Home

Do you have Madden yet?

This is a discussion on Do you have Madden yet? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 8
Do you have Madden yet?

This isn't another "Should I get Madden," thread. This is a WHY DON'T YOU HAVE MADDEN thread. What are you waiting for?

Are you waiting for everyone else to master the intricacies and nuances so you have no chance to win?

Not to sound like a Madden fanboy, but I get my copies (360 & PS3) at midnight on release. I'm usually the first in line. I can't afford for my competitors to gain an advantage. Not for a day. Not for a second.

In this game, if you half step, you lose. So while you stragglers who haven't made up your mind are still deciding, I'm perfecting throwing deep corner routes against the new zone coverage. When you finally get around to getting Madden, don' be surprised when your high hopes of winning get dashed by players who actually showed up to "Training Camp" while you were holding out (don't be a Chris Johnson.)

Are you wondering what all the casual fans think of the game?

Really. Casual football and/or Madden fans are the least reliable source of good Madden information.

Are you thinking all Madden's are the same with nothing more than a roster update?

This is often the opinion of people who don't play Madden enough to know their elbow from their bum. It's the first thing I look for in reviews to indicate that the writer is 100% clueless about Madden. Madden 12 in particular is unlike any Madden before it, but I've already read 2 reviews by guys that sound nice but are packed with red flags that indicate the writer has no idea how to simulate the NFL when he's playing the game.

Are you listening to 2K fans?

2K and Madden are both football games. There are no more similarities.

The audiences are different. The mechanics are different. The techniques are different. The strategies are different. The competitiveness of the players is different. People who like 2K probably aren't going to like Madden. Any impressions you get from 2K fans should contain an asterisk to indicate that this person isn't particularly friendly toward Madden.

Are you afraid of 'cheese?'

Probable. Many who are on the fence about getting Madden have tunnel vision about what is and isn't 'real football.' They are also highly likely to harshly grade the AI when it doesn't make plays we believe it should make despite the fact that allowing the AI to make plays means the USER has neglected to intervene and make the play manually. That's not the AI's fault.

Are you simply not serious about video game football?

Could be. Otherwise, you might have Madden 12. Do yourself a favor, get the game already! As far as I'm concerned, the mere ability to play against live competition from the comfort of my couch is well worth $60, EVEN IF I NEVER DID. Not just during football season, 24/7/365. Indeed, there is no Madden off season. Even if you aren't an online feind like me, there are at least 3 other modes I NEVER use that may also be worth $60 to someone else (Franchise fans chime in!).

Are you only a football fan during football season?

Once upon a time, I played Madden only during the regular season. I was horrible too. There is a definite correlation. Now that I play Madden from August to August, football season never ends and I'm a much better player.

----

Needless to say, if you haven't already purchased Madden - you're a month behind. It's going to take a full month for you to catch up to what's new in this year's game. If you wait another month, you won't have much hope of enjoying the game versus human competition and your opinion may very well be tainted if you listen to those who historically have besmirched Madden in the past.

Do yourself a favor - GET MADDEN NFL 12.

That is all,

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Rookie

BlackJackRabbit's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Do you have Madden yet?

I bought Madden on release day, and I played it for maybe a week. I'm trading it in for 2k12, and I'm not even a basketball fan. Madden 12 is an improvement, but it's still more of the same. The passing, running, and catching systems are basically the same as they've been for the past six years. The technology within the game hasn't evolved at all. That's why I find it boring.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Seriously, you needed to open a new thread just so we can read the same tired rhetoric?? We all get it, you love the living crap outa' Madden, you're the master of Madden, you know every intricacy of Madden and have spent almost every waking moment perfecting your "Madden Skillz"...time to go outside and get some sun, son.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

off topic, but if anyone wanted an example of "poisoning the well" look no further.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackRabbit
I bought Madden on release day, and I played it for maybe a week. I'm trading it in for 2k12, and I'm not even a basketball fan. Madden 12 is an improvement, but it's still more of the same. The passing, running, and catching systems are basically the same as they've been for the past six years. The technology within the game hasn't evolved at all. That's why I find it boring.
Sorry to hear that... The battle of wits I get when I play another human being never gets old. Alas, my passion began with a rivalry. Perhaps that's what you need to put some spice in your Madden experience. Personally, I'm bored by Madden unless there's a human competitor on the other end.

That said, I don't expect the running and catching systems to evolve much. If that's what you want from Madden, I can't see it in the near future. QB Vision and Strategy Pad have been the two most recent 'evolutions' of the game's interface and we see how that turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by je_2512
Seriously, you needed to open a new thread just so we can read the same tired rhetoric?? We all get it, you love the living crap outa' Madden, you're the master of Madden, you know every intricacy of Madden and have spent almost every waking moment perfecting your "Madden Skillz"...time to go outside and get some sun, son.
Thank you for the compliment about being a Madden master, but that's far from the truth. I'm just an X and O junkie. I love NFL football. I spend almost every waking hour immersed in NFL football. Practically all my books are about NFL football. Shows I watch are NFL football or about NFL football. I love the mental preparation and toughness football requires.

I play Madden as an extension of my love of NFL football and attempt to represent the mental preparation and toughness aspects in every game I play.

I wish everyone else did too... But that's another topic.

My point is... Don't think getting the game 3 months after it comes out and getting online against someone that has had the game for months is going to be a wining recipe. Expect to get smashed.

I thought I was a pretty good player in my first online game... NOPE. Smacked 56-3. But I waited til November to get my network card for my PS2.

Learned that lesson.

There's still time for people on the fence to be in the batch of October Madden rookies who will at least have a 2 month jump on the folks won't get it til Christmas.

I just hope guys that waited forever don't whine and cry about the massive beatings they are sure to take when they finally do get it.

You have been warned. LOL

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
This isn't another "Should I get Madden," thread. This is a WHY DON'T YOU HAVE MADDEN thread. What are you waiting for?

Are you waiting for everyone else to master the intricacies and nuances so you have no chance to win?

Not to sound like a Madden fanboy, but I get my copies (360 & PS3) at midnight on release. I'm usually the first in line. I can't afford for my competitors to gain an advantage. Not for a day. Not for a second.

In this game, if you half step, you lose. So while you stragglers who haven't made up your mind are still deciding, I'm perfecting throwing deep corner routes against the new zone coverage. When you finally get around to getting Madden, don' be surprised when your high hopes of winning get dashed by players who actually showed up to "Training Camp" while you were holding out (don't be a Chris Johnson.)

Are you wondering what all the casual fans think of the game?

Really. Casual football and/or Madden fans are the least reliable source of good Madden information.

Are you thinking all Madden's are the same with nothing more than a roster update?

This is often the opinion of people who don't play Madden enough to know their elbow from their bum. It's the first thing I look for in reviews to indicate that the writer is 100% clueless about Madden. Madden 12 in particular is unlike any Madden before it, but I've already read 2 reviews by guys that sound nice but are packed with red flags that indicate the writer has no idea how to simulate the NFL when he's playing the game.

Are you listening to 2K fans?

2K and Madden are both football games. There are no more similarities.

The audiences are different. The mechanics are different. The techniques are different. The strategies are different. The competitiveness of the players is different. People who like 2K probably aren't going to like Madden. Any impressions you get from 2K fans should contain an asterisk to indicate that this person isn't particularly friendly toward Madden.

Are you afraid of 'cheese?'

Probable. Many who are on the fence about getting Madden have tunnel vision about what is and isn't 'real football.' They are also highly likely to harshly grade the AI when it doesn't make plays we believe it should make despite the fact that allowing the AI to make plays means the USER has neglected to intervene and make the play manually. That's not the AI's fault.

Are you simply not serious about video game football?

Could be. Otherwise, you might have Madden 12. Do yourself a favor, get the game already! As far as I'm concerned, the mere ability to play against live competition from the comfort of my couch is well worth $60, EVEN IF I NEVER DID. Not just during football season, 24/7/365. Indeed, there is no Madden off season. Even if you aren't an online feind like me, there are at least 3 other modes I NEVER use that may also be worth $60 to someone else (Franchise fans chime in!).

Are you only a football fan during football season?

Once upon a time, I played Madden only during the regular season. I was horrible too. There is a definite correlation. Now that I play Madden from August to August, football season never ends and I'm a much better player.

----

Needless to say, if you haven't already purchased Madden - you're a month behind. It's going to take a full month for you to catch up to what's new in this year's game. If you wait another month, you won't have much hope of enjoying the game versus human competition and your opinion may very well be tainted if you listen to those who historically have besmirched Madden in the past.

Do yourself a favor - GET MADDEN NFL 12.

That is all,

Later
Old 09-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 22

Maybe its because they dont want to deal with a hassle in franchise mode. Like someone said, madden just gets dull and boring after a few weeks. Nba 2k kept me entertained all year long, cause you never know what your going to get each game, unlike madden with the same boring animations..
Old 09-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
My point is... Don't think getting the game 3 months after it comes out and getting online against someone that has had the game for months is going to be a wining recipe. Expect to get smashed.

You have been warned. LOL

Later
This part of your post only reinforces what we all already know. Madden is NOT about football skill or knowledge....it is about stick skills!! That is my main issue with it, as it is for a great number of people here.

There is no reason why anyone with a good understanding of the ins and outs of pro football should get smoked by some Timmy other than the fact that Madden is not a solid representation of the game!!

IF EA ever gets THAT part of their game right, then we'll really be onto something.

You can pump the game all you want, but in a nutshell, you pointed out the most glaring fault in your own post!
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »