Home
News Post

The San Diego Studios sent us this press release on their first Community Initiative at their Studio. They have launched a Community Leaders Program and have listed their first roster of Community Leaders. Have any questions? Ask them here, Ramone will be around later to answer them.

Quote:
"Hi all! My name is Ramone Russell and I’m the Community Manager for the San Diego Studios. Some of you may remember me as the screen name RUSSELL05 on various forums from the past couple of years. Today we are happy to announce the first Comprehensive Community Imitative at the San Diego Studios for MLB The Show franchise. The main purpose of this program is to improve, overhaul and grow the developer/community relationship. This Initiative was built from scratch. Back in July we started at the ground level and over the past four months we looked at where other Community Initiatives have succeeded and failed. Our goal is to create something new, fresh, and extremely structured in order to make things you have yet to experience possible.

First, we would like to release our developer mission statement to the public so that the purpose of our Community Initiative is clear."

MLB '08: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB '08: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB '08: The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 97 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 scooteristkai @ 11/14/08 06:05 AM
Man i am so glad I got a PS3 and The Show and being part of this great community makes me even more proud. These guys chosen are the most deserving guys IMO.

I bet that such a community/developer relationship is nowhere else to be found!

# 22 PsychoBulk @ 11/14/08 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Honestly.....if this means that "we have the ear" of SCEA more than anyone else.....that I will bring the concerns/ideas of EVERYONE to them as best I can.
As a matter of fact....my own facets would probably get less "campaigning" because I would feel obligated to get everyone else's ideas in there.
Don't worry....we will ALL have the back of the O.S. MLB community.

M.K.
Knight165
Absolutely.

I can only echo what Knight says, its a great privilege SCEA has given us folks here (not just us chosen, but the whole of OS) in being able to help shape the great game we all know and love into something even better.

As Knight said, we are here to convey all of the concerns/issues/good ideas, anything really to the Dev team, there is and will be no favouritism to only "our" ideas, far from it.

I think i speak for all the other Community Leaders when i say we'll try our absolute best to work closely with SCEA to improve and better this game for us all.

# 23 scooteristkai @ 11/14/08 06:50 AM
I´d like to know if you, the Community Leaders, will be allowed to share the progress of the development with us OS´ers?

# 24 asu666 @ 11/14/08 10:28 AM
The wait for MLB 09 is killing me. I stopped playing MLB 08 a few months ago because I plan to sink some serious hours into MLB 09 and I wanted to get a serious jonesing going on. In the words of the exiting President, "Mission Accomplished."

# 25 dtigers63 @ 11/14/08 01:49 PM
I feel really good about that list of community leaders. Some of the best and most knowledgable posters of any gaming message board out there.

# 26 Knight165 @ 11/14/08 01:58 PM
Like I said before...right now I know as much(or as little ) as anyone else...but I'm going to guess that capa is right...this years game(09) is probably pretty much set.
I'd say that when 09 is released, and we see what we get....it'll be then that we will really get this into swing and get the feedback from here to the guys at SCEA.

I think this is going to be a GREAT thing for us.

M.K.
Knight165

# 27 Russell_SCEA @ 11/14/08 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Like I said before...right now I know as much(or as little ) as anyone else...but I'm going to guess that capa is right...this years game(09) is probably pretty much set.
I'd say that when 09 is released, and we see what we get....it'll be then that we will really get this into swing and get the feedback from here to the guys at SCEA.

I think this is going to be a GREAT thing for us.

M.K.
Knight165

You are 150% correct

# 28 Pared @ 11/14/08 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
mlblover15, ericjwm, Psychobulk, jim416, nemesis04, Rod_Carew29, Knight165, Pared and Pastapadre
We all get a position on the field. I got dibs at Shortstop.

# 29 nemesis04 @ 11/14/08 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
We all get a position on the field. I got dibs at Shortstop.
LOL, I have first base then!

# 30 Shakedowncapo @ 11/15/08 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjwm
Are you kidding me?
The accuracy of the batting & pitching animations have been one of my main concerns for years now. Chris & the rest of the Sony mocap team have done a pretty great job in the past, but its time for them to take it to another level. I'm confident that 09 will be a step in the right direction.... no worries here.
ah, you know what eric? I got you and MLBLover confused(don't ask how...lol) I know you're on the same page as me with stances and pitching mo-cap. Good stuff! Can't wait to see some stuff late next month.

# 31 Cubfan @ 11/15/08 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Due to the number of pms I'm getting and some of the reply's in this thread let me clarify a couple of things.

mlblover15, ericjwm, Psychobulk, jim416, nemesis04, Rod_Carew29, Knight165, Pared and Pastapadre

Are the Community Leaders for MLB The Show for the foreseeable future. We may add one or two people before March, but It's not something I would bank on.

Everyone of the guys listed above fits the criteria we talked about in the press release. Which is why they are your representatives. They have been a tremendous help the team over the years and we are really exited to have all of them on board.

Also I'm not the one you need to convince or ask to get into the program. The next person or group of people that are added to the roster will be picked by you (the community) not us.

Our intentions is for the program to run and operate as organically as possible. We won't step in as "Big Brother" unless it's absolutely necessary. If you know of someone who might not be on our radar or who's at another site please by all means pm me.

I hope that clears some things up. If you have any other questions ask away.
All the right people have been picked to represent OS as it concerns MLB The Show. I will be very jealous of you guys if you are invited out to San Diego to check out 09 The Show.

# 32 Pared @ 11/15/08 11:03 AM
Guys,

I wouldn't expect much from the program this year. I can guarantee you everything in the game is pretty much set at this point and the work is being done.

Next year is the year you might see an impact.

But one of the most important things people need to remember is this: We are only there to give our feedback and suggestions. If the staff do not take our comments/info/concerns to heart, there's not much else we're going to be able to do.

With THAT said, I believe that they will take our comments to heart and you will see a difference. This opens the door considerably for consumer-developer interaction, something I've pushed for many years.

Exciting time to be a baseball... and The Show... fan.

# 33 Skyboxer @ 11/15/08 11:34 AM
I'd love to donate anything baseball to the group but I'm probably overly critical of my baseball games...
Any way I could help though I would. Of all the sports, baseball is my "religion"

# 34 green94 @ 11/15/08 11:40 AM
Might not be a bad idea to include Razr to this list. I believe there was another person he worked with to edit the stances in the Knight Roster. They both did a fantastic job.

# 35 DodgerFanatic2K3 @ 11/15/08 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjwm
Are you kidding me?
The accuracy of the batting & pitching animations have been one of my main concerns for years now. Chris & the rest of the Sony mocap team have done a pretty great job in the past, but its time for them to take it to another level. I'm confident that 09 will be a step in the right direction.... no worries here.
Good.... hopefully you guys can also pitch the idea to totally scrap the way that difficulty levels are constructed in this game

They need to take a page from ASB and the 2K series and totally re-write the code to make the difficulty level setting only effect the computers A.I. and not have anything to do with the "batting style" your comfortable using

I'm confident that this and other glaring issues like

* No real full control manual fielding

* Non or rare triggering catch animations when fielders are moving sideways

* Ability to have another fielder pick up the ball after it's deflected off your glove

* Rarely triggered head first or hook slides at home plate in critical situations when using auto base running

will all be addressed and fixed for MLB '10

# 36 GTjeff519 @ 11/15/08 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sask3m
so what exactly is the difference between this and listing bugs etc. in the forum, seems to me if scea comes here and reads the forums they see all this anyways.
i have to agree with sask3m on this.
also, the people that have been selected have a great feel for the game. they have actively participated in making a great game even better. ie. rosters, fixes, work arounds, caps, etc.
i'm sure they have a good idea about what needs to be fixed/improved and lets hope their voices are heard.

# 37 nemesis04 @ 11/16/08 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTjeff519
i have to agree with sask3m on this.
also, the people that have been selected have a great feel for the game. they have actively participated in making a great game even better. ie. rosters, fixes, work arounds, caps, etc.
i'm sure they have a good idea about what needs to be fixed/improved and lets hope their voices are heard.
From what I understand so far, SCEA has something different in store for us than your typical Community program where feedback is only the main goal. As far as what exactly it is, we do not know yet! Stay tuned!

# 38 mlblover15 @ 11/16/08 09:34 PM
well i just want to say that im shocked to be on the list of leaders. i honestly would have never expected myself to be included on said list. It is a deep honor to have been named to this team of gamers that they have given us.

i know my concerns for the game are a totally different than what most of you are looking at, but ive never been too critical of stances and windups etc, due to not really memorizing each players stance and windup, however i know and understand where a great many of you feel that is more important than ANYTHING that i have listed on here and im def NOT saying that any is more important than the other cause for each of us our own concerns are impoortant due to our own passions for the game.

i would never allow my own desires for this game to outwieigh the communities. we are a family here and have to work together and do the best for the over all development of the game as a whole.

now would we all like to see everytihng we have ever asked, prayed and dreamed for, to be put in this game in one year??? well of course we would, but as i have said over and over in the past, game coding is like walkling through a mine field.

you have no idea how adding part B will affect A and on down the line. thus the no addiiton of player collision dection. it screwed up a totally different part of the game which if memory serves from pm with one of the team a while ago that was MUCH more important that having player collision dection...

we are all here for the same reasons, those being our absolute love, and passion for both the real life game of baseball and our video game of it.

I trust that not just the assigned leaders here at our forum but as a whole that we as a community will do everything we can and within our limited power to do to keep improving and polishing this great game of ours that sony has put out each and every year. will we ever be completely satisfied with it any year no matter what is implamented?? probably not because there will always be one of us that has something more to add to the frey of ideas and that is never a bad thing.

so here is to whatever game will be coming out for 09' and to our collective efforts as a community to make 2010 game even better than that by leaps and bounds.

# 39 Russell_SCEA @ 11/17/08 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sask3m
so what exactly is the difference between this and listing bugs etc. in the forum, seems to me if scea comes here and reads the forums they see all this anyways.

Great question let me get settled in this morning and I will be happy to explain.

# 40 Pared @ 11/17/08 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Davis
It seems as though this comment comes up every year with almost any sports game, I get that maybe in January perhaps this would be true, but I mean I saw uniform changes last year be fixed as late as LATE january for the show, (game came out late Febuary) Pared I dig your posts youre a smart guy and I mean no disrespect its just that it seems false to assume the games all but done at this point.
I'm not assuming without reason. But everyone will believe what they want.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.