Home

Before I Buy, What are some of YOUR issues with the game?

This is a discussion on Before I Buy, What are some of YOUR issues with the game? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 5
Before I Buy, What are some of YOUR issues with the game?

Im fed up with 2K Baseball....I just cant deal with all the glitches and the inferior animations and all around gameplay anymore so I am giving myself an excuse to go out and get a Blue Ray DVD player for the house. Its gonna be a PS3. My question to you all is what are some of the major issues/concerns/dislikes/dissapointments with MLB the Show 09 for you.

This will help me a great deal.....I just dont have the time to sift thru all the posts over the past several months that may touch on this. If someone would be so kind as to simply summarize what the consensus is for what still needs to be addressed going forward

Thanks all....Im very excited about this game

btw, can I change the different pitcher batter camera angles and perspectives if Im not comfortable with the default one?...Also how much camera customization does the game allow for the batter/pitcher and fielding views?

thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Before I Buy, What are some of YOUR issues with the game?

Commentary is buggy, glitchy, repetitive and annoying.
What irks me a bit is that the 1st baseman is almost never at 1st base if the ball gets hit to the outfield. He automatically goes to edge of the infield/outfield and stands there.
Also the pauses between throws. Relays are fine for most part but when you wanna catch a guy off guard at any base after a play there is a good 1-2s pause between the catch and then the throw. I could easily tag the guys out if the pause wasn't there...
Old 06-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 20

The only issue I have is the lineup glitch and that was semi fixed with the patch. I love this game like no other I've ever played.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I find that the outfield moves entirely to fast even with slider adjustments. alot of hits that should be extra base hits go for singles or outs.. also outfield assist happen way to much.. if you get aggressive on the base paths your gonna pay. Just my opinions.. but all in all its the best sports game i have played... and played alot.. my soon to be wife says she is taking it away after we get married.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Banned

This is fantastic to hear...in my opinion, what makes a sports franchise game great is how immersive the gameplay is but also how much distinction and style varies from player to player and from team to team to really give a game a true sensation of realism. I think alot of sports games lack this key element of really capturing all of the different attributes that give this variety to players and ultimately give different teams that different feel and style.

I love NBA 2K9 basketball for this reason because I feel like there is so much distinction between the different players, offensive, defensive and intangible abilities that it makes each game unique and exciting.

How well does The Show demonstrate different defensive characteristics?....One of the things I cant stand with MLB 2K9 is that regardless of a players defensive attributes and style, they all seem to play too much alike in the field only separated by the 'on rails feeling' canned animations for a given play. I dont get the sensation of seeing distinctions between a Reyes at SS or a 3rd stringer.

Also how are the intangibles in this game?

Last edited by DarkFudge; 06-05-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

well, i mostly play with the royals so there is not alot of difference between my first and third string :P

however, you can tell the difference in talent tho.. things like throwing accuracy really make a difference i have noticed. reaction speed etc..

I bought my ps3 for this game last year... You will not be sorry if you do as well!
Old 06-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Banned

livnlegn's Arena

In my opinion (I make this clear because I think a lot of people here disagree with me):

Pros

- Pitching/Batting can be fun and realistic.
- The graphics are good enough.
- Some of the "little things" are really well done (probably too well done).
- The atmosphere works really well sometimes.
- Players do (at the plate) occasionally give you feeling that they are who they are (i.e. bases loaded and "Oh shoot, here comes Chipper".) I don't know if this is entirely appearance based or what, but it does feel like they occasionally perform like their real-life counterparts at the plate and on the mound.

Cons

- The franchise is in embryonic form.
- There are many problems with stats (compiling, accurately tracking, viewing).
- The franchise interface is terrible.
- Attributes are minimal and wrongheaded.
- Players perform similarly in the field.
- Progression is predictable and poorly done.
- There is rubber-band logic present (thus assuring the closure of this thread).
- Rather than canned animations, sometimes the game feels canned.
- Sliders have little (if any) effect.
- Yes, commentary is horrible
- Franchise-generated players are bland and incorrectly announced.
- The rendering of the ball traveling from P to C is probably the worst in any baseball game ever (i.e. Curves travel in a slightly nonlinear motion, hit a plate of glass and fall straight down at the plate).
- Baseball strategy is poorly done.

There is more good and bad.

NBA 2k9 is a better game, but MLB 09 is probably worth checking out. Especially, if you are not bothered too much by the above.

Stand by for alternate viewpoints. This is just one opinion of a longtime baseball nerd and once (and now again) video game geek. I did not play a single next-gen game until MLB The Show. Maybe my expectations were too high.

If you have the stomach for a straight-up text simulation of baseball, there is also a much better option: Out of the Park Baseball X, which was released today.

Last edited by livnlegn; 06-05-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 20

The baseball strategy is one of the best parts of this game. If Josh Hamilton is leading offthe 7th inning I can safely say I always see a lefty. That's strategy isn't it??

Btw Fudge, don't listen to these naysayers. It's a great game, best sports game I've ever played and I've been playing for about 20+ years. There's a reason these naysayers hang around this board, you know.

Last edited by moemoe24; 06-05-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »