Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Gamespy has posted their hands-on preview of Major League Baseball 2K9.

Quote:
"There were a couple more pitching modifications. First, pulling the right trigger will lock the location of your pitch on the screen but still allow you to move your target anywhere in or out of the zone, meaning your opponent won't be able to lock into a specific location. Another change we liked revolved around the men in blue, the ones who usually sport a pot belly and a quick temper. Nobody goes to a baseball game to watch the umpires, and MLB 2K9 looks to feature a more uniform strike zone than before. This should be a nice change, as it's rather frustrating to throw a pitch that looks like a strike and have it called a ball simply because a particular umpire has his own unique strike zone to memorize."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 DaveDQ @ 01/29/09 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneRB
We gotta get this game in the hands of OS pronto...
Not sure why, but that post made me laugh out loud.

# 42 JBH3 @ 01/29/09 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
Everyone online freaks out if you throw a ball anyway so why not just make one huge strike zone.
yea...that's because everyone on-line swings at every pitch.

It's ridiculous.

# 43 Frek21 @ 01/29/09 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
yea...that's because everyone on-line swings at every pitch.

It's ridiculous.
Well last year you had to swing when the ball was being release to make contact and you had no chance of identifying whether the pitch was a ball or strike before you had to swing.

# 44 Frek21 @ 01/29/09 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I hear you. My point though has always been this: Where does this "simulated human error programming" stop? Should game developers start implimenting incorrect safe/out calls on close plays at first base? I watch probably 300 games a year, and I'll bet I see a blown call at first, 2 out of every 3 games. How many gamers would appreciate being cheated out of a win because the AI programming incorrectly called a runner safe or out at first? I'd guess people would be livid, accusing the game of cheating and SCEA of crappy game programming. And remember, blown calls like that are ALSO in the baseball.
Personally I would love that as long as it is not overdone and don't forget that could work in your favor too.

# 45 Trevytrev11 @ 01/29/09 03:49 PM
Easy Fix:

Variable Strike Zone/Umpires:

ON/OFF

ON/OFF

# 46 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/29/09 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
Easy Fix:

ON/OFF

ON/OFF

# 47 SoxFan01605 @ 01/29/09 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
Easy Fix:

ON/OFF

ON/OFF
And we have a winner...

# 48 Frek21 @ 01/29/09 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake62505
I get you, I can see where this could become a problem. I guess I was just kind of perplexed about the content of the review, what i mean is with all the known issues of this game the strike zone is the one that stuck in my mind. I guess I am trying to say that there are so many other things that should have been addressed in the review other than the strikezone. Because if this is a accurate review and if the time was taken to play enough of the game to notice the strikezone and the different umps that were calling each game where is the revelent information?
Just so you know this was not a review it was a preview. What I got from the writer is that 2k came by with a build of the game and let them play it for a while. So these preview are not going to be real indepth.

# 49 Trevytrev11 @ 01/29/09 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
And by the year 2012:

Blown calls at First Base:

ON/OFF

Blown calls at Home Plate:

ON/OFF

Blown calls on Home Runs:

ON/OFF

Incorrect Appeal decisions by 1B/3B umps:

ON/OFF

Unreasonable Ejections of Players and Managers:

ON/OFF
I would have figured you would have had all those toggled to OFF

# 50 JBH3 @ 01/30/09 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frek21
Well last year you had to swing when the ball was being release to make contact and you had no chance of identifying whether the pitch was a ball or strike before you had to swing.
I never once played 2K8 on-line due to the lag.

It was fun on 2K7 though.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.