Home

Earning strikeouts.

This is a discussion on Earning strikeouts. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-23-2020, 10:56 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Earning strikeouts.

I'm having the toughest time this year in punching out batters. I'm really curious though if it's because of the mediocre (at best) rotation and the atrocious bullpen of the Cubs. My best pitcher is Kyle Hendricks and he's an 85 overall. My bullpen is full of guys in the 70's and I have two players that have ratings in the low to mid-80's (Dan Winkler 84, and Craig Kimbrel 81). Right now through the first nine games of the season I have the fewest strikeouts of any National League team with just 51. The only team that has fewer is the lowly Baltimore Oriles.

I pitch on Hall of Fame with classic (basically Armor & Sword's sliders) and I will not really consider changing that. In year's past I've had issues here and there striking out batters but not quite like this year. For anyone that uses similar settings and plays with the Cubs, what are your numbers looking like? And for anyone that plays with my settings and has a good rotation and bullpen, are you getting good strikeout totals?

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2020, 11:13 PM   #2
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Earning strikeouts.

I know you clearly said you wouldn’t consider switching from HOF classic but hear me out.

I also used classic HOF default and simply put you’ll never get the realistic strikeout totals. I don’t obsess over stats but I was using the Indians who have a killer rotation (clevinger and Bieber are an 88) and I was also dead last in Ks

I went to completely default all star for pitching and it’s been really fun. I like for it to be possible to strikeout a huge amount of batters. That’s just so fun to me being able to completely dominate hitters. Last year IRL clevinger struck out 10 in 5 innings vs the white Sox. I feel like in the game on HOF that’s almost impossible

All star really brings out the ratings for pitching in my opinion. Hitting is another story (I use HOF with lowered slider values)

You can also still get rocked on All Star believe it or not. Like I said, I know you clearly said you wouldn’t switch from HOF but if you want realistic strikeouts you need to atleast just try all Star. If there’s not enough teeth for the cpu hitters try upping contact by 1. Hope this helps even though I really elaborated on something you said you won’t do lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-23-2020, 11:19 PM   #3
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I'm having the toughest time this year in punching out batters. I'm really curious though if it's because of the mediocre (at best) rotation and the atrocious bullpen of the Cubs. My best pitcher is Kyle Hendricks and he's an 85 overall. My bullpen is full of guys in the 70's and I have two players that have ratings in the low to mid-80's (Dan Winkler 84, and Craig Kimbrel 81). Right now through the first nine games of the season I have the fewest strikeouts of any National League team with just 51. The only team that has fewer is the lowly Baltimore Oriles.

I pitch on Hall of Fame with classic (basically Armor & Sword's sliders) and I will not really consider changing that. In year's past I've had issues here and there striking out batters but not quite like this year. For anyone that uses similar settings and plays with the Cubs, what are your numbers looking like? And for anyone that plays with my settings and has a good rotation and bullpen, are you getting good strikeout totals?
I pitch the same way. I found the game the opening weekend was great. I had swing and misses. Now after release day and the last couple patches. HOF classic has been awful.

Pitching with guys like Cole ball drifts to middle of plate. Give up a lot of home runs and see few swing and misses.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2020, 11:31 PM   #4
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Yeah, no way I’m going back to All-Star. I left that behind with MLB 16 or so.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 03-23-2020, 11:36 PM   #5
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

I use HOF classic with Mike Lowes sliders set and have no issues getting guys out swinging or looking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2020, 11:36 PM   #6
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

Earning strikeouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Yeah, no way I’m going back to All-Star. I left that behind with MLB 16 or so.

Well not to sound snarky but HOF isn’t changing unless there’s a patch, and if you’ve been playing well before 16 I’m sure you know how to pitch. Best of luck sir!

Last edited by Rmiok222; 03-23-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:33 AM   #7
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

I used to pitch with pure analog, I might give that a shot again this year. I really like having the clean screen, but I’d also like to have a little better success punching out hitters.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 03-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
Rookie

Shuckman's Arena

OVR: 7

I also use Armor's sliders and HOF classic pitching and just had 10 ks with Dinelson Lament on my opening day game. Granted he has a 89 k/9 rating. I will see how the rest of my rotation does since they are mostly low 80's and 70's. But I have not had a big issue so far with my test run games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »