Home
News Post

The official NHL 09 blog has posted a patch update for NHL 09.

Quote:
"We are in the process of putting the patches up for both the X360 and the PS3. PS3 Europe has already gone up, and PS3 North America and both X360 patches should be up within the next week or two.

First and foremost we have fixed the "dirty disc" message issue that some people are seeing on the X360.

For the PS3, we have fixed the issue where there are sometimes white flashes or flickers during gameplay. So, if you have seen one of the above, you will be happy to know they are fixed with the patch.

For most people though...the important fixes are in gameplay.
We have listened to all of you, and we have played the game ourselves every day. While we couldn't make every fix that you asked for because of time constraints, we did fix most of the big issues, and also improved gameplay to be more authentic."

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 [Icy] @ 10/31/08 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBYCFOTA
For the PS3 users who have the patch, are all shots less accurate or just the specific wrist shot that produced the cheese goals? I have a hard time believing they found a way to tone down this specific shot without toning down all wrist shots or shots in general. I won't mind either way, I do think there should be a good amount more aiming skill required to put a wrist shot from outside the circle to the top opposite shelf every time. I also agree that the goalies should be "dumbed down" in that they should let in more goals. I'm sure it's tough for EA to create a good balance between a goalie that isn't too exploitable and one that is too hard to score on. I'd rather have the latter than the former, though, personally.
The patch tuned down shoot accuracy for all shots, not only the glitched ones. The main difference is aiming. For example, before the patch, aiming with the right stick all the way to the top right, would make you shoot to the net top right corner like a guided missile, if you do the same now, the shoot will miss the net and will go far right. To avoid that, you need to learn to aim and to not just move the right stick all the way to one side, but a bit more or less depending on where you want your shot to go. Let's say the patch made manual aiming even more manual, where you need to be more precise with your right stick moves.

The patch also makes aiming while turning harder than when standing, and this change i what makes the old drag glitch shoot harder to perform.

Overall i'm seeing less scoring games in online EASHL, more games ending 1-0, 2-1 etc, but it all feels more realistic, as not everybody is an accurate sniper now. I'm so happy with the changes, the only thing mssing is more garbage goals and weird rebounds allowed from the goalies, but I guess that was not easy to fix with a patch.

# 42 wyldechylde77 @ 10/31/08 05:03 AM
I'm actually very happy with the patch. I am enjoying the fact that the CPU now takes penalties more frequently, and I have also noticed that because of this the stick lift appears to have been toned down. With the way I have the sliders configured (I forgot whose sliders I used) wwith a slight tweak here and there, mainly on Game Speed and player acceleration, I am having a very enjoyable experience now. Feels like a hockey game!! I also like that the goalies are still tough but not impossible to beat. I've seen some phenominal saves. Good job, EA.

Now, if only the code for the alternate jerseys would come out!!!!

# 43 weedmanus @ 10/31/08 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR360
Like Dave374 I prefer to fire a slap shot around the board for a dump in. That said I think the height on the flip dump does help your winger get to the puck more often before the defense can get full control of it.

The flip dumps are noticeably higher and you do see the CPU flip the puck over the glass more often on the penalty kill (either because they have to kill more penalties or because they are flipping the puck higher, I'm not sure -- probably both).

The patch comments also said that you can't flip the puck on the net any more (which you'd occasionally find cheeser trying to score with online because the goalie has trouble with them) and this seems to work.
The higher puck dump was intended for clearing your own zone!!
I remember trying to clear the puck pre-patch & it always got snagged
by the opposing teams defence @ my blueline!! It works great now!!
Awesome patch...it seems the players skating physics has been
tweaked for the better as well!!

# 44 Splitter77 @ 10/31/08 09:38 AM
i love the patch.
best results for me is having shot power at max and shot accuracy at 1
having amazing games now.

# 45 Steven547 @ 10/31/08 10:35 AM
What diff level you playing at? Are you seeing many goals or realistic amounts?

# 46 Splitter77 @ 10/31/08 10:40 AM
i play on all-star.
games are usually 3-1 4-2 scores
i play 8 min periods.
as long as shot power is maxed, you get realistic goals and goal amounts.
the goalies were improved in the patch- they stop the cross crease one-timers alot better now.

# 47 Roscosuper II @ 10/31/08 11:35 AM
Anybody here playing on superstar post-patch? If so, has it cured the "wherever whenever" cpu goals? Is it more of a hockey game now?

# 48 mercalnd @ 10/31/08 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosuper II
Anybody here playing on superstar post-patch? If so, has it cured the "wherever whenever" cpu goals? Is it more of a hockey game now?
I am playing superstar/default sliders. I've only played 2 games post patch but I did not see any weak/cheap goals from the CPU. It's a small sample, and there were games without weak goals before the patch but I usually had 1-3 of those goals in each game pre-patch and I certainly don't recall having 2 straight games without them. So I'm optimistic.

# 49 MattyAction @ 10/31/08 03:21 PM
hey Guys.
Can anyone confirm that the goalies going into split saves and pads stacked for no reason has been toned down a little bit?? It seems like if youre anywhere near the crease off of an angle the goalie stacks his pads and on a cross ice pass, goalie go into split mode for no apparent reason. I really hope this is tweaked. Thanks in advance.

# 50 ohyeahbaby123 @ 10/31/08 05:36 PM
How's the neutral zone AI? Better? Worse?

# 51 7up3345 @ 10/31/08 05:49 PM
Im confused, so the ps3 has the patch and the 360 doesnt?

Also may sound like a dumb question but i only have the live silver account, can i still get the patch when it comes out for 360?

# 52 ohyeahbaby123 @ 10/31/08 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up3345
Im confused, so the ps3 has the patch and the 360 doesnt?

Also may sound like a dumb question but i only have the live silver account, can i still get the patch when it comes out for 360?

The 360 doesn't have it yet.

and yeah the Patches are free (Silver can get the patch).

# 53 7up3345 @ 10/31/08 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahbaby123
The 360 doesn't have it yet.

and yeah the Patches are free (Silver can get the patch).
kk sweet. cant wait now haha

# 54 StormJH1 @ 11/03/08 03:14 PM
Alright, I was wondering what everyone is talking about. I guess I'm just not used to PS3 actually getting a patch released before 360 does, haha.

If nothing else, I hope it resolves the fact that you NEVER get penalties called on the other team. Seriously, I've played 40 games of a Dynasty on Pro, and I think I've had 4 power plays...how is that even possible?

# 55 mgraham @ 11/03/08 04:22 PM
by what I read....the patch will give 4-10 PP's a game...I am waiting for the 360 patch to be put up

# 56 7up3345 @ 11/03/08 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraham
by what I read....the patch will give 4-10 PP's a game...I am waiting for the 360 patch to be put up
Same. I guess we gotta just be patient

# 57 Darkleaf @ 11/03/08 06:59 PM
Just finished a few games after getting the patch and wow! I am enjoying this game more than ever now. First game I had 6 PP's, I lost but what a great game.

# 58 MattyAction @ 11/03/08 07:47 PM
I dont get why people are having such a hard time drawing penalties. (Even pre-patch) I'm usually good for about 3 or 4 power plays a game on 8 minute games on all star. It seems to me that people who arent drawing penalties are the ones firing wristers and one timers as soon as you cross the blue line.(giving up possesion of the puck) I try to work the puck deep, shield the puck, protect the puck and drive to the net as much as possible. If you work the puck around and put the cpu in bad positions, they usually commit lazy penalties. I really cant believe how many people dont get penalties called. I just find it weird, because Ive never had too many problems with this.

# 59 Splitter77 @ 11/03/08 09:10 PM
the goalies are too good post patch.
alot of you 360 guys arent gonna like that.
the goal variety isnt as good as pre patch

# 60 akula89 @ 11/03/08 11:14 PM
are you sure its the goalies that are better? more likely, it's the increased sensitivity on shot aim.. same end result however, I suppose. sadly EASHL games are 1-0, 2-1, 2-0 PRE PATCH.
this could get ugly!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.