Home

Old 08-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
ECHL?

One thing about 11 that bothered me is if you had signed draft picks that weren't quite good enough to play in the AHL they just sat scratched and gained no experience at all. With the much deeper Be A Gm mode EA has been working on over the last few years I think it's time for the ECHL to make an appearance in order for you to have somewhere to put everybody you sign.

Plus I really just want to play as the Aces.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: ECHL?

Finally! I use to work in the ECHL... loved every minute of it. Unfortunately after having one of the best years in point totals for a team in ECHL history our team folded. Go Texas Wildcatters!!!
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
MLB: Texas Rangers
NCAA: Baylor

Producer/Graphic Artist/Animator-CBS
Old 08-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 10

Yeah it would be nice, don't know if there have been licensing or what but hopefully it will be there for '13. Lots of good memories here from going to Chiefs games with my family.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Rookie

Link2181's Arena

OVR: 0

Used to be the team photographer for the Richmond Renegades! I loved the ECHL!

Xbox Live: EAJock
Old 08-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

It's nothing against the ECHL, but if I place myself in EA's shoes, my way of thinking would be that the ECHL would come after the NCAA as far as league I would put in the game.

NCAA (just like CHL) is a pipeline for the NHL teams and would make a lot of sense to put in the game now that you can start your carreer in the CHL at 15-16 years old.

On the other hand, some would say that : "If they put leagues in Europe we don't care about, why not the ECHL?" Again, I guess it's a marketing thing to get the people in Europe more interested has they can play with teams within their country.

ECHL would make sense too, but I don't expert EA to deal with the ECHL anytime soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Rookie

BelfourThibault's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
It's nothing against the ECHL, but if I place myself in EA's shoes, my way of thinking would be that the ECHL would come after the NCAA as far as league I would put in the game.

NCAA (just like CHL) is a pipeline for the NHL teams and would make a lot of sense to put in the game now that you can start your carreer in the CHL at 15-16 years old.

On the other hand, some would say that : "If they put leagues in Europe we don't care about, why not the ECHL?" Again, I guess it's a marketing thing to get the people in Europe more interested has they can play with teams within their country.

ECHL would make sense too, but I don't expert EA to deal with the ECHL anytime soon.
One major difference between the ECHL and NCAA is the licensing. Granted, EA would have to secure the ECHL license, but they already have the PHPA license. That license is one more thing that's out of the way. Lets also not forget that the NCAA (reportedly) isn't the easiest to deal with.

I hope they eventually secure the ECHL. For depth purposes, but also because I moved to Cincinnati a couple years ago and like going to Cyclones games.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9

I think the ECHL is long overdue. A lot of AHL guys played in the ECHL. Our star goalie from the Texas Wildcatters Anton Khudobin played for the Houston Aeroes and even saw NHL time. Posting his first shutout... a 4-0 win for the Minnesota Wild against Vancouver. The Boston Bruins traded for him last year. He is now on the Providence Bruins.

The players ARE relevant.

Check him out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Khudobin

NBA: Dallas Mavericks
MLB: Texas Rangers
NCAA: Baylor

Producer/Graphic Artist/Animator-CBS
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbends
I think the ECHL is long overdue. A lot of AHL guys played in the ECHL. Our star goalie from the Texas Wildcatters Anton Khudobin played for the Houston Aeroes and even saw NHL time. Posting his first shutout... a 4-0 win for the Minnesota Wild against Vancouver. The Boston Bruins traded for him last year. He is now on the Providence Bruins.

The players ARE relevant.

Check him out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Khudobin

The first thing I said in my answer was to put yourself in EA's shoes, not in mine! Want to talk about a guy from the ECHL who made it? Take a look at Michael Ryder and what he did over is carreer. It's enough to say that the ECHL can be a springboard for some. I never put that in doubt, I'm just saying that for EA, it's about selling more copies and I'm sure they don't see the ECHL making them earn that more cash.

As far as licensing, I understand and it's a fact that NCAA might not be an easy negociating partner. Still, put the NCAA in the game, and you'll attract many americans (who don't give a damn about CHL but would do about their U) to buy the game. In that matter, it's all coming down to cash it will cost versus cash it will bring.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »