Home

NHL 18 Franchise Mode Details and Trailer

This is a discussion on NHL 18 Franchise Mode Details and Trailer within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 18 Franchise Mode Details and Trailer

In NHL 18, Franchise Mode now lets you reshape the entire NHL with the new Expansion Draft feature where you get to create and draft a 32nd NHL team and shake up the league. Watch the NHL 18 Franchise Mode trailer here.

Pick from top players as you run an expansion draft, building a unique 32nd NHL team roster and take on the front office role to manage the team and the business. Select your team’s hometown location and choosing from cities across North America and Europe, then design everything from the arena, uniforms, logos and – for the first time ever- your very own mascot; all in the new Creation Zone.

Franchise Mode also now features the Vegas Golden Knights, giving you the option to play as the new 31st team or to re-run the Golden Knights expansion draft on your own and make the picks you want to see on the team.

For more NHL 18 Franchise Mode details, visit the official EA SPORTS NHL website.

EXPANSION
There are 3 modes to play within NHL® 18 Franchise mode: Classic, 31 Team Expansion Draft and 32 Team Expansion Draft.

CLASSIC
Classic Mode is Franchise Mode as you know and love it. All 31 NHL teams will start with your active roster. Select your team and jump straight into the 2017-18 NHL Season from the start of the pre-season in September.

31 TEAM EXPANSION DRAFT
In the 31 Team Expansion Draft Mode, you start your journey three days before the Expansion Draft begins. There are two Expansion Draft scenarios for you to play in this mode: as the Vegas Golden Knights or as another NHL team.

If you choose to be the Vegas Golden Knights, you will go through the Expansion Draft and redraft their team based off your choice of either the Authentic Protected Player lists or computer-generated protection lists. You must follow the NHL Expansion Draft rules and select at least 14 forwards, 9 defenders and 3 goalies.

If you choose to be an existing NHL franchise, you can either set your own protection list or have the computer auto-generate one for you. Your protection list must follow NHL Expansion Draft rules and contain either 7 forwards, 3 defensemen and a goalie or 8 skaters and a goalie. Proceed to the Expansion Draft where the Vegas Golden Knights will take a player from your team.

After the Expansion Draft, you will head into the 2017 NHL® Entry Draft where you can draft and trade players like any other NHL team, and follow the regular off-season schedule with re-signing your players and Free Agency before jumping into the 2017-18 NHL season.

32 TEAM EXPANSION DRAFT
Reshape the entire NHL and create and draft a 32nd NHL team. Select the hometown for your team from cities all across North America and even in Europe - from Stockholm to Helsinki to Berlin to St. Petersburg. Customize everything about your team including the team name, the arena, the jerseys and even the mascot.

After you finish creating your team, you can then choose to customize the AHL team to fit the theme of your new franchise. When you are done creating your team, jump into an authentic Expansion Draft where you select a player from the same 30 NHL teams across the league that Vegas did. The protection lists will be computer-generated from after the Vegas Golden Knights’ picked their roster.

Like the 31 Team Expansion Draft Mode, you will jump into the 2017 NHL® Entry Draft after the Expansion Draft. From there you will continue on with the rest of the 2017 NHL off-season activities, including a re-sign phase and Free Agency.

You can also choose to add a 32nd team and select an already-existing NHL franchise, like you can in the 31 Team Expansion Draft Mode.

EXPANSION MODE OPTIONS
There have been some added options to help customize your Franchise Mode experience. These include whether you want authentic Protection Lists for the Expansion Draft, the ability to toggle Player Morale on or off and the ability to toggle on or off certain pop-up notification warnings, like Scouting Assignment Warnings.

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Steve_OS; 08-22-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 18 Franchise Mode Details and Trailer

Mostly about Expansion that we knew about (it sounds neat). Not a lot of new stuff for Franchise mode.

Hopefully they have played NBA 2K (you can do so much in MyLeague) and add some depth, customization, and more stats stuff like that game has.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
MVP

Nickflyers's Arena

OVR: 16

Big thing I noticed from the trailer!!! Makes it easier for the 32nd team!!

Twitch

YouTube Channel
Old 08-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

After hearing that Super Mega Baseball 2 is being delayed, I will probably be picking this up. The franchise mode improvements look pretty fun.

I am going to be in search of a math wizard out there to determine the new overall formulas for the forwards, defensemen, and goalies. I will utilize these for the 2017-18 Revamped Rosters.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31
If there's no roster sharing then this will be another easy pass for me. Revamped Rosters make this game...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #6
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

Love how they allowed various options for expansion, and contract extensions during the season. Hopefully the promised progression and draft class revamp works out and I'll be very happy with this years edition. That's the biggest key to Franchise this year.

When they've talked about it not being a big component of the average players hours a year or two back, it has been understandable that they would get that data simply because Franchise mode has never felt like a deep experience. It has lacked the progression and intelligence by the players and AI teams to realistically play 25 seasons with satisfactory results.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Worst Franchise Mode in all of sports gaming. An expansion draft isn't going to change that. There is no player differentiation which makes the mode pointless to being with. Sad since hockey is by far my favorite sport but I'll have to go with Madden this year.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #8
Pro

Josam27o7's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariya05
Worst Franchise Mode in all of sports gaming. An expansion draft isn't going to change that. There is no player differentiation which makes the mode pointless to being with. Sad since hockey is by far my favorite sport but I'll have to go with Madden this year.
How do you play Madden w/ its horrible floaty disconnected pure left-stick control movement feeling? Ruins the game. The basics are off.

Nhl's pure left-stick control is pretty decent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »