Home

I was afraid this would happen.

This is a discussion on I was afraid this would happen. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
I was afraid this would happen.

Did it happen to you?

What I mean is this:

I have been plaing Madden for years and overall have enjoyed the game. I also think of myself as a sim gamer. I got my 360 almost two years and my first "next gen" Madden game was 08. While, as a whole, Madden NFL 10 is the best of those three games I have played [08, 09, and M10], in the long run, I am just getting bored with this franchise. Namely, I have actually found myself bouncing around between 2k5, 2k8, and playing franchise mode with one of my friends on PS2 with Madden 07.

What drove me to even start this thread was reading someone's signature here at OS where they listed thier 09 and their M10 online records. I remember playing 08 a lot online. Over 200 games between ranked and unranked. The same with 09. However, combiend with the "slow" online game speed and terrible pursuit angles, I am also generally bored with the Madden franchise on next gen. My record online is like 3-2 and about a dozen unraked games.

I guess the other point I created this thread is to ask what all of you think could be done to bring life back into this franchise? I really think that improving the presentation and immersion of the game alone would help improve the replayablility [is that a word?] a lot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: I was afraid this would happen.

Fix alot of the little things and the games perfect.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Go Titans..

OVR: 34

I got bored with the franchise since playing multiple seasons on M10. (12 to be exact). Won 2 Superbowls, 4 AFC Championships, and 11 playoff appearances. All with the Titans on All-Madden.

On Topic, the Franchise Mode gets stale after a couple of seasons unless you're re-building a team and are actually starting to win games after a couple of seasons. I've also re-built a team and still playing with the actual Franchise today. I did start NFL 2k5 for about a month and got burned out. Played 8 Seasons with the Titans on Legend. Won 1 Superbowl, 1 AFC Championship (2 appearances), and 5 playoff appearances. The playoff games in Madden and NFL 2k5 are nearly all the same as playing a Pre-Season game if you take the playoff paint away. There needs to be different presentation people for playoff or something. Otherwise, it's almost the EXACT same until you make it to the Superbowl. Which if you were to ask me about the Superbowl, I would say it was done good. A little better celebration would of been nice but overall not bad.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think some in depth scouting would add some spice to the offseason. Scouting is worthless IMO.

Also, I think they should make position specific ratings. If I take an 85 strength Lber he should get blown off the line if he is converted to DT. So an 85 STR DT is much stronger then an 85 STR Lber. I say this because I've seen people convert linebackers to DT just because of the Overall rating, but yet you can't tell a difference in the game, that LBer will play just as well.

Another thing that annoys me is when playing against the top tier Wideouts it seems like they make the CBs play worse to compensate. I've seen my CBs turn around and run away from CPU controlled WRs when the ball is in the air. It seems like they took the easy way out and dumbed down the CBs.

There are so many little things that could be put in ( IR feature, contract details, in season progression) but for some reason Authentic hand towels are higher up on the list then either of those things.

So, in short, less authentic hand towels, and more gameplay.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 9

I don't think thats a word lol

And I think you hit it right on the head when you said presentation and immersion would help make it a longer lasting experience. But I honestly think people want different things from a presentation stand point.

I don't play online as much because that's when you really see the glitches and exploits, but it's also very easy to destroy the AI...even after you handicap yourself.

• So from a franchise stand point, a ton of stats would help. And not just stats, off-the-wall facts about FGs...completion %'s, catches, comparisons the other players...everything
  • I would like to see game analysis, where commentators talk about what's been going on in the game and not just whats happening at the moment
  • I feel the pre-game presentation this year was nice, they should build off of that
  • Even fixing their challenge system would make the game that much more enjoyable
  • Adding more depth in between games is a must. I'm tired of just playing a game, looking at the weekly / yearly awards, play a game, check out the pro bowlers, play another game.
  • Besides ratings, they should make every player more important (player roles) and bring back position battles
I'll stop the list there because I was wondering if you guys think they'll add a improved player role system? It's never been on next-gen but i noticed when simming to the off-season it says "updating player roles"...maybe they didn't have enough time to get it in this year???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I thought "updating player roles" was the computer just changing who the team captains were. How would they do that in Madden? Player roles work in NBA2k because players have defined roles ( Star player, role player, 6th man, etc.) but with football, how could they do it?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylezgwhite
I thought "updating player roles" was the computer just changing who the team captains were. How would they do that in Madden? Player roles work in NBA2k because players have defined roles ( Star player, role player, 6th man, etc.) but with football, how could they do it?

This what they had in Madden 07 i believe. sorry if it takes up a lot of room
Old 02-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

OVR: 18

Well as much as I loved OWNERS MODE,I really dont think EA is going to mess with the offline Franchise.I hate to say it but I'm really not expecting it.
I think they will add all the features that OFFline Franchise has to Online Franchise.Leave it at that.Then all the Online gamers will be SOO HAPPY.
And everything will be peaches and cream.I truly really believe EA has forgotten about the offline gamers.Especially offline Franchise gamers.I mean think about it? Madden is supposedly competing against games like MW2.MW2's campaign mode was so short! But everyone pretty much bought the game for the online aspects.So you know EA is probably thinking about that too.So what can they do? Add more for online gamers... EA has already said that every EA title from April 2010 till sometime in 2011 will have some sort of add on content or DLC.
So that alone tells you that EA is concentrating on the ONline gamers.I hate it but I really think thats the way its going to be

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »