Home

Fans of this series, sell me on it...

This is a discussion on Fans of this series, sell me on it... within the OOTP Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
Fans of this series, sell me on it...

I've been considering this game. I've actually thought about getting it for the last couple of seasons but haven't pulled the trigger. I love baseball and love some of the front office stuff. I've been missing a lot of that when playing The Show.

So if you're already a fan please tell me why I should invest in this series? Thank you in advance to those who take the time to give me some insight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Fans of this series, sell me on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop
I've been considering this game. I've actually thought about getting it for the last couple of seasons but haven't pulled the trigger. I love baseball and love some of the front office stuff. I've been missing a lot of that when playing The Show.

So if you're already a fan please tell me why I should invest in this series? Thank you in advance to those who take the time to give me some insight.
I am very new to the series but this game is amazing. The depth is simply outstanding. YOu can play ANY historical season you want, and even include real transactions to happen during the seasons as they did IRL.

If you love 'front office stuff' this is absolutely the game for you. It is admittedly overwhelming at first--but man, once you get into it, it is SO good!

If you're a FIFA player and you've played Football Manager, it's strikingly similar dynamic.

This game has really put a damper on franchise mode for me for MLBTS (which, I still love). It just makes the mode look even more 'bare bones' than it did before.

Well worth $39.99 IMO.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #3
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

The level of detail is absolutely unmatched by any sports game.. in the history of gaming. As it should be for MLB.

Play any season in the history of MLB with a couple of mouse clicks.

One of the most unique games ever made.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:43 AM   #4
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

OVR: 13

Maybe the best thing, nearly every rule, option, set up can be turned on/off or adjusted.
It's extremely customizable. The developers listen to feedback and try their best to get everything put into the game whether on release or throughout the year.
I'm a fictional league player. Been playing ootp for years.

I created my own league, spent some time to put in logos and jerseys. The game now ships with some decent logos for thousands of teams that the community worked on. That along with the facegen the game comes with helps to make the players more real and not just a name on a spreadsheet.
I've played my fictional universe for several versions now and you start to follow the best players in the leagues like in real life.
I love to look over the different statistical leaders, like career hr and see Joe Smith has 490 or my season saves record could be broken soon.

With options set up you can have your assistant gm do several of the tasks, look after minor league teams etc at the start and then you can take over at any time. Maybe do a test league that you can fool around in trying out trades, free agent signings without worrying about wrecking your real league.

There's even a commissioner mode you can toggle on allowing you to go over budget, force trades, edit players etc so you further set things up in your league like you want.

This year they tweaked the continue button so you should get prompted to do the next important task which will help guide new players throughout the baseball year.

With ootp it's a game that you can get through seasons really quick if you want if you like to dive into the league history and stats or you can use the real time sim and have the day play out in real time, or 2x, 4x etc, with your game playing out in 3d if you want.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
Rookie

OReilly10's Arena

OVR: 7

The product is great.

The biggest factor for me though is the level of engagement that the developers have with the users. They have a lot of twitch streams and it feels like they are as big of a fan of the game as us. I could converse online via a few avenues with people who create the game at any time and ideas/suggestions are welcome. Suggestions are implemented and the game is improved every year. If a suggestion isn't good, often times you will get an explanation.

The product itself is outstanding. It is a fun, engaging, deep, well-balanced experience. A complete sandbox to do what you want. Do you want to pick up the Marlins starting with the expansion draft in 1992 and re-start history? Its there. You want to start the Reds franchise from the 1800s? Go for it. The rules, financial rules, and even the monitary scaling all evolve with the times.... unless you choose to do a different way. Do you want a salary cap and re-draft the 1927 season? Do it. Fictional League with all fictional teams? Start a new expansion for 2020 as a team from your city and also add another in? Do you want to just pick up the Cubs franchise as a GM (and could be the manager too) starting in 2020 moving forward? Then do it. It is very deep. You have a full minor league system, scouts, coaches (even recent retired players pop up as new coaches you could hire).
Everything is very customizable too. Their forum is filled with mods, logos, uniforms, ballparks, etc.

I never got into the card collection games, but their Perfect Team drew me in. It is a lot of fun.

The game-play isnt good though if you need a video game experience. You can manage and watch the game play out (or just spectate).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I've been playing since v2 many, many years ago.

When they finally went 3d, my dreams finally became reality and I was able to let go of FPS Baseball 96.

Immersive, deep, accurate, beautiful, engaging and just a wonderful baseball sports simulation. I have hundreds of hours with each version.

I lay awake at night thinking about my next trade or how to get the best out of my lineup for the next series. It's easy to change logos/jerseys and facegen is awesome.

There is no other simulation like it.

Calling up my 1st round pick CF and watching him smash a HR on his first at bat is a feeling you just don't get with most simulations.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #7
MVP

Nickflyers's Arena

OVR: 16

There is so much you can do and adjust. Like it was said earlier. If you want to make a league based in the Game of Thrones world, you can. I've created a Pokemon Baseball League complete with the cities in the regions. The OOTP World is your oyster!

Twitch

YouTube Channel
Old 06-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #8
Rookie

goroyals's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop

The key word in your post is "some". If you're like me, you might love trying to build a dynasty through free agency, the farm systems, and trades, but maybe you're not crazy about some of the obscure real life rules.

Don't like draft pick compensation for signing a Free Agent? Turn it off. Don't like the 40 man roster and wavier rules? Turn them off. Too many minor leagues? You can restructure the minors or eliminate them altogether.

Want to replay baseball history with a draft, free agency, and a salary cap? You can do it. Want to make a league in Zimbabwe with a max of two South African imports per team, that resembles the dead-ball era and does a complete redraft every year? Yep, you can do that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball »