Home

Next Gen Shooting

This is a discussion on Next Gen Shooting within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2021, 02:42 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Next Gen Shooting

Ok guys, this will be my first time ever making a post like this since I’ve been a member here on OS. How in the **** do you make shots on this game without getting green release? I get good quality looks that are “slightly” early/late with either wide open and 30% or under coverage.

Unless I’m right at the rim or the shot is coming off of a post move I’m not making the shot period. Example I’m playing a game right now shooting 22% from the field and 7% from 3. I’m taking shots with good shooters, in the case of Buddy Hield great shooters, but I’ve only actually hit “green” on a couple shots this game so I’m just missing everything. Again I’m not taking smothered shots, or getting releases that are way off.

Only asking because it’s been an ongoing struggle now for awhile that seems to just get worse every time there is a game update. Surely I shouldn’t be expected to just try to get to the rim for dunks and fouls all game long, and shouldn’t be expected to always hit green release with every player for every jump shot either.

For a bit more context I’m playing on either All-Star or Superstar as a base with some of my normal tweets but I’ve already upped my mid range and 3pt sliders to 55 trying to fix this issue with no luck.

I have yet to try real%, but I’ve never liked that in the past because it feels like I typically get less of a reward for finding a wide open player and hitting a perfect release. It also feels with real% it’s hard to go on big scoring runs with great players/shooters and the game ends up feeling pretty bland without those moments. I’m open to trying it, I’ve just never preferred it in the past.

Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2021, 03:22 AM   #2
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Next Gen Shooting

You using timing or aiming?

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 01-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #3
Rookie

StickSkillz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Ok guys, this will be my first time ever making a post like this since I’ve been a member here on OS. How in the **** do you make shots on this game without getting green release? I get good quality looks that are “slightly” early/late with either wide open and 30% or under coverage.

Unless I’m right at the rim or the shot is coming off of a post move I’m not making the shot period. Example I’m playing a game right now shooting 22% from the field and 7% from 3. I’m taking shots with good shooters, in the case of Buddy Hield great shooters, but I’ve only actually hit “green” on a couple shots this game so I’m just missing everything. Again I’m not taking smothered shots, or getting releases that are way off.

Only asking because it’s been an ongoing struggle now for awhile that seems to just get worse every time there is a game update. Surely I shouldn’t be expected to just try to get to the rim for dunks and fouls all game long, and shouldn’t be expected to always hit green release with every player for every jump shot either.

For a bit more context I’m playing on either All-Star or Superstar as a base with some of my normal tweets but I’ve already upped my mid range and 3pt sliders to 55 trying to fix this issue with no luck.

I have yet to try real%, but I’ve never liked that in the past because it feels like I typically get less of a reward for finding a wide open player and hitting a perfect release. It also feels with real% it’s hard to go on big scoring runs with great players/shooters and the game ends up feeling pretty bland without those moments. I’m open to trying it, I’ve just never preferred it in the past.

Help?

Man 🤦🏾*♂️ when you get the answer... let me know lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

2014 season
(10-6) NFC EAST CHAMPS

2015 season
(1-1)

Old 01-14-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
Banned

Couple things you cant tweak.

1. Up your shooting sliders (3pt, mid range)
2. Lower Cpu's jumpshot defense slider and shot contest tendency
Old 01-14-2021, 07:41 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
You using timing or aiming?

I’m about 80% sure it’s on timing but I guess I need to check .. I actually put the game down for awhile to play Assassins Creed and cyberpunk and just now getting back to it. So I probably need to go back and look at all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarflacco
Couple things you cant tweak.

1. Up your shooting sliders (3pt, mid range)

2. Lower Cpu's jumpshot defense slider and shot contest tendency

I feel like I’ve got a good balance right now of how the game plays out other than my non-green jumpers. The very next game I played after this rant I hit a pretty high percentage, almost too high, but it was because a few of my barely missing “green” shots were green this time around.. So I don’t want to tweak the sliders more than I already have and consistently have games where I’m leading the league in FG%.. I want the realism to be there. Also tweaking the sliders likely means I would never miss a buzzer beater lol because the game is still too cheesy in that aspect.

I guess I just don’t like the fact that barely missing green on open shots means I’m going to shoot 10% but bumping the sliders more means the games I do hit more green instead of just getting close I’m going to shoot 70+%.. trying to find some sort of balance and just haven’t been able to do it yet.

In 2k games a few years back starting at HOF difficult and making tweaks from there was the winning solution. Now a days it feels like putting the sliders on HOF means the CPU is just going to hit everything they throw up, block everything I throw up, and just be unrealistically dominant. Idk who’s idea it was to make the game so reliant on green releases and shot feedback, IMO it progressively gets worse.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2021, 11:55 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 8

Seems like there's a lot of factors that affect jump shots in 2K21.

The success rate for jumpers is probably like a bell-shaped curve in statistics.

The red areas being late, yellow being slightly early/late...

The closer you are to green, the higher the make rate right...

But I think ratings change the rate of shots going in...

Like the yellow areas probably have a 40% success rate for an 85 rated shooter, 45% for 90 and so on.

Looking at the normal rosters, players who average around 34% from three have 3pt ratings below 85. So The floor for them, (yellow area) is probably closer to 30%-35% if I had to guess.

So the only way to shoot a respectable clip from deep is to hit a green or two, adjust sliders, or have a team full of 90-rated shooters.

I think being in the yellow area is probably the same as using real player % instead of shot timing. I've used it, and generally the higher rated shooters top out at around 55%, whereas if I'm using aiming, I can nail around 70% of my open shots.

Btw, this is all theory. Also, this is assuming all sliders are equal, meaning you're on All-Star difficulty.

Also... I find shot stick aiming to be vastly superior than timing for greens. Takes a while to get used to though.

Last edited by luda06; 01-15-2021 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:15 AM   #7
Rookie

XxStew21xx's Arena

I got rid of the shooting bar or whatever it's called. So just timing, no bar.

Also upped the sucess rate of my shots to about 53,54

Feels good
Old 01-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxStew21xx
I got rid of the shooting bar or whatever it's called. So just timing, no bar.

Also upped the sucess rate of my shots to about 53,54

Feels good

It’s not really the bar itself that’s the problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »