Home

MLB The Show 21 RTTS Discussion

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 21 RTTS Discussion within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #1
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
MLB The Show 21 RTTS Discussion

So I've always started a RTTS player but never really get anywhere as I usually get into franchise mode more. But THIS is the year I'll be on it a lot.

I decided to start I would create a CP so I'm not playing every game and can easily fly through seasons. His name is Max Armstrong, a lefty out of Indiana. I chose to let it be random for the draft and in the 3rd round of the 2020 draft, Max was drafted by the Boston Red Sox.

I thought about it and absolutely love it for a CP. My goal is to beat Mariano Rivera from Yankees rivals now for career saves.

I played through season one already and I'm early into season two now. In AA ball Max Armstrong appeared in 16 games with one start. 4-3 record 2.13 ERA and 2 for 2 in save opportunities. He was used as the SU man in AA so the save opportunities weren't given. By late into the season he was promoted to AAA, and there he was given the closing pitcher role. And boy did he perform! In 18 appearances he didn't give up a single run, only 8 hits allowed and got all 18 saves. However his first playoff appearance he would blow the save, his first of the season in AAA.The AAA team reached the championship game and lost unfortunately.

Second year we have begun in AAA as the closer. I should add in we throw a 4seam, changeup, slider, and a cutter. I do not ever plan to add or change his pitch repertoire as a CP. Honestly wish I never added a 4th pitch now but oh well.

Currently in his 2nd year in AAA we're early into May and he's been dominant. 9GP 2.00 ERA, 8/8 save opportunities. I play locked into Allstar + difficulty, Classic pitching interface, pitcher control at 4, and pitcher consistency set at 3.

Let's see what everyone else is doing! Are you going the two way player route the game tries to force upon us? Or are you locking into a position and sticking with it?

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

Last edited by DarthRambo; 05-15-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Re: MLB The Show 21 RTTS Discussion

Well it's June 3rd 2022 and Max Armstrong has been called up to the majors for the first time of his career!

Matt Barnes has a 7.50 ERA in 12ip so he has been relegated to the SU man as 19 year old Max Armstrong will take over as the closing pitcher for the Boston Red Sox. We're 6gb of the Yankees in the East. Hopefully Max can do his part to help them win more games.

I figured with how dominant he was in AAA the call up would be happening soon and here it is! Excited to begin his MLB career. First MLB debut and save opportunity comes vs the Orioles at Fenway park!

Last edited by DarthRambo; 05-15-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I hadn't played much rtts since they took away my ability to be a 40 year-old rookie.
but this year I'm actually liking rtts as much as I used to.
and it's because I'm liking being a two-way player.
and I thought that didn't appeal to me.
until I started playing that way.
immensely fun.
my players name is Zeke Aaron.
my back-story is Zeke is the long lost great-grandson of Bad Henry
who also happens to be possessed by the lost & wandering spirit of one George Herman Ruth.

drafted by Detroit. I like Erie but it just doesn't compare to Bowie lol

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 05-15-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:43 PM   #4
Rookie

nevadaO's Arena

OVR: 1

Question: How many games do you end up playing if you do both? I have sort of stayed in my lane as a SS so far but started another where I wanted to just pitch. Got drafted by Colorado which is a stupidly fun place to hit (obviously) so I'm actually considering it now, but with how tired a player *should* be getting I'd imagine you'd be limited in the number of games played throughout the year.

Any info here would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-15-2021, 08:56 PM   #5
Rookie

ExarKub00720's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaO
Question: How many games do you end up playing if you do both? I have sort of stayed in my lane as a SS so far but started another where I wanted to just pitch. Got drafted by Colorado which is a stupidly fun place to hit (obviously) so I'm actually considering it now, but with how tired a player *should* be getting I'd imagine you'd be limited in the number of games played throughout the year.

Any info here would be greatly appreciated!
Honestly depends on what kind of two way player you are. If you are a SP/position player it will vary if you are NL or AL team. AL teams you will get to hit more as you will play DH and whatever the other role is from time to time. Usually you pitch have a day off/ DH (AL only) then you will play your position the next two day and have a day off/DH (AL only) then pitch again.

The DH days are not always guaranteed if AL but they do tend to give you those from time to time.

If you are a position player/SP you odds are will play for 2 weeks as the position then have a day off then pitch then another day off then back to 2 weeks at the position.

I do find any combo of CP/RP as a two way player is a bit more hit or miss. They tend to be sporadic when they play and hit. It’s more like 2 days as position then like 3 days off that you might pitch in then back to 2 days on etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2021, 09:22 PM   #6
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExarKub00720
Honestly depends on what kind of two way player you are. If you are a SP/position player it will vary if you are NL or AL team. AL teams you will get to hit more as you will play DH and whatever the other role is from time to time. Usually you pitch have a day off/ DH (AL only) then you will play your position the next two day and have a day off/DH (AL only) then pitch again.

The DH days are not always guaranteed if AL but they do tend to give you those from time to time.

If you are a position player/SP you odds are will play for 2 weeks as the position then have a day off then pitch then another day off then back to 2 weeks at the position.

I do find any combo of CP/RP as a two way player is a bit more hit or miss. They tend to be sporadic when they play and hit. It’s more like 2 days as position then like 3 days off that you might pitch in then back to 2 days on etc.
I wish if you made yourself a two-way player closing pitcher that youd be in the lineup as a typical position player, and then leave your position and come onto the mound whenever you came in to close. But unfortunately, the strategy is very strict and restricts you to either being a position player OR a pitcher each day.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:51 PM   #7
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Finished out June of 2022. Max Armstrong now in the MLB trying to make his mark as one of the better CP in the league.

He gave up his first run and homerun of his career against guess who? Mike freaking Trout of course lol. Still got the save that game as we were up by 3 runs and it was a solo shot.

So far in his early career he's appeared in 7 games with a 1.42 ERA. 10k 1bb and already 6 saves. Has given up only three hits all to RH batters as LH hitters have yet to get a hit against him early on.

With July set to begin the Red Sox are making up some ground on the Yankees. 38-36 have us only 3gb of first place. If we can manage not to blow any saves I think we'll take over first place in the division soon.

Below his a photo of Max. Loving just playing as CP and coming in throwing hard and flying through a season. I tend to play through one month all at once before I stop playing. 20210515_234248.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Operation Sports mobile app

Old 05-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #8
Rookie

ACEsportaku's Arena

OVR: 0

Love the idea of a RTTS discussion thread! Was about to start mine up sometime today, going to be a typical high batting/low defense LF/1B. Might force myself to a NL team though so I can’t just straight up ignore his defensive stats and settle for DH.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »