Home

Why is there a 5 sig skill limit?

This is a discussion on Why is there a 5 sig skill limit? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 8
Why is there a 5 sig skill limit?

I think that this is a bit ridiculous. If a player can do everything (AKA LeBron), they shouldn't be limited to 5 sig skills. How else do you separate the elite from the good with sig skills? What's the point if Rudy Gay has the same amount of skills as LeBron James? Or any other 'good' player? If a player had no cap on sig skills, it would better represent the NBA. In the NBA, stars are so important and that is not truly recognised with a 5 sig skill limit. Yes, it may be open to cheese, but 2k should fix cheese problems anyway. If LeBron goes off for 30/9/9 online, it's realistic enough anyway/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why is there a 5 sig skill limit?

LeBron shouldn't have 4th quarter... i'm sure there are others.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Banned

718_R3loaded's Arena

OVR: 4

why is there a 5 skill limit? so online cheesers like myself don't abuse the game

Thumbs up if this comment helped you
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Banned

love how lebron is everyones basis to give players 5+ sig skills. Bottom line is he isnt special and everyone should have the same limit. 5 is enough and they measure the things he does best. Sad thing is people dont even know what skills he has and still they asking for more
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 718_R3loaded
why is there a 5 skill limit? so online cheesers like myself don't abuse the game

Thumbs up if this comment helped you
Honestly cheesing and sig skills are completely different. 2k can stop cheesing and add more sig skills for players. Tell me whats the difference between Rudy Gay and LeBron if they both have 5 sig skills? Not much right? If LeBron had 15 or so, it would make him play much more realistic in terms of the CPU controlling him.

For example, FIFA has unlimited skill limits I'm pretty sure. Someone like Ronaldo or Messi (92 overall), the true elites, are separated from the other players around 88 overall due to their sig skills and how it represents their skill sets. The same should be in 2k. It would be a travesty if someone like MKG and LeBron both had 5 sig skills with 3 of them overlapping. Where's the separation in talent then? Sig skills are a brilliant idea but the execution is off IMO.

Last edited by raidertiger; 09-14-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Rookie

Sheik's Arena

OVR: 3

because no one player really needs more than 5.

as I understand it...the sig skils on their end were a way for them to pinpoint certain things certain players do well without arbitrarily raising the number of a rating.

just because someone can do something, doesn't mean they do it as effectively and efficiently as someone else.

there must always be moderation...

for the life of me, I just don't get why people are so stuck on a 5 sig skill limitation.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik
because no one player really needs more than 5.

as I understand it...the sig skils on their end were a way for them to pinpoint certain things certain players do well without arbitrarily raising the number of a rating.

just because someone can do something, doesn't mean they do it as effectively and efficiently as someone else.

there must always be moderation...

for the life of me, I just don't get why people are so stuck on a 5 sig skill limitation.
Exactly.The elite players are going to be rated high anyway.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

I would use a guy like Shane Battier as the poster boy for players needing more than 5 sig skills. If it works as advertised it's the prefect tool for utility players. To my understanding sig skill are 2k's way of representing intangible and situational basketball that ratings and tendencies don't do sufficiently. If this is the case than limiting players to 5 is a huge mistake. If sig skills are cheesy and limiting "cheesers" is the ultimate goal sig skills shouldn't be in the game altogether.

Many have pointed out the fact that sig skill can have a perverse effect to cheesing considering all sig skill with the exceptions of a few have requirements to based on real life basketball situations.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 09-14-2012 at 05:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »