Home

Unrealistic Pitch Locations!!

This is a discussion on Unrealistic Pitch Locations!! within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Unrealistic Pitch Locations!!

Anyone else notice this? When you play the computer they'll throw curveballs up in the zone. 75 mph sliders high in the zone. changeups high in the zone. i guess it could be a "bad" pitch but when you pitch the catcher suggests that you throw the pitches in these spots!! Huh! If real pitchers threw a changeup high in the strike zone on purpose theyd have an era of like 900. it really screws me up because ill key on a pitch up in the zone thinking its a fastball or at worst a decent speed slider and get geared up to knock it out and ill swing really really early because its an effin 70mph curveball letter high.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Unrealistic Pitch Locations!!

I guess it's only an issue, if it affects the hitting mechanic in-game. IF the results are realistic... but this has been my problem even with the pitching interface- you don't even miss realistically
Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsboxx
Anyone else notice this? When you play the computer they'll throw curveballs up in the zone. 75 mph sliders high in the zone. changeups high in the zone.
The game has had that problem for years now. Apart from that though, pitching IMO is pretty much perfect this year. I use classic pitching, and with the user control slider at 0, I can have a tough time finding the strike zone. I'm also loving how often the CPU misses the strikezone. Very realistic this year in that respect.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

It's gotten about 10X better since 2K7 and 2K10, but it is still a bit of an issue.

Breaking balls should never be aimed up in the zone. In real life they flatten out or "hang" and then get hammered by hitters.

The big issue that helps drive this problem is that the pitches react the same regardless of where you throw it. You get the same movement on a 2 seamer if you throw it outside or inside, when in reality, the one on the outside (the Greg Maddux fastball) is going to tail back a little less. The Same with a curveball. Whether you bury it in the dirt or throw it at the hitters head, it reacts the same. In real life, the one up high is going to have far less break.

Because of this, those breaking balls up in the zone become very effective, which is the opposite of what you'd expect to happen.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

I've only seen one high breaking ball.

Try lowering the A.I pitch success slider. I saw that high breaking ball only when having the A.I pitch success slider at 85 or something high like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Yes, it's definitely improved over the years (go back and play 2K8 and you'll see a ridiculous amount of high breaking balls). I really haven't noticed it being a problem any more. Pitchers do hang a breaking ball here and there, but that happens in real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »