Home

Why do people say hitting is broken?

This is a discussion on Why do people say hitting is broken? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9

I just started playing '18, which will be my baseball game for this year. I keep reading posts here and other places about hitting being broken. Why is that? In my limited time so far the hitting feels just like the last few years.

IMO zone has always been broken for me because the PCI locks as soon as you begin your swing. Because of that I just can't use zone. I still can't seem to decide between directional and whatever the other option is called where you swing with the right analog and swing out or in to get to pitches outside or inside. None of these options feels as good as the 2K series did with the zone hitting that flowed as you swung. I don't like how directional is an influence on how you want to hit the ball and not where you want your swing to be. If I want to push a ball to the opposite side, let me control that by swinging later. If I want to get air under a ball, let me choose to swing under it.

I'm just trying to find a hitting option that satisfies me, and I'm a little concerned about posts saying hitting in '18 is messed up. Maybe I should go back to '17 if '18 wrecked things.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Why do people say hitting is broken?

This is my theory: 1) they dont have sliders tuned right 2) they're playing on the wrong difficulty level 3) they're playing with the padres phillies or mets

A Work in Progress
Old 02-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
Bacon's Fictional Roster

bacon96's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
This is my theory: 1) they dont have sliders tuned right 2) they're playing on the wrong difficulty level 3) they're playing with the padres phillies or mets
Yeap. Very correct. Sliders and difficulty make a big difference in perception of the game. You just gotta find a happy medium where it's a little difficult and a little fun.

Join my Discord Server!

#BaseballisBetter
Old 02-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon96
Yeap. Very correct. Sliders and difficulty make a big difference in perception of the game. You just gotta find a happy medium where it's a little difficult and a little fun.

Exactly. Today.....played a franchise game with my Fantasy Cardinals team. Hit two gap triples with Ender Inciarte (contact hitter)....not one...two.

Most know my play style and sliders and settings. Hitting for me has never been better than it was on 18.

Sent from Palm Trees and Paradise using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 02-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
MVP

Syce's Arena

hitting was essentially broken in the Online portion of the Game. Because Power hitters were the META. which means, if any player that has low power and high contact(for example Robby Alomar Jr.) were crap. And even SDS devs Admitted they were not working correctly, which is why they added some back end power to contact hitters(im talking in the Coding of the game not what we the players see in game)
Toronto Maple Leafs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Exactly. Today.....played a franchise game with my Fantasy Cardinals team. Hit two gap triples with Ender Inciarte (contact hitter)....not one...two.
Yep - I love these kinds of hitters.

I'm over here building the Rockies for gap power + Joey Gallo lol
Old 02-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #7
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

It's all well and good saying it's all about getting the right sliders, but you can't change them in DD, so if the default sliders aren't up to scratch then a lot of people are going to say hitting is broken.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
Banned

One of the things that really soured me on sim sports was the realization that we create the exact challenge we want. As we adjust sliders, we get numbers we want, but never really learn to play better. It’s paint by numbers.

Sports is about competing, whether against yourself or others. Tweaking sliders is antithetical to that. If I dial in my sliders do that my players hit and pitch realistically, I’m not competing. I’m coloring.

If I tweak sliders and throw a no-hitter, so what? If you do that in DD, you are operating under the same sliders. At the end of a game, I’m looking at how I can improve, not how I can tweak sliders.

Honestly, this is why the loss of online franchise modes suck. Regardless of how you might tweak sliders, everyone is operating on the same system.

I’ve gone to playing sports games with as few changes to default sliders as much as possible, even solo. I’m quit worrying about every sim stat, and just started playing and competing. Once I stopped playing sports games to find what’s wrong, I enjoyed them so much more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »