Home

Has Madden on Next Gen made in progress with Special teams play?

This is a discussion on Has Madden on Next Gen made in progress with Special teams play? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40
Has Madden on Next Gen made in progress with Special teams play?

Blocked FG's or Punt's?

CPU AI players that are capable of returning Punts or Kickoffs for TD's?

Long Snappers who make mistakes at times?

Seems like EA has never really considered puting this in the game even though it's apart of authentic football

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
Rookie

Agatorfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Has Madden on Next Gen made in progress with Special teams play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Blocked FG's or Punt's?

CPU AI players that are capable of returning Punts or Kickoffs for TD's?

Long Snappers who make mistakes at times?

Seems like EA has never really considered puting this in the game even though it's apart of authentic football
I've legit only blocked a kick once. that wasn't even in madden, it was in ncaa. And the snappers always seem to have a perfect snap regardless of weather/wind
Old 06-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

That would be a negative. Don't hold your breathe. People already complaining penalties going to happen this year. They would probably riot if they lose a game due to a bad snap on a punt or having a punt or FG blocked.

The only year AI special teams was actually good was Madden 10. You would think it would be an easy fix to tell kick off and punt returners to stop running in a straight line directly into defenders, use the entire field. Apparently it isn't. I'm still waiting for Madden to give me an AI RB that break off Barry Sanders or even USC Reggie Bush like runs with change of directions and cut backs across the field.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
That would be a negative. Don't hold your breathe. People already complaining penalties going to happen this year. They would probably riot if they lose a game due to a bad snap on a punt or having a punt or FG blocked.

The only year AI special teams was actually good was Madden 10. You would think it would be an easy fix to tell kick off and punt returners to stop running in a straight line directly into defenders, use the entire field. Apparently it isn't. I'm still waiting for Madden to give me an AI RB that break off Barry Sanders or even USC Reggie Bush like runs with change of directions and cut backs across the field.
Yeah man, i never really thought about how players run directly into blockers. They should be taking angles and avoiding them. Kind of the way DEs run around tackles.

When i was on kickoff teams, i would fix my sights on the returner and use my peripheral vision to see who was coming at me. It was easy to trick them into thinking i didnt see them and make moves around them, at the expense of my position in the lane.

Madden is cleaning up rough edges slowly, but there are still AI behaviors that dont even try to look convincing.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Probably the worst and "least sim" aspect of the game IMO. Special teams seems like a tacked on afterthought, other than new meters or camera angles the last few years.

Something tells me that this area and equipment overhauls are going to be feature announcements in near future titles

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 20

Special Teams are 1/3 of football but has never received attention in this series.

No bad snaps, ball does not bounce realistically on punts, long-snappers do not matter, no blocks, kicking is still really easy, no special teams depth chart/formation subs, CPU is never dangerous on returns....

Madden has addressed numerous different parts of the gameplay on the offense and defense over the last few years, so I am still hopeful a special teams overhaul is on the horizon.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:47 PM   #7
Rookie

My guess is we'll see it in a future title - chances are, they didn't want to bite off too much this year, and instead want to focus on getting what they are focusing on (the passing game) done right, rather than having several new systems working horribly.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:34 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 1

I really hope they get better kick/punt returns and occasional blocks in the game next year. I mean they've even got the punt block play but there's literally no reason to use it because it never, ever works.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »