Home

Power Plays in NHL 10

This is a discussion on Power Plays in NHL 10 within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9
Power Plays in NHL 10

It's tough to keep a power play going. I see in the real NHL how often there are 1-2 players at the point to guard the puck going out of the zone, but here it's too easy (for me and the CPU) to clear the puck all the way down. Does anyone else notice this?

Speaking of penalties, a real freaky thing happened the other day. There was a delayed penalty called on my opposing team. So naturally my goalie automatically gets pulled. I don't remember exactly how this happened, but the puck got poked away from my player, slid 3/4 of the way down the ice and into my goal. AND IT COUNTED! Isn't the whistle supposed to blow the instant the penalized team touches the puck? Of course I still got the 5-on-4 power play afterwards... but it was little consolation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Power Plays in NHL 10

I've gotten better over time, your right tho, the CPU defensemen guard the point way more aggressively than most teams in the NHL do these days

The way around that in NHL10 is to work along the walls more than the point, a pass down towards the corner then right back up the wall to the point usually will stretch the D and buy you time to either go D-to-D, carry in, or go back down the wall again.

Regarding how you scored on yourself, a defensive poke won't allows stop play as the defense has to gain some kind of definitive possession as there is some leeway so the offense can keep on the advantage if they get the puck back quickly

Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Rookie

KraZe's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75
It's tough to keep a power play going. I see in the real NHL how often there are 1-2 players at the point to guard the puck going out of the zone, but here it's too easy (for me and the CPU) to clear the puck all the way down. Does anyone else notice this?

Speaking of penalties, a real freaky thing happened the other day. There was a delayed penalty called on my opposing team. So naturally my goalie automatically gets pulled. I don't remember exactly how this happened, but the puck got poked away from my player, slid 3/4 of the way down the ice and into my goal. AND IT COUNTED! Isn't the whistle supposed to blow the instant the penalized team touches the puck? Of course I still got the 5-on-4 power play afterwards... but it was little consolation.
The rules state that the team with the delayed penalty must GAIN CONTROL of the puck, not simply touch it, hence why the goal counted.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

It's kind of weird that your teammates don't put any effort into keeping the puck in the zone.

Also, another weird power play quirk in NHL 10. For some reason, off-setting minors count as powerplay chances for the home team. So when it goes from 4-on-4 to 5-on-5, a team's PP becomes 0/1, even though they never had any real power play chances.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZe
The rules state that the team with the delayed penalty must GAIN CONTROL of the puck, not simply touch it, hence why the goal counted.
Definitely a fluke though, I've never seen this happen in real life. If it does, then don't pull my goalie.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Rookie

KraZe's Arena

Quote:
Definitely a fluke though, I've never seen this happen in real life. If it does, then don't pull my goalie.
Oh, I agree, complete and total fluke goal. I was just pointing out why it counted is all.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
It has happened, I've seen it. Trying to find a video online, this was the best I could find though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3M49FEEItc
Old 07-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
Rookie

it almost happened last year during a caps game. there was a delayed penalty on the Caps opponent and an errant pass sailed just a couple inches wide of their empty goal. The announcers made a big deal about how there's a goal like that every few years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »