Home

Top Spin 4 Demo Impressions Roundtable

This is a discussion on Top Spin 4 Demo Impressions Roundtable within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Top Spin 4 Demo Impressions Roundtable

Chase Becotte:
I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm until I see what happens with the effectiveness of just juicing your created player with power, but it's hard not to be really excited after playing this demo. Everything from a more lively crowd at the U.S. Open -- when I played the game at a preview event, the crowd seemed even more lively than the one found in the demo -- to the player grunts to the tweaked controls are all really working here.

Jayson Young: The crowds definitely sound great with the way they build up during rallies and yell between points, but outside of that, I don't see a whole lot of improvements over Top Spin 3.

Christian McLeod: At the recommendation of my OS staff brethren, I reluctantly downloaded the Top Spin 4 demo. To my surprise, I had a great time with the demo -- so much so that the game may enter my closely guarded sports gaming rotation in a few weeks. Graphically, the game is beautiful, and just as Chase mentioned, my jaw dropped during the first match I played on clay. At times I felt like I was actually controlling a televised tennis match, and the buttery smooth control scheme was pretty easy to pick up and start having success with in a matter of minutes.

Chris Sanner: A few weeks ago someone asked me on Twitter what I thought of the prospects for Top Spin 4. I said I think the game can't possibly be bad, but I'm not sure if it's going to be a can't miss all world title.

I think I was definitely right on that.

Read More - Top Spin 4 Demo Impressions Roundtable
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41
Very nice read guys.

I was truly surprised as to how much I enjoyed the demo. I'm really looking at picking this up when it comes out. Hopefully the online experience is up to par and no game killing bugs or glitches effect a good looking game.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 13
Fun game, but that's about it for me. Still, maybe worth a purchase.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 16
What is it with 2k making their games waaaayyyyyyyy toooooooooo slllooooooooowwwwww.

I just happened to be watching the Tennis network when I came on the site and saw that the demo was available. So I downloaded it. Looking at the speed of a real tennis match and then comparing it to this game and I found it laughable. Jut like NBA2k11. The game just moves way to slow compared to real life.

Then I put in Virtua Tennis 3 to see if the speed difference was that drastic. It is. Virtua Tennis 3 is closer to the real speed of real professional tennis. Especially y when compared to the demo.

I see where the game punishes you if you take the wrong step. Yet if the game was moving at a faster speed I wouldn't have to make the wrong step. It only happened once so it's really not a problem. The speed of the game is. The demo features two of the greatest players of all time and they fell like they are playing with wooden rackets and moving in slow motion.

Looks great but 2k has really got to stop slowing their games down.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
EA Game Changer

KidShowtime's Arena

OVR: 4
These roundtables are great!

Not sure I agree with BlackRome about the slowness... 2K hasn't ever shown THAT much of a slowdown for me.

Nevertheless.. great demo, great roundtable.. can't wait for the game to drop.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Far from perfect

The Bimmer's Arena

I went ahead and pre-ordered the game because of the demo. Nice roundtable also. I find it hard to believe though, and this is from a player of tennis games since Raquet Attack (my favorite all-time) that anyone was getting winners on 2 or 3 stroke rallies on a regular basis against Nadal or Federer on HARD in this demo. If this is the case then I will be interested to hear what happens in the SUPER HARD mode when the full game is released.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
I am not a tennis player nor do I play tennis video games, but I am a sucker for any sports games so I downloaded the demo. I enjoy the game but I don't really understand the difficulty levels. On medium I win every single point, even when playing with Ivanovic against Nadal. On hard I have trouble scoring a single point. This is definitely a game killer for me.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
MVP

Re: Top Spin 4 Demo Impressions Roundtable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac8204
I am not a tennis player nor do I play tennis video games, but I am a sucker for any sports games so I downloaded the demo. I enjoy the game but I don't really understand the difficulty levels. On medium I win every single point, even when playing with Ivanovic against Nadal. On hard I have trouble scoring a single point. This is definitely a game killer for me.
I believe on hard, you really got to understand the game of tennis to win the points. I really like that about the game, and there's not a cheesy way to play. For example you can win in madden by doing screen passes and throwing deep. However, in this game, it feels like a chess match. I heard the difficulties are slightly different in the real game, as each difficulty is slightly harder. So, maybe the retail game's normal will be perfect for you.

Something I just started to do, which may be obvious to some, but try to hit it as deep as you can. I was aiming more towards the sides and short, but just aim it deep, and they make many more errors, which is realistic. So not sure if you were doing what I was doing, but see if that helps. I was down 1-5, and used that approach and came back and won 9-7!!

Last edited by at23steelers; 03-04-2011 at 08:00 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »