Home

Video Games aren't interesting to me anymore

This is a discussion on Video Games aren't interesting to me anymore within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 18
Video Games aren't interesting to me anymore

Since I enjoy visiting this site and the community, I was wondering if anyone could relate to me on this. To me, video games just aren't that fun anymore.

Right now I'm 19 years old, done with one year of college. In the past, I was a video game madman, and played whatever I could. I played the crap out of games like Mario Kart, Star Fox, various other Mario games, and enjoyed SNES games as well like Tecmo Super Bowl.

Then with the newer gens, I got into sports games a lot more, and in the PS2 days spent countless hours on Madden, EA NHL, NBA 2K, MLB the Show. When NFL Head Coach 09 came out, I was forced to go new gen (PS3) and became addicted like crack to that game.

Now, I hardly care.

The last game I bought was Call of Duty: World at War used on my PS3, but other than that, I haven't bought hardly anything. Sports games have lost their touch. Madden hasn't been worth buying in terms of quality and I frankly haven't had enough time to try to get through a season on NHL or MLB.

Every once in a while I'll play Call of Duty, but before I could play a great game for hours at a time, I get bored of that within an hour, MAYBE two if I'm doing really well. I have my Tecmo hacks, but don't play those for the enjoyment, all of the time spent on that is either editing or making a video.

I guess college has shown me that the most interesting thing is people. TV sucks these days too in my opinion, only one show (House) has me remotely interested, the other two I followed, one is done (24) and the other one likely jumped the shark (Chuck)

But I find that I can't fill the empty time of the summer with video games. I go to college 5 hours away from where I live, and live 3 hours from where I grew up, so I basically don't know anyone where I am.

But I returned to where I grew up with my video game loving friends, and find myself bored out of my mind. One of my friends played Gears of War 2 for 6 or 7 hours in a row, while I just was bored out of my mind.

This random ramble has gotten very random. Technology has improved, but video games just don't seem worth my time anymore. Anyone else feeling this way or am I alone?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Video Games aren't interesting to me anymore

my first question...why would watching somebody play gears of war for 6-7 hours straight provide entertainment? it sounds like maybe your interests are changing, which happens, but I don't see how that is a good barometer for your interest in gaming.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejudy
my first question...why would watching somebody play gears of war for 6-7 hours straight provide entertainment? it sounds like maybe your interests are changing, which happens, but I don't see how that is a good barometer for your interest in gaming.
I didn't watch him for more than a few minutes before I just took my laptop and browsed the internet. But there was no one around and nothing going on, so I was bored out of my mind as I ran out of things to do online (Which is hard to do, especially for me as a big internet guy)

I just couldn't figure out how he could do that without any breaks or ever getting tired of it. Then I remembered I used to be the same.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

OVR: 13

just sitting and watching a video game for any amount of time is boring, in my opinion. They're meant to be played.
You're only 19, you're going to college, I'm sure there are tons of things for you to do/keep you distracted besides games. The way I see it, gaming is no different than watching tv/movies. If anything it's more interactive than either one, and people seem to have no problem sitting there doing those for hours at a time. Video games are just another form of entertainment. Some people enjoy it enough to do it for hours on end, some people don't enjoy them at all. You're at an age where your personality/likes/dislikes are all still developing so you may find that things you used to love doing are of no interest to you anymore.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

For me, it is actually the opposite - I do so much at college that taking a break every once in a while to play video games is a nice relief. Is there anywhere in the place you live now for you to meet people? If you are interested in people, then forget videogames entirely and go out and meet new people. In my experience, eventually you (the general, not *you*) will come back to videogames at some point, and perhaps the spark will be reignited.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 4

i think i played more video games at 19 as a freshman in college than i did as a 9 year old in the 4th grade

On, On, On, To Victory!!

Gamertag: stewgilligan
Old 06-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNFL_FanIQ
... video games just don't seem worth my time anymore. Anyone else feeling this way or am I alone?
You're not alone, in fact you've presumably joined up with the majority of people. None of those people post on video game message boards, though. I mean, what are you after here? A slew of "yeah man, video games suck" posts?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 14

Being in college you shouldnt be playing video games. You should be out socializing with other people or studying. So in a way its kind of a blessing that you are disinterested. As far as having nobody around where you live and being bored around your old friends. The only thing I can suggest is get a summer job or go back to school and take a summer class.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »