Home

Changed penalty sliders and it made a big difference in the GAMEPLAY.

This is a discussion on Changed penalty sliders and it made a big difference in the GAMEPLAY. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Pro

utorde's Arena

OVR: 12
Changed penalty sliders and it made a big difference in the GAMEPLAY.

EDIT again:

Sorry for deleting what I originally wrote up, wish I had not done it now. When I checked back there had been like 77 views (that seems like what I figured to be the entire group who browses this particular section, maybe not though) and not one single person commented on anything I said and no one answered my question I asked at the end. People sometimes complain about useless topics on here, so after seeing how many views I had gotten with nothing added I just assumed I had made one myself, that's why I deleted everything and asked for it to be deleted in here, since obviously we cannot delete our topics ourselves.

I'm not going to try and type up everything I said originally, way too long, but here's a brief summary of my original posting along with a few new things:

I got this game when it first came out in 2004 for my PS2, now have the Xbox version I use on my 360. And as most everyone else who plays it I too have always had Penalties maxed out due to the sheer fact that there are hardly any penalties ever called, even with them maxed out. I recently ran across a topic from about 2005 or 2006 while I was searching through the sliders section to see if I could figure out a way to get the CPU to complete a better percentage of it's passes (i've been holding the CPU to between 30-43%). I saw a guy had said to leave Penalties at Default 20, this made the players play more aggressive or something like that, don't really remember what he said now. I thought I had nothing to lose so why not try it. I set all penalties to Default 20, left my sliders as is, and played a game. Right away I saw a big difference in the game, almost every aspect of the game had improved.

Since that night, and obviously deleting my original posting, I have been playing about 2 or 3 games a night every since then tweaking my sliders and options as I saw they now needed to be changed again and was optimistic that I could get the stupid CPU QBs to play better, and it has paid off. I am just about 100% satisfied that after all these years I may finally have all the options and sliders set correctly to play a darn good game of football with pretty realistic stats, at least as realistic as one can expect to get out of a video game. And all it took was setting the Penalties to Default 20 to notice how well the CPU was capable of playing and one other thing that will most certainly turn away many of you, turn off Performance EQ. I've had it on for 5 years now myself, but setting Penalties to Default and turning off Performance EQ made everything come together quite nice.

First of all, I am using puja's roster, but my settings would probably work with any roster as I noticed my previous settings got me about the same results no matter if I was using one of the rosters on here or even if I was using the Default 2004 roster that shipped with the game.

Secondly and probably most importantly, I do play a certain way and if you do not play like this I cannot guarantee your results if you choose to use my settings, but they probably will work for you anyway as long as you do not stick to running those plays in the game that just always work to perfection no matter what. Yeah, you know they're there, just don't abuse them, if you do then no settings will ever make a difference.

Anyway, with that said, here is how I play the game. I ALWAYS use Ask Coach for my plays on Offense AND on Defense, and that is the play that I run, no matter what, that is what I run. Now on Offense if they give me a play to run that I had previously called on that same drive then I will pull the trigger again to get a different play, and most of the time if I remember running that same play on my previous possession I will call for a different play, and I try not to run the same play more than 3 times in a game. Other than that I run the Offensive OR Defensive play they suggest no matter what, even if I don't like it and not very good at it I still use it as it just makes the game way too easy if you only run plays you're real good at.

Another thing about running my Offense. I do have Multiple Hot Routes option turned on, but here's another house rule if you will that I stick to. For the most part I don't call hot routes except in critical situations, and even then I set a limit. During a game I will only call a total of 3 hot routes, that is all. If I were to hot route two of my guys during a single play, well, there's two of my hot routes I have limited myself to, meaning I can only call for one more single hot route. Again, this is just because it is way too easy to exploit the CPU if you go all crazy with calling hot routes.

Almost forgot, 4th Down, I punt. Unless of course it's in a part of the field that is too long for a FG and really too short to Punt, or late in the game trying to mount a comeback from behind. You know, the realistic times that one should go for it on 4th.

I believe that about covers it, if I think of anything else i'll come and re-edit. I'm not near my console at the moment, but i'm going to post my settings here from memory. I will be able to check to see if everything is correct around midnight or a bit later tonight, basically about an hour and a half after the Cavaliers/Magic Game 2 tonight. If anything is incorrect I will fix it. The following is how I have everything.

8 Minute Quarters
Performance EQ - Off
Multiple Hot Routes - On
Game Spped - Normal
Penalties - All On & Default 20

Human Blocking: 16
Human Passing: 6
Human Running: 16
Human Catching: 40
Human Coverage: 13
Human Pursuit: 10
Human Tackling: 12
Human Kicking: 11
Human Fatigue: 15

CPU Blocking: 40
CPU Passing: 40
CPU Running: 37
CPU Catching: 39
CPU Coverage: 35
CPU Pursuit: 30
CPU Tackling: 30
CPU Kicking: 40
CPU Fatigue: 30

Injury: 20
Fumble: 20
Interception: 20

With those settings I am getting pretty realistic stats so far, the main downside to having Penalties at Default is that now there is usually none at all called. But I have had a few games where there were just as many called as when I had them maxed out. Not sure what's up with that, if I ever figure out anything i'll let you know. Good thing about having them on Default, the players play much better and it now keeps track of things in the Crib, all those Milestones like for getting 5 tackles in a game and longest TD pass, etc. It never did that with the Penalty sliders changed.

Last edited by utorde; 05-22-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Changed penalty sliders and it made a big difference in the GAMEPLAY.

Well that was helpful
Old 05-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

You deleted this only after ONE day? This isn't exactly the busiest forum on this board. There aren't hundreds of posters surfing here all the time. Have a little patience. I clicked this just to see what you discovered. Please post back what you discovered.

Last edited by KingRex; 05-19-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRex
You deleted this only after ONE day? This isn't exactly the busiest forum on this board. There aren't hunderends of posters surfing here all the time. Have a little patience. I clicked this just to see what you discovered. Please post back what you discovered.
co-sign. I have known this for a while myself. pass interference sliders certainly affect how db's play. lowering def. pass int makes them play more aggressive in coverage.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
You deleted this only after ONE day? This isn't exactly the busiest forum on this board. There aren't hunderends of posters surfing here all the time. Have a little patience. I clicked this just to see what you discovered. Please post back what you discovered.
I read his post. From what I remember he lowered the penalties and saw that players played more aggressively since that they didn't have to worry about the penalty. He saw that the stats were a bit more realistic and the gameplay was improved.

But I think he only did it for one game and was going to post more after a few more games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb-santana
I read his post. From what I remember he lowered the penalties and saw that players played more aggressively since that they didn't have to worry about the penalty. He saw that the stats were a bit more realistic and the gameplay was improved.

But I think he only did it for one game and was going to post more after a few more games.
That is certainly interesting. Improving NFL 2K5's gameplay is what keeps this game fun. I hope the poster continues with the testing and posts additional findings.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
co-sign. I have known this for a while myself. pass interference sliders certainly affect how db's play. lowering def. pass int makes them play more aggressive in coverage.
What if you're using a roster update where the DB's aggression is set to 1? Is there still an improvement there?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

Quote:
What if you're using a roster update where the DB's aggression is set to 1? Is there still an improvement there?
Don't know King. You will have to check that for yourself.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »