Home
News Post

Yikes! Live on National TV! Wish me luck!

ESPNEWS has invited me to represent OperationSports.com on The Pulse this Saturday, July 9th for a segment that will air live between 2:45-3:15p EDT.

We'll be discussing NCAA Football 06 and a little...{br}{br}View the Entire Article{br}

Member Comments
# 61 heelsman22 @ 07/09/05 02:51 PM
Good job, nice sign off but I was hoping for a "you stay classy San Diego"

# 62 choadler @ 07/09/05 02:52 PM
Nice job Shawn. You were very composed. Were you nervous throughout or did you settle down?

# 63 RoyalBoyle78 @ 07/09/05 02:53 PM
Shawn one hell of a job, you looked more relaxed then the guy asking the questions, anyway great job man

# 64 NYJets @ 07/09/05 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
Oh, a "Matt" from Stafford, CT sent in an email wondering which next-gen system would be better, the Xbox 360 or PS3.
Oh, lol, no not me. I actually live in Stratford. Stafford is a different town.

# 65 Acid @ 07/09/05 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
Oh, lol, no not me. I actually live in Stratford. Stafford is a different town.
Ah, they were close enough.

I was hoping to see an email from Tyler/Ellen from Memphis.

# 66 Steve_OS @ 07/09/05 02:54 PM
Great job Shawn, you looked cool as a cat!

# 67 Sully @ 07/09/05 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Great job Shawn, you looked cool as a cat!

# 68 NYJets @ 07/09/05 03:02 PM
Someone get this up online.

# 69 slickdtc @ 07/09/05 03:16 PM
That was pretty good. Basically just getting the core information out to the masses. Dari Nowkah is actually one of the better anchors for the show.

# 70 pb4201 @ 07/09/05 03:18 PM
Anybody gonna get this up on the site??? I missed it was painting the bedroom...darn it!!

# 71 Jucyfruit123 @ 07/09/05 03:29 PM
I just happened to catch it.

Didnt even know it was him until they took emails and i seen the name at the top. (im a newb lol)

Glad i watch the pulse before work.

# 72 HardwoodHeisman @ 07/09/05 04:20 PM
Great job man. You definitley had me smiling........

# 73 aholbert32 @ 07/09/05 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4201
Anybody gonna get this up on the site??? I missed it was painting the bedroom...darn it!!
We would have to get permission from ESPN to show it on the site and I doubt hey will give us permission.

# 74 fossen @ 07/09/05 05:03 PM
Great job Shawn!!!

# 75 Brandwin @ 07/09/05 06:13 PM
Hope I can see it somewhere..=/

# 76 TheMatrix31 @ 07/09/05 06:17 PM
Me too.

AHolbert......what process would we have to go through to ask ESPN to let us host it on our site?

# 77 aholbert32 @ 07/09/05 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Me too.

AHolbert......what process would we have to go through to ask ESPN to let us host it on our site?
I think its similar to how it works at the Discovery Channel where I work. We would have to contact their legal department and depending on the length of the clip, the content of the clip and the network's policy. Discovery would probably let a website use the clip as long as it was a respected website. I hear ESPN's procedures are alot stricter though. I could be wrong though.

# 78 sdrotar @ 07/09/05 07:52 PM
Thanks, everyone - that was nuts. Live TV is insane...

I showed up at the ESPNZone 20 minutes before my call. I was planning to go over my fact sheets and prep so I wouldn't trip over anything. As I walk in the front doors, the show is on, and I hear over the speakers, "and in our next segment, we're talking video games" or something like that. I looked down at my watch as I hopped on the escalator and was thoroughly confused. Soon as I got to the top, a woman came up to me and asked, "are you the games expert for The Pulse?" - probably not a tough guess as it's Saturday in Colorado (it's a very casual state, and people in ties on Saturdays stick out like a sore thumb). Plus, it was 95 degrees today and I was carrying my portfolio... so it wasn't exactly a stretch.

Anyway, she says in a breathless rush that their last guest skipped out, so they wanted to get me on immediately. Within about 3 minutes, they wired me up, and I was on.

I'm in front of the video wall (if you've ever been to an ESPNZone, the entire restaurant is angled to look at this wall) on a raised stage, with two huge lights about 30 inches from my face. I don't have a monitor (I haven't seen it yet, so I have no idea what the fellow I was talking to looked like); just the earpiece - which was too big and kept falling out, but we had no time to find a smaller one - and the camera to look into. There are two guys in the booth, one sound man, one cameraman and one director all wedged around me, and I hear the host talking in my headset.

Now I can't really see it, but there's a slight reflection in some glass around the bar that shows me that all the TV's got tuned to the interview (including the huge 20-foot one), and I'm happy I have the lights to blind me from the two hundred people or so in there staring at me...

Anyway, it was challenging. Like I said, I haven't seen it yet, so I hope I didn't stumble over too many things. It was a little tough to hear the host and odd to have to look into the camera at nothing while it feels like I'm talking on the phone.
It was an interesting and exciting experience, if a little disconcerting. Doing all of it on the fly gives you a new respect for those on-the-spot reporters.

I hope it made ESPN happy - I'd love to come back and do it again. I hope everyone enjoyed it and I represented the site well. Thanks for being so supportive!

# 79 LetsGoPitt @ 07/09/05 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I think its similar to how it works at the Discovery Channel where I work. We would have to contact their legal department and depending on the length of the clip, the content of the clip and the network's policy. Discovery would probably let a website use the clip as long as it was a respected website. I hear ESPN's procedures are alot stricter though. I could be wrong though.
Just a hunch, but they might be more flexible since it's one of our guys in the clip. I'd really like to see the segment too!

# 80 aholbert32 @ 07/09/05 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPitt
Just a hunch, but they might be more flexible since it's one of our guys in the clip. I'd really like to see the segment too!
You could be right but with most cases its similar to this situation. A guy from a website appears on a show and the guy wants to use the clip on his site. With that said, I hope that we can put it on the site.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.