Home

Road to the Show Improvement Ideas

This is a discussion on Road to the Show Improvement Ideas within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
MLB The Show Designer

Kirby_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 1
Post Road to the Show Improvement Ideas

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kirby St. John, and I am a new designer here at SCEA that will be mostly dedicated to improving Road to the Show, a mode I know many of you care a great deal about. I do as well, so I am starting this thread to give all of you the opportunity to present your own ideas for bettering the mode. We have already started our discussions here in the studio about what directions we would like to go, but before we get too far, I want to make sure everyone here at OS gets the opportunity to help out. I certainly can't make any promises that your idea will be implemented, but if it fits into our plan or is something we really really like, it just may become a new feature.

I will be reading the posts on this thread daily, and I hope that some really positive things for the mode can come from this. PLEASE refrain from simply bringing up a complaint or reporting a bug. This is meant to be a place for new, fresh ideas that will help make RttS even more fun and engaging.

With all that said, have at it!

Thanks,
Kirby

Last edited by Kirby_SCEA; 04-10-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Rookie

ChrisHansen59's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Road to the Show Improvement Ideas

I think it would be nice to make the contracts you earn actually mean something. You can use what you earn on activities that will increase your skills in certain areas such as what 2K's My Player mode does.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Rookie

ptbnl's Arena

OVR: 3

Well, I've said this a few times in the RTTS thread, so I'll put it here.

I don't know if it would mean an entire revamp or what, but the progression system is broken in my experience. No matter what type of position player you set out to make, the game almost always requires you to become a power hitter.

But more to the point, you are forced to advance too quickly in the RTTS' that I've played. The problem comes from the advancement goals (which never go away, even if you're an multi-MVP in the majors, btw).

For example, if you miss your goals, you're punished not just by being sat down for a couple games or whatever, but by being demoted (either to a bench role or to a lower level). It never takes into consideration your role on the team, your overall abilities or the type of player you are. I made a speedy/leadoff type infielder and I am always told to hit at least one homer as one of my goals despite having no power. So, when I miss that, I get sent to the bench and have to spend the whole season trying to break back into the starting lineup I never should have been removed from, usually being told to hit a home run.

On the other side, should you reach you're goals, you're promoted far too fast. My player (by some weird move by the organization) signed me to a MLB contract as the starter despite not being anywhere near ready for MLB (played two AA seasons and had one decent year).

But because you're punished so severely for missing your goals, you have to reach them. And when you do, you're moved too fast. There is no time to develop. Or, you don't get enough training points to improve because you're on the bench.

Basically, there's no way to develop your player to be ready for the next level when you move up. And I understand that some players in real life are moved up to AAA or the majors before they're ready, but it's not often. It feels like there isn't enough development time for players and you're dominated when you move up too fast because of the goals.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
MVP

jknott10's Arena

OVR: 17
I would like to see in new contracts, the no trade clause thrown in a new deal. especially if you established your self or you are a superstar in the MLB
Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
FA

Factzzz's Arena

OVR: 5

It would be really helpful if you could have an interaction saying where you want to bat in the lineup, or atleast you could ask to be moved from the leadoff spot.

Also, my guy gets benched every 4 or 5 games, and its annoying because i end up playing like 140 games at the end of the season without missing any games due to injury. So it would be cool if that was changed.

Lastly, it would be cool if it showed your career accomplishments on your player card (MVP, Gold Glove, etc.)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
MVP

jknott10's Arena

OVR: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbnl
Well, I've said this a few times in the RTTS thread, so I'll put it here.

I don't know if it would mean an entire revamp or what, but the progression system is broken in my experience. No matter what type of position player you set out to make, the game almost always requires you to become a power hitter.

But more to the point, you are forced to advance too quickly in the RTTS' that I've played. The problem comes from the advancement goals (which never go away, even if you're an multi-MVP in the majors, btw).

For example, if you miss your goals, you're punished not just by being sat down for a couple games or whatever, but by being demoted (either to a bench role or to a lower level). It never takes into consideration your role on the team, your overall abilities or the type of player you are. I made a speedy/leadoff type infielder and I am always told to hit at least one homer as one of my goals despite having no power. So, when I miss that, I get sent to the bench and have to spend the whole season trying to break back into the starting lineup I never should have been removed from, usually being told to hit a home run.

On the other side, should you reach you're goals, you're promoted far too fast. My player (by some weird move by the organization) signed me to a MLB contract as the starter despite not being anywhere near ready for MLB (played two AA seasons and had one decent year).

But because you're punished so severely for missing your goals, you have to reach them. And when you do, you're moved too fast. There is no time to develop. Or, you don't get enough training points to improve because you're on the bench.

Basically, there's no way to develop your player to be ready for the next level when you move up. And I understand that some players in real life are moved up to AAA or the majors before they're ready, but it's not often. It feels like there isn't enough development time for players and you're dominated when you move up too fast because of the goals.
Mine is completely opposite. It takes me forever to get called up and when I miss my goals I only get the warnings
Old 04-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Rookie

ptbnl's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknott10
Mine is completely opposite. It takes me forever to get called up and when I miss my goals I only get the warnings
Wow, that's weird.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
ZAN
EA Game Changer

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbnl
Wow, that's weird.

Exact same for me. I'm looking like I'm about to break camp in AAA in 2014, even though I was the 2nd best pitcher (BARELY behind Lincecum) in the Giants organization at the ASB in year 2. I'll miss my goals (why is a pitcher told to have a certain slugging percentage as a goal), and just get a slap on the wrist.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »