Home

Accelerated Clock - Why use it?

This is a discussion on Accelerated Clock - Why use it? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Accelerated Clock - Why use it?

Hey guys, dont post much on the forums but I follow pretty much daily. I just wanted to ask whats the deal with accelerated clocks?
Whats so great about it and why do you use it, as opposed to just using 7 or 8 minute quarters?
I guess i never really used this feature in previous maddens but i may if i get a better understanding about why so many ppl use it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Accelerated Clock - Why use it?

So you can have realistic time of possession stats, substitution times, ect.

So you can play a football game in which fatigue actually matters.
so why not just play a 15 min game without acc. clock, here is why:

In REAL life, it takes TIME for substitutions, play calls, etc. in Madden, the CPU just shows up to the line of scrimmage instantly after they pick a play.
acc. Clock simulates the time it takes for substitutions and play calls, ect.
IF Madden just put in real time subs an stuff, acc. clock wouldnt even be needed. but they wont ever do that because a real football sim is not what consumers really want.

whish i dont get. if we had real time subs, then the commentary on the game could become so much more dynamic. wel, there would be opportunity for it, I mean. commentary like on a real football broadcast. that could be a possibility with real time subs and playcalling.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Clark
Hey guys, don't post much on the forums but I follow pretty much daily. I just wanted to ask whats the deal with accelerated clocks?
Whats so great about it and why do you use it, as opposed to just using 7 or 8 minute quarters?
I guess i never really used this feature in previous maddens but i may if i get a better understanding about why so many ppl use it.
I think the reason most guys use it is it gives more realistic times coming out of the huddle. In madden, you can select a play so quickly that when you come out of the huddle you still have tons of time left on the clock. The accelerated clock makes it more lifelike, so that when you break, you have a more limited time frame to get your play off.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Clark
Hey guys, dont post much on the forums but I follow pretty much daily. I just wanted to ask whats the deal with accelerated clocks?
What?

The accelerated clock is an accelerated clock.
In other words: THE GAME GOES BY MUCH FASTER, WHICH IS ACTUALLY MORE LIFE-LIKE.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

it's not really a matter of "real sim" it's a matter of cutting boring material. It's like in Fifa when there are out of bounds or free kicks, they skip the referee actually taking the ball and spotting it and then making sure everyone is in position.

If "real sim" means making us sit through a 15 minute halftime then "real sim" be damned.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
What?

The accelerated clock isnt intended to play 5 minute games. If you went on and played 5 minute quarters with accelerated clocl on, then yeah games would go much faster.

Its intended purpose is to even out the time of posession. For instance, while the user takes time, picks a play, makes adjustments,etc. The computer basically auto picks, goes to the line and hikes the ball with 30 seconds still on the clock.

With accelerated clock turned on, both the human and the comp will hike the ball realistically.

It also ads to the realism in an online game. Now you can set quarters higher so essentially "running the clock" is more realistic. As opposed to a dude just running out the clock for the whole 5 minute quarter, you can now have 12 minyte quarters and they can try to run out the clock but they will be forced to run more plays.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Rookie

unisol_us's Arena

OVR: 5

I like it because it leave less time for all that audible garbage that happens at the LOS. That stuff is so unrealistic!! When I watch football I'll see one audible and the QB calling out protection to the O-line not this B.S where the O runs around the field like they are dancing or something
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
What?

worst post ever... you know what he wanted out of his question, and it had already been answered. why be rude?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »