Home

Infinity vs Ignite - Do you see/feel a difference? Is it meeting your expectation?

This is a discussion on Infinity vs Ignite - Do you see/feel a difference? Is it meeting your expectation? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Infinity vs Ignite - Do you see/feel a difference? Is it meeting your expectation?

Hi Guys,

I've owned Madden 13. Still own Madden 25 for current/next gen. I also own NCAA 14 and have watched most of the available Madden 15 footage released to date, which isn't much.

My question for you all is, after playing 3 games (last gen) in M13, NCAA14, and M25 featuring the infinity physics engine - and now moving forward with M25 and M15 on Next Gen, do you feel like the infinity engine and ignite engines delivered on the "physics you can feel" or "you'll never see the same tackle twice" ideas as marketed?

Infinity Reveal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5BUp0Ys_Eo

Ignite "Actual Game Footage"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zcoq7ukBaE

Do you feel, after 5 titles (M15 included), that either of these systems has delivered on what has been advertised from a "living worlds" or "real time physics" approach?

For me, I think Infinity/Ignite have made the game better. Do I think they come anywhere near delivering on their promises? No. Not close. When I watch M15 footage, I still see the same animations and items play out far too consistently...plus they are existing animations that can be found in M25, NCAA14, and yes..M13.

Do you guys agree? Do you feel like there's a real different between infinity and ignite? Personally, its tough for me to tell the difference.

This really has me on the fence about M15. I need to see more from M15. 5 titles later and I feel like we're still being asked to wait for the engine to deliver the revolutionary gameplay as promised 2 years ago (2012) - along with the new leap in hardware.

Last edited by illiterateoption; 07-04-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Infinity vs Ignite - Do you see/feel a difference? Is it meeting your expectation

Still not very good. Infinity got toned down way too much from its 1.0 appearance.

They still have awful animations and bad triggers. Even with Infinity the lack of physics in character movement is lamentable.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Infinity vs Ignite - Do you see/feel a difference? Is it meeting your expectation

Good thread and my biggest confusion on IE is that if it seemingly added the same issues as a true physics engine, rag doll limbs, tangled bodies, etc but didn't include the positives, real time physics calculations, dynamic interactions, then why not just use a true physics engine?

I find myself asking the exact same questions about Madden, which I probably won't ever get answers to but oh well. It seems like yet another example of attempting to innovate the football genre, with no regard for if it will be better than what already exists. I won't list them here because this thread is about the physics engine but just about every area Tiburon has "innovated" in Madden, is inferior to what already existed in the genre, while two areas the game excels in, graphics and online servers, are consequently areas they haven't seemed to try to innovate.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Banned

For me, its about investment. I've invested $65 x 4 (M13, NCAA14, M25 x 2) and $500 on new hardware. That's nearly $800 since the infinity engine reveal. That's alot of dough.

So far, the gameplay in M15 looks ok. But does it deliver that NEXT GEN experience that is totally different and in advance of anything else I have in my library? So far its a resounding no. In fact, I'm not sure it meets the standards set for M13 based on the 2012 presser.

I shouldn't watch M15 gameplay and then go back and play M25 on 360 or NCAA14 on 360 (two games I enjoy) and see the same outcomes that are present in M15..., let alone at a frequency that is contradictory to the Infinity Engine reveal press conference.

Do you guys see it in the same light? What if M15 isn't that large of advancement..., do you still need that new title each year? For me, with NCAA14 and M25...I'm ok waiting at this point after all that I've invested. How about you?
Old 07-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Banned

In some respects, it seemed that with each passing title (from M13 on) the IE got toned down rather than fixed.

M13 featured lots of Rag-Doll randomness. 1) Good Randomness 2) Rag-dolls aren't pleasing to view. So, why didn't they try to solve that - yet keep the randomness?

I feel Like as IE moved forward that the randomness has been toned town to the point where the game feels 75% animation based now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Good thread and my biggest confusion on IE is that if it seemingly added the same issues as a true physics engine, rag doll limbs, tangled bodies, etc but didn't include the positives, real time physics calculations, dynamic interactions, then why not just use a true physics engine?

I find myself asking the exact same questions about Madden, which I probably won't ever get answers to but oh well. It seems like yet another example of attempting to innovate the football genre, with no regard for if it will be better than what already exists. I won't list them here because this thread is about the physics engine but just about every area Tiburon has "innovated" in Madden, is inferior to what already existed in the genre, while two areas the game excels in, graphics and online servers, are consequently areas they haven't seemed to try to innovate.
Because they aren't innovating. They slap stuff together so they can say they have something the competition had. The Infinity Engine still isn't better than what APF 2k8 did with just animations as far as realistic football goes. It still isn't as fluid as backbreakers physics were.

Madden "is what it is". It will never be anything more. I feel like I experience other sports games, I just play Madden. Yet at times I love it, because it gives me control of the NFL. Those moments are few and far between, I just need them to be closer.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

Last edited by SageInfinite; 07-04-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

I saw the difference in Madden 13. That game had me hyped up because it "felt" different (and looked great!) in my hands. The physics were a little wonky at times, but at least I knew they were there. I felt that after a few years tinkering, we could have a gem. Something happened after that, though. Madden 25 just felt stale again. The physics were still there, it just felt muted. Which essentially made the gameplay look and feel like the same old Madden. Ignite actually feels like a muted Infinity to me.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Ignite and infinity are not comparable. Ignite is the frostbite of EA Sports games it isn't a physics engine it's a shared technology. I don't understand why people keep comparing the two. To compare it you'd have to look at FIFA and NHL. Those games look phenomenal, because they were good games to start with, Madden is playing catch up, in the next few years Madden will remove more & more legacy issues and start to innovate to get on the same level as FIFA and NHL are right now. I think it took NHL and FIFA 5 years to really get their physics right and y'all act like what's wrong with Madden after 2.

Anyway bottom line is Ignite and Infinity are two separate things. The new tech for M15 is also physics based so we need to compare that with Infinity too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »