Home

CPU sacks

This is a discussion on CPU sacks within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2020, 11:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
CPU sacks

In typical Madden fashion I think they overcorrected the QB tucking the ball on sacks too much in '20. In this years game (almost no matter how low I put the user pass block sliders), I almost never give up sacks.

Don't get me wrong, I can have it where I get hit plenty. But way too often my QB will get off a wild last second pass, and the result is almost never a sack.

I simply want my QB to actually take some sacks. I didn't think this was a major problem last year, even though I heard some complaints. Either way, I think they did a terrible job "fixing" it.

I think I have a pretty good slider set for realistic stats, but this user sack issue is throwing it all off.

Let me know if any of u guys that play against CPU are noticing the same thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: CPU sacks

I am for sure. I think in the last 4 games I’ve played I’ve taken 1 sack. They aren’t really getting much pressure on me and I have my pass block at 40. This is with different teams as I have 32 team league where I get a random team every game and play 6 minute quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Pro

I'm not noticing any issues. Into my 3rd year (sample size) of an AP franchise, default sliders, mix of played and simmed games.

Sacks seem to be pretty normal at both the game/team and league/season level. Individual games, whether played or simmed, will vary in sacks, with a mean of roughly 2-4 per game for and against...games ranging as low as zero or as high as 6 are not shockingly rare, but are infrequent. League leaders finish the year in the low to mid teens...nobody's challenged for the record yet.

FWIW, the fact that you use sliders to normalize individual stats at more of a micro level, and the fact that this is the only stat that's continuing to trip you up, makes this sound like you maybe overadjusted somewhere (possibly in response to a smallish sample size stat event), and the sack thing is an unexpected downstream impact of that. That's not a critique....it's easy to do...just trying to identify where the problem cropped up.

It sounds like you're happy with all of the rest of your slider results...if it were me, I might consider just living with the sack results for a while, and see if it normalizes out over time (a couple seasons). If the one stat is really a warstopper for you, you might fix it faster by going back to default and making slow, incremental changes (write down the ones you've got now first, obviously).

Edit: the fact that you're only seeing it against you....not anywhere else in the league...raises the possibility that there's something in the way you play that impacts it. In my experience, human influence has more impact than any slider.

Are you seeing this in played games? Simmed games? If played, do you drop back unusually far, or immediately roll out of clean pockets? Are you emphasizing a short, quick, high-percentage passing game? Have you customized your line's stats or traits at all?

Last edited by tg88forHOF; 09-19-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
Rookie

In the online franchise we've been playing, it seems like even elite rushers aren't getting a ton of pressure in general without being usered.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
MVP

TJ Watt does just fine for me on All-Madden default.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

Depending who i am playing on the cpu or who i have on my o-line i think it's just right. We all complained last year about the issue of our user o lineman stinking up the joint..but this year i think it is a bit better. I still get pressure in my face, especially if its a x factor guy

Only thing that might be overpowered though is the throw out of sack for the qbs. I do think they can tone that down
Old 09-20-2020, 05:13 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg88forHOF
I'm not noticing any issues. Into my 3rd year (sample size) of an AP franchise, default sliders, mix of played and simmed games.

Sacks seem to be pretty normal at both the game/team and league/season level. Individual games, whether played or simmed, will vary in sacks, with a mean of roughly 2-4 per game for and against...games ranging as low as zero or as high as 6 are not shockingly rare, but are infrequent. League leaders finish the year in the low to mid teens...nobody's challenged for the record yet.

FWIW, the fact that you use sliders to normalize individual stats at more of a micro level, and the fact that this is the only stat that's continuing to trip you up, makes this sound like you maybe overadjusted somewhere (possibly in response to a smallish sample size stat event), and the sack thing is an unexpected downstream impact of that. That's not a critique....it's easy to do...just trying to identify where the problem cropped up.

It sounds like you're happy with all of the rest of your slider results...if it were me, I might consider just living with the sack results for a while, and see if it normalizes out over time (a couple seasons). If the one stat is really a warstopper for you, you might fix it faster by going back to default and making slow, incremental changes (write down the ones you've got now first, obviously).

Edit: the fact that you're only seeing it against you....not anywhere else in the league...raises the possibility that there's something in the way you play that impacts it. In my experience, human influence has more impact than any slider.

Are you seeing this in played games? Simmed games? If played, do you drop back unusually far, or immediately roll out of clean pockets? Are you emphasizing a short, quick, high-percentage passing game? Have you customized your line's stats or traits at all?
The problem is my sliders work for all other facets besides the balance between user passing and getting sacked. You average just over 7 yards per pass and just over 4 yards per run. The balance comes from the combined risk of higher chance of turover on passes combined with the chance of getting sacked.

I have my pass accuracy around 21 and my user blocking at 15 (or lower). I have the blocking so poor that the defense has little trouble beating my oline. And those are the only 2 pass sliders I touch besides interceptions.

The issue stems from what the person above me mentioned. The very high frequency of the pass out of sack animation. I have found it impossible to actually give up around 2.5 sacks per game.

In order to do this I would need to lower the pass block sliders to an absurd level. This would result in a ridiculous increase in throws while being hit. The pass out of sack frequency is the issue. I'll finish a game where that animation happens 5-10 times and still manage to not give up any sacks. The most I have given up is 2 in many games.

So I really don't see any way to fix it regardless if I like the rest of my sliders. You need to give up sacks to create balance.

I was able to do this in Madden 20, even though that game was far from perfect.

*And FYI, I always stay in the pocket. And the low accuracy punishes you if you run back too far.

Last edited by MrGDubbs; 09-20-2020 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGDubbs
The problem is my sliders work for all other facets besides the balance between user passing and getting sacked. You average just over 7 yards per pass and just over 4 yards per run. The balance comes from the combined risk of higher chance of turover on passes combined with the chance of getting sacked.

I have my pass accuracy around 21 and my user blocking at 15 (or lower). I have the blocking so poor that the defense has little trouble beating my oline. And those are the only 2 pass sliders I touch besides interceptions.

The issue stems from what the person above me mentioned. The very high frequency of the pass out of sack animation. I have found it impossible to actually give up around 2.5 sacks per game.

In order to do this I would need to lower the pass block sliders to an absurd level. This would result in a ridiculous increase in throws while being hit. The pass out of sack frequency is the issue. I'll finish a game where that animation happens 5-10 times and still manage to not give up any sacks. The most I have given up is 2 in many games.

So I really don't see any way to fix it regardless if I like the rest of my sliders. You need to give up sacks to create balance.

I was able to do this in Madden 20, even though that game was far from perfect.

*And FYI, I always stay in the pocket. And the low accuracy punishes you if you run back too far.
Ok, we're talking past each other a bit.

You'd originally asked if other people were seeing the same thing. As I indicated, at default sliders, I'm not.

It feels like the next logical question would be what's different...what's causing some people to experience what you're describing, and others not. The first answer that pops up is "other slider settings". That's not the only possible answer, just the first most likely one to investigate.

Whether what you're observing is animation-driven or not feels like it's beside the point....the issue isn't that the throw out of sack animation exists, the issue is that you're seeing it successfully avoid a sack at a higher rate than other people.

If the animation itself were just fundamentally broken, we'd all be seeing the behavior you describe. We're not. You're not even seeing it consistently....you're only really seeing it when the CPU rushes you as a user.

That speaks to something more localized to your setup, playstyle....something.

Shrug. Good luck tracking it down.

Last edited by tg88forHOF; 09-20-2020 at 02:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »