Home

A good read I first discovered many years ago that could some guys with their offense

This is a discussion on A good read I first discovered many years ago that could some guys with their offense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2017, 01:48 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
A good read I first discovered many years ago that could some guys with their offense

Some of you may have read some of my posts in many of the reading defense or what plays you call threads.

If so you are aware that I love hi-lo reads and how I have commented that I borrow heavily from Peyton Manning.

Well I stumbled across the original article that led me to adopt my offense, and thought I'd share it here for any who may be interested:

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/20...ay-levels.html

Chris Brown then revisited this subject in a piece he wrote for Grantland:
http://grantland.com/features/how-re...enver-broncos/

So give these links a read, and consider running the concept in practice mode.

(quick note: I always roll my eyes in the offense advice threads because inevitably you will get some well meaning poster say "mix up your playcalls, don't call the same stuff." Such comments are often accompanied by claims that calling any one play more than an handful of times in a game is "not sim." Pay special attention to the second article where it is stated that Peyton runs levels usually 10 times a game, and sometimes as often as 20. Peyton's offense was not sim)

Also if you have any links similar that maybe detail other passing concepts please do share them!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2017, 02:27 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: A good read I first discovered many years ago that could some guys with their off

Definitely a good read there. Had me searching for more articles about offenses.
Just discovered that my custom playbook is basically a modern Air Coryell offense.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:29 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Re: A good read I first discovered many years ago that could some guys with their off

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes313
Definitely a good read there. Had me searching for more articles about offenses.
Just discovered that my custom playbook is basically a modern Air Coryell offense.
Ravens ran that back in Flacco's early years when Cam was the OC. I was never any good with it
Old 09-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
MVP

Good reads, thanks.what formation and set would you recommend running this from in madde for somebody that wants to icorporate it into their playbook but not organize their entire playbook into the concept?

Last edited by timhere1970; 09-09-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Good stuff, makes me wish they'd introduce and expand upon the linked plays feature from NCAA so you can actually set up the cpu. Run levels a few times and it should open up the smash for you
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
Rookie

manEATgod's Arena

I've been doing this in my online league for a while now and it's really fun. I've been lucky to get Ravens consistently and I've gone from running their version of the Air Coryell to the Kubiak Zone Run West Coast Offense and now to a combination of power run man/gap blocking and west coast offense that they are going for.

Greg Roman is spearheading the run game so I went and looked him up completely. Here's what I'm using to recreate his scheme.

http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/...re-greg-roman/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...most-creative/

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...1695--nfl.html

There was some other stuff on a site called "Building the Herd" but I can't seem to access it anymore. It had both the run and pass concepts he favors.

As for those articles on Peyton Manning's offenses, that's partly what got me into the Xs and Os growing up. The reality that Peyton was just running a few concepts based on what he he saw from the defense, and picked defenses apart en route to his typical 13-3 season, was astounding to me.

I've also always loved "Levels" because of that article as well.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Good reads, thanks.what formation and set would you recommend running this from in madde for somebody that wants to icorporate it into their playbook but not organize their entire playbook into the concept?
It can be ran from any 2x2 set. I run it from singleback dice slot the most, but it can just as easily be ran from shotgun doubles.

You can also easily create your own version from virtually any formation that has 2 receivers/TE on one side when you need at least 8 yards for a first. Hot route 2 receivers to run in routes, then smart route the inside in route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manEATgod
I've been doing this in my online league for a while now and it's really fun. I've been lucky to get Ravens consistently and I've gone from running their version of the Air Coryell to the Kubiak Zone Run West Coast Offense and now to a combination of power run man/gap blocking and west coast offense that they are going for.

Greg Roman is spearheading the run game so I went and looked him up completely. Here's what I'm using to recreate his scheme.

http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/...re-greg-roman/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...most-creative/

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...1695--nfl.html

There was some other stuff on a site called "Building the Herd" but I can't seem to access it anymore. It had both the run and pass concepts he favors.

As for those articles on Peyton Manning's offenses, that's partly what got me into the Xs and Os growing up. The reality that Peyton was just running a few concepts based on what he he saw from the defense, and picked defenses apart en route to his typical 13-3 season, was astounding to me.

I've also always loved "Levels" because of that article as well.
For Peyton, yeah prior to reading the articles I, like a lot of people, figured that Peyton's offense was unusually deep. I was surprised to find out that the Colts playbook was unusually small, that instead they just had a handful of plays and concepts that complimented each other perfectly.

Regarding the Ravens, how long have you been using the Kubiak scheme? Back when he was the HC for the Texans I also used his playbook in my Ravens franchise. I'd be lying if I said that Madden was not near the front of my thoughts when he was hired as OC.

I'll give the Roman articles a read.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 4

My obsession with X's and O's started wth Steve Spurrier... then Mike Martz... and finally Peyton Manning...

Every year I create a new playbook called "Peyton" that has the 6-13 plays in multiple formations with audibles built in to match any pre coverage looks... usually a mixture levels/flood/mesh/WR screen/HB screen/3 verts

Just wish they would have all variations of how he throws levels and option routes run properly on his 3 verticles play...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »