Home
News Post

We have just posted our 2005 Operation Sports Year End Awards. A big thanks to Clay Shaver for taking the time to get it all together!
"Welcome to the 2005 Operation Sports Year End Awards. For the 4th consecutive year, the Staff at OperationSports.com is proud to present our picks for the best offerings from the industry this year. This year, “The Stevies” as we like to call them, are being chosen 100% by the dedicated Staff at OS. What does that mean? While some would think it would make for a boring vote from a small group of like-minded contributors, the OS Staff is actually made up of people from all over the country, from all different backgrounds and age groups, with only one common trait – a love for sports gaming."

Member Comments
# 21 Acid @ 01/02/06 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Just for me personally, just can't get into the Splinter Cell games online. They bore me..LOL but as I said, I'm weird.
I could definately see that. It takes getting used to, but it's when you play with people you know (like I used to play with Sully, ZXLT, and Jets). The online co-op was a blast too, I used to play that with my buddy, we actually finished all the co-op missions.

I tried out COD2 online 3 times or so, and I didn't have fun, because I had no idea who I was playing. Only time playing with random people is fun is Halo or Rainbow Six, but only when you have a group of people you in the room as well.

# 22 ExtremeGamer @ 01/02/06 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
I could definately see that. It takes getting used to, but it's when you play with people you know (like I used to play with Sully, ZXLT, and Jets). The online co-op was a blast too, I used to play that with my buddy, we actually finished all the co-op missions.

I tried out COD2 online 3 times or so, and I didn't have fun, because I had no idea who I was playing. Only time playing with random people is fun is Halo or Rainbow Six, but only when you have a group of people you in the room as well.
Yeah, I can see that. But I wasn't looking at the online portion for nonsports game, I was looking at the whole package, and the single player mode in COD2 is amazing, especially in 5.1 surround sound. The game has you white knuckles almost the whole way, just an amazing videogame experience for me.

# 23 Acid @ 01/02/06 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Yeah, I can see that. But I wasn't looking at the online portion for nonsports game, I was looking at the whole package, and the single player mode in COD2 is amazing, especially in 5.1 surround sound. The game has you white knuckles almost the whole way, just an amazing videogame experience for me.
True, I'd take COD2's single player over SC:CT's.

I've never really been into FPS single players, but I finished COD2's very quickly because I couldn't put the game down, LOL.

# 24 Beantown @ 01/02/06 04:40 PM
COD2 online could've been given "Biggest Disappointment"

# 25 Nivek @ 01/02/06 04:52 PM
I thought all of the choices were great, I just thought MLB was a tad bit better then MVP, but it could have gone either way. This year in sports videogames made me realize how much I miss my beloved, NFL 2k series.

# 26 VanCitySportsGuy @ 01/02/06 04:55 PM
My choice for sleeper game of the year is MLB2k5.

Hands down the best presentation ever for a sports game. I also like the gameplay too.

# 27 Behindshadows @ 01/02/06 04:56 PM
Agreed with everything except the vision cone...I hated QB Vision it made Madden worse and difficult to play against friends...

If anything shot-stick or even the new Goalie feature in the 360 version of NHL 2k6 should have one that...

Everything else was right on the mark....

# 28 APD0290 @ 01/02/06 04:56 PM
I would have to put College Hoops ahead of NBA as basketball GOTY and Madden over NCAA for football GOTY. For overall game of the year my choice would be MVP Baseball. I'd also give EA the nod for developer of the year because I really don't care for hockey, and Madden + MVP > NBA + College Hoops.

# 29 RubenDouglas @ 01/02/06 05:28 PM
BOO.

no college hoops? . remember to vote for CH 2k6 in 12 months

# 30 Nivek @ 01/02/06 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
My choice for sleeper game of the year is MLB2k5.

Hands down the best presentation ever for a sports game. I also like the gameplay too.
I agree with the presentation part, but the game was broken.

# 31 Sully @ 01/02/06 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek
I agree with the presentation part, but the game was broken.
Add to that the fact that the 2k MLB series doesn't qualify as a sleeper.

# 32 Beantown @ 01/02/06 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully
Add to that the fact that the 2k MLB series doesn't qualify as a sleeper.
And what do you get? 3rd place in the baseball wars and the exclusive license that does nothing but prevent MVP from repeating.

# 33 dieselboy @ 01/03/06 01:20 AM
I get the feeling that the "Operation Sports Year End Awards" are a fading tradition. I mean, in 2003, not only did the posters vote, but there was so many different categories (most anticipated, thread of the year, mod of the year, etc), and even in 2004 posters were still allowed to vote, and it still had some categories that have since been cut (fighting game of the year, reviewer of the year, etc). Now, the '05 awards have been stripped. I guess the awards have strictly became in relation to the main site items and not so much the forums.

I don't know what I'm trying to say. It was just something I always looked foward to reading about, and seeing staff vs. poster choices, as well as the numerous categories that are no longer there, and it seems the synopsis' for the awards were also a lot shorter. Oh well.

But, I would like to applaud Clay for the write ups, as well as the intro and presentation of it all; very well done. Thanks for a great 2005 OS.

# 34 SPTO @ 01/03/06 05:56 AM
Maybe at the end of this year with permission we could have a internal forum awards. I understand why the awards have been stripped to the bare minimum (sp) and i'm not that upset about it because I know OS is trying to present itself as a major player in the sports videogame news market.

Still, one should be thankful for what we got.

# 35 Shaver @ 01/03/06 08:56 AM
Having separate awards for the forums is always an option if someone wants to facilitate it. Believe me when I say those things were not removed in an effort to short change the forums or in some way make the front page more important. To be perfectly honest, part of it was from the experience of the last two years trying to have forum-based award. No one voted for anything more than a month old which really doesn't capture the '...of the Year' part of things. And, to be honest, the campaigning by Posters looked downright silly. Not that one of the best parts of OS is that it is somewhat "silly", we just want to make sure that our "awards" are starting to be taken more seriously in the industry.

Make sense?

# 36 dieselboy @ 01/03/06 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Maybe at the end of this year with permission we could have a internal forum awards. I understand why the awards have been stripped to the bare minimum (sp) and i'm not that upset about it because I know OS is trying to present itself as a major player in the sports videogame news market.

Still, one should be thankful for what we got.
Yeah, it is possible that the posters could do something such as "internal forum awards", but it will now have to wait until next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_OS
Having separate awards for the forums is always an option if someone wants to facilitate it. Believe me when I say those things were not removed in an effort to short change the forums or in some way make the front page more important. To be perfectly honest, part of it was from the experience of the last two years trying to have forum-based award. No one voted for anything more than a month old which really doesn't capture the '...of the Year' part of things. And, to be honest, the campaigning by Posters looked downright silly. Not that one of the best parts of OS is that it is somewhat "silly", we just want to make sure that our "awards" are starting to be taken more seriously in the industry.

Make sense?
Yes, I understand completely. I know the direction OS is trying to take and I agree with everything that is going on, (the changing of the Stevies, the removal of EE, etc.). But, just because I understand it and agree with it, doesn't mean I am not sad to see that part of OS leave. I along with many, many others loved voting on game awards as well as things that go on around the forums.

Don't take this as me not being appreciative of the forums, nor the work that was taken to collaborate everything for the Stevies. It is just a change that I and others will indefinately get used to.

# 37 Shaver @ 01/03/06 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy
Yes, I understand completely. I know the direction OS is trying to take and I agree with everything that is going on, (the changing of the Stevies, the removal of EE, etc.). But, just because I understand it and agree with it, doesn't mean I am not sad to see that part of OS leave. I along with many, many others loved voting on game awards as well as things that go on around the forums.

Don't take this as me not being appreciative of the forums, nor the work that was taken to collaborate everything for the Stevies. It is just a change that I and others will indefinately get used to.
So, why not have a vote now? You've all seen the categories. I'm sure Mr. Sullivan could be convinced to open up a sub-forum somewhere. Someone can just open a thread for each category and vote away. You can even add more specific forum ones or old categories that we have stopped using.

Someone just needs to take the reigns.

# 38 dieselboy @ 01/03/06 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_OS
So, why not have a vote now? You've all seen the categories. I'm sure Mr. Sullivan could be convinced to open up a sub-forum somewhere. Someone can just open a thread for each category and vote away. You can even add more specific forum ones or old categories that we have stopped using.

Someone just needs to take the reigns.
Ya, I guess...

But I think the luster of voting and what not may have warn off now that the staff awards are already out, ya know? It would of been different if they were both released around the same time... I don't know, maybe.

# 39 Beantown @ 01/03/06 01:23 PM
Hell, if a sub-forum was opened up, I probably have enough time to try and put together a good few polls, and I'd even do a write-up, which would be no-where near Clay's, but I'd try and do it, I got enough time I believe.

# 40 Shaver @ 01/03/06 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy
Ya, I guess...

But I think the luster of voting and what not may have warn off now that the staff awards are already out, ya know? It would of been different if they were both released around the same time... I don't know, maybe.
Pssst... the awards were released yesterday... anytime in the next 10-15 days is "around the same time".

It doesn't matter... whatever you want to do.... just, for the love of GOD, don't start crying!!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.