that mean the game will still suck for me, or what?

For reference, I really haven't played an NBA game since 2k13. The controls have crapped out and I never really felt like I had control of my player since 2K8 really. I just feel like the developers have spent way too much time trying to make it look like a real game of basketball, but they forgot to make it play good. Take away the graphics and play with little circles as the players. How does it feel?
It’s pretty good for franchise. If you’re on ps5 or Xbox series x or s there’s MyEras where you start in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s, or modern day. It’s really cool. You can customize almost everything. They didn’t really do too much this year for franchise but if you haven’t played in awhile you’ll be pleased with changes.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:25 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 3

Poor Reviews are mainly for the microtransactions and also those still on old gen.

If you are a player that is a franchise guy like myself , its a great game.

Not perfect by any means, but very fun.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:14 PM   #5
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

That's pretty much the main audience. Those who play other modes get their voices drowned out. Other modes are fine MyLeague is one of the best if not the best franchise mode in all of gaming today even though not perfect it beats all the other sports games out there easy.

A lot of kids and young people mainly play online and Myplayer so they will be the most vocal and complain the most. Some are valid complaints and some are silly. Yes we know microtransactions and grindy elements suck, the servers are *** every year, no Billy you can't have a wife and kids in the game.

Last edited by zello144; 01-19-2024 at 05:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2024, 01:40 AM   #6
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_D1
Poor Reviews are mainly for the microtransactions and also those still on old gen.
To clarify re: the latter, the last-gen-related poor reviews are from those who are basically giving bad reviews in protest of last-gen’s very existence (i.e., giving 1-star reviews of TakeTwo/2K Sports, rather than the game itself). For instance, 2K24’s Steam rating was annihilated by review-bombing out of frustration that new-gen hasn’t been brought to PC yet (while it has for other sports titles like Madden and Fifa).

The old-gen 2K21-24 games themselves have been received with essentially the same balance of positivity / negativity as most 2K games are.
Old 01-23-2024, 05:31 PM   #7
Rookie

I haven't played online yet but I assume the games are super low scoring and not attracting people back so often.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:01 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 12

I just realized many of you are probably too young to have played the older basketball games. So you might not know just how shabby the controls have become (in my opinion). Ignorance is bliss, after all.

If any of you were around for older games (NBA live 97, 98, 99) (NBA 2K3, 2K8, maybe 2K11), I'd like to hear your opinion on the controls of the newer games. I haven't played a ton, but every one of them I've played since NBA 2K9, and a little before, just play really sluggish. Animations suck my player control away. Momentum screws up everything. If I was playing just as a circle without player animations showing anything, I'd be so confused and frustrated as to why I can't move where I want to. I'd love to hear I'm wrong. But, sorry, I likely won't believe you unless you're an older NBA gamer.

Anyone?
(sorry if this all sounds insensitive. I just really want to play a good B-ball game, but going back to 2K8 is just too far, and I really need an opinion of a like-minded person.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »