Home

Will We Ever See Another College Basketball Video Game?

This is a discussion on Will We Ever See Another College Basketball Video Game? within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
Pro

Gilley's Arena

OVR: 5
Will We Ever See Another College Basketball Video Game?

The title basically says it all. I really hope we see one, but I have a feeling it will never happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2014, 03:30 AM   #2
Rookie

JBulls's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Will We Ever See Another College Basketball Video Game?

Not a licensed one anyway.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBulls
Not a licensed one anyway.
If it's not licensed in some way, then it's not happening. Period. Done. And since no one would be dumb enough to jump in that legal swamp with pennies to gain, I don't know why we even ask this question. Maybe someone, one day will have balls of stone to try it. But, it's pissing in the wind, guys. The money and legal roadblocks have potentially killed this genre. Thanks to the suits. All of them.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I believe that, if someone is smart, they will make a really good core basketball game "engine" that has modification/Steam Works integration.

From there, the company can just keep refining the core game engine, and giving their customers tools, but not content.

With that model, you can build a game where the community can continuously update the game content for what they want, but it would not violate any laws.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa
I believe that, if someone is smart, they will make a really good core basketball game "engine" that has modification/Steam Works integration.

From there, the company can just keep refining the core game engine, and giving their customers tools, but not content.

With that model, you can build a game where the community can continuously update the game content for what they want, but it would not violate any laws.

And they lose a LOT money on that model. Sorry.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Rookie

I would love to see another game from the College Hoops 2K series. It's been 8 years since the last one and the NBA 2K series has taken some major steps to becoming one of the best series in gaming overall.

I was a person who bought the college basketball games every year. I even own EA Sports' NCAA Basketball 10 although I haven't been a big fan of EA's basketball games for a good part of a decade. But I wanted to show my support and I thought that the presentation was outstanding in that game.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see another college basketball game, but they will always have a buyer in me if they decide to. They don't even necessarily need to make one every year. Since the players can't be real, I'd be satisfied in getting one every 3-4 years to keep the series fresh.

Those are my thoughts. I know many others that feel the same.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 12

I don't see many avenues that would lead to another college basketball game in the future. Even removing the court case revolving around the NCAA out of the equation, neither 2k or EA sold enough college basketball titles to warrant a continuation of resources dedicated to either title.

TLDR...Its not profitable.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

The chances are slim. But I would like to think that eventually someone would jump back into the fold. Most likely after the O'bannon likeness stuff is settled and a new model emerges. Now in my dream world, 2K would release a licensed College Hoops game with a totally fictitious roster. Maybe even one created by SimWorld. Running on the NBA2K15 engine with College Hoops 2k8 copied and pasted onto it. Add a MyCareer mode that I can scan myself into (drop the story stuff). Finally, have an Ultimate Team like mode where we can play with (and buy) current NBA players during their college years and put a team together to play online. Make the game a digital downlaod and release ever few years and market it through NBA 2K. The game sold like 8 million last year. Surely they could peel off a fraction of that for a college title. Anyway, It's not gonna happen and I know that. But man I can dream.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »