Home

Lead offs and pick offs

This is a discussion on Lead offs and pick offs within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
Lead offs and pick offs

To me the 'cat and mouse' running game is very frustrating. I have not picked the cpu off this whole season (The Show 17) and truly don't remember ever picking him off and I have been playing since 2007.

The cpu has a knack for never throwing over then picking me off the instant I take that extra step (an exaggeration I know)...

I wish this worked evenly.

Also a mechanic could be added where the human chooses the length or steps of a lead not just the boring default we get.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

Re: Lead offs and pick offs

I knew the cat and mouse mechanic was a load of bologna. Can't take an extra step without the CPU throwing over, especially if you try to steal its an automatic pick off.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #3
Pro

I'd be OK with the pick offs if I was able to get back safely at a realistic %
Old 06-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

I've found turning cpu pickoffs down 1 notch makes the whole aspect so much better.

As for picking the cpu off, I try and throw right as they take that extra step.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #5

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
I knew the cat and mouse mechanic was a load of bologna. Can't take an extra step without the CPU throwing over, especially if you try to steal its an automatic pick off.
Such a gross over exaggeration, if that were the case I wouldn't be #2 in the majors in steals having just started September. Have I been picked off? Of course I have but it happens like once every 50 games and is nowhere near an issue. One thing I will say is if you take that extra step and they throw over, if you take that extra step again the very next pitch you increase your likelihood of being picked off. If the CPU throws over I'll purposefully not take that extra step on the next pitch and then take it after that pitch unless he throws over again, rinse and repeat. Last month (August) I went 24/30 in steals using Armor's sliders, again, I see zero issue with stealing or pickoffs.

One thing I should mention is if you're only tapping to steal that could be an issue with success rate as they get horrible jumps. I manual steal and have for at least the last 100 games played and my success rate is above MLB averages.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Pro

To steal 2nd I hold to the right and tap L2. Is there a better way?
Old 06-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #7

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodyBucs
To steal 2nd I hold to the right and tap L2. Is there a better way?
Yeah don't tap it, they get a horrible jump and you'll be thrown out far more then you should. It's unfortunate but the steal rating, which I assume would dictate the jump they get when you simply tap L2, doesn't seem to come into play as everyone gets the game bad jump.

What you want to get yourself better at is manual stealing which means holding L2 and releasing just as they start their windup or just before if you can read them well enough. Just be careful not to release L2 too early as you will take off and then get caught in a run down. It works far better and is much more successful then simply tapping L2 and hoping they get a good jump for you.

EDIT - I just checked and I'm 97/121 in steals on the season meaning I'm successful 80.2% of the time leading the majors in steal success.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:44 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Could the horrible jumps be related to your steal slider and pitch speed? I only tap as I want the player's ratings to determine their jump and my players get good jumps all of the time, but I play with pitch speed maxed out while IIRC Armour's sliders have pitch speed near default. It could be the game's way of trying to balance out that part of the game by making jumps worse to account for the extended time it takes the ball to reach the catcher.

I could be completely wrong. I have not tested this at all, but I see people complaining about the poor jumps quite a bit from the tap method, but I am using it to steal with guys like Khris Davis and Yonder Alonso.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »