Home
News Post

EA has just released their NHL 09 patch for 360 users. Please post your impressions here.

Quote:
Exploit fixes:

-Fixes the 99 attribute bug in OTP/EASHL by preventing players from entering games with attributes that are raised beyond the level they can reach with the card they are entitled to have. Players who have elevated their attributes this way should reset their character by changing the type and reassigning their points.
-Limit the size of human goalies in OTP/EASHL games to 6'4" (NOTE: it will still allow them to be set larger, but the actual height in game will not go above the new limit).
-Fixed some problems that could cause the game to hang or go out of sync when pausing.
-Prevent use of LB to get up instantly after being knocked over.
-Reduce accuracy of shooting while using vision control to skate backwards.
-Prevent high, accurate slap shots from in close to the net.

Other changes:

-Reduced the ease of beating the goalie on the short side.
-Decrease the tendency of the goalies to use a desperation save unnecessarily.
-Strict calling of interference, though you can still clear players directly in front of the net without getting called for interference.
-Added stick lift to Classic controls using LB+X(XBox)/L1+Square(PS3). It is also on R3 (press Right Stick).
-Fixed shot targeting using the Always Up control when skating down ice.
-Added new NHL rule to locate face-offs in the attacking zone to start a powerplay.
-Prevent CPU players from getting delay of game penalties frequently while clearing the puck from their zone.
-Prevent puck from being poke checked away from the goalie when he has it covered under his glove.
-Reduced the amount of time it takes to get control of the last man back, holding RT(Xbox) /R2(PS3)
-Reduced the amount of time it takes to get control of the goalie, holding LB+A(Xbox)/L1+X(PS3)
- Reduce the range of heights on randomly generated CPU players, including goalies.
-Eliminate the ability to accelerate and maintain high speed while stick lifting.
-More penalties for high sticking when stick lifts are done from behind the opponent.
-Made the colours of the OTP/EASHL indicators more distinct (yellow and orange).
-Made face-off outcomes slightly more random and slightly less dependent on attributes.
-Added assistance to prevent one-timer and shot attempts from leading to accidental hits and interference penalties.
-Goalie tuning to increase goal-scoring a bit to compensate for taking away the easy short-side high goals.
-Improve hit stat tracking to not count all of the small bumps in front of the net.
-Increased injuries caused by CPU teams.
-Prevent puck from being launched with very high speed following a hit.
-AI tuning for superstar. The Aggression slider now affects how intense the CPU team is on that difficulty level.

NHL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 colly77 @ 03/14/09 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pf8363
its a curve shot fest again. it works even better now. god ea cant you get anything right?
yet to see this. really happy with the patch. thanks again EA!

# 102 ucas005 @ 03/16/09 06:14 PM
Post patch 3 this game is ridiculously good. EA's NHL team really stepped up their game this year.

# 103 123456dan @ 03/17/09 01:41 PM
Yeah our team loses so many games due to people (still) abusing both the curve shot in the slot, and the one where they do a wrist shot right across the goal line that somehow sneaks in every time.

# 104 matt8204 @ 03/17/09 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123456dan
Yeah our team loses so many games due to people (still) abusing both the curve shot in the slot, and the one where they do a wrist shot right across the goal line that somehow sneaks in every time.
It happened to me once last night, but I still won the game. It's possible that it's not always a glitch; sometimes the player just takes a really good shot.

# 105 seasprite @ 03/18/09 09:20 AM
The curve shot is not nearly as accurate or deadly as it was before the first patch came out. It still exist, but not near as bad as it used to. It is pretty easy to defend against if you have halfway decent Dmen

# 106 matt8204 @ 03/18/09 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
The curve shot is not nearly as accurate or deadly as it was before the first patch came out. It still exist, but not near as bad as it used to. It is pretty easy to defend against if you have halfway decent Dmen
Yup. It's also important not to overpursue a player. A lot of guys will take the puck to the corner and hope that the defender will follow him and try to land a big hit. Then he will turn away from the opposing player when he overpursues and have a clear path to the slot for a good scoring chance. Stay disciplined. Let your opponent have the outside shots because they have a much smaller chance of going in. Defend the prime real estate, which is the slot.

# 107 matt8204 @ 03/23/09 02:16 PM
I'm loving this patch. I'm destroying guys who still insist on checking players without the puck and hack/hook/stick lift constantly. Give me all the power plays you want. I beat a kid 5-1 last night with Washington against Chicago and went 4-9 on the power play. It makes it pretty easy to win when your opponent spends half the game trying to kill penalties.

Hooray for real hockey! Cheesers go get @#$^ed! EA, please keep this as the gameplay prototype for 2010, with a few tweaks here and there. This is the way NHL was meant to be played.

# 108 StormJH1 @ 03/24/09 03:43 PM
In lieu of reading through all 100 previous posts, did anyone address whether or not you'll EVER see a human controlled injury in franchise mode? I'm in season 2 of a franchise where I play every game with the Red Wings (probably 120+ games total), and I've NEVER had an injury that cost me multiple games. Very disappointing.

# 109 PaddyOReilly @ 03/26/09 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
In lieu of reading through all 100 previous posts, did anyone address whether or not you'll EVER see a human controlled injury in franchise mode? I'm in season 2 of a franchise where I play every game with the Red Wings (probably 120+ games total), and I've NEVER had an injury that cost me multiple games. Very disappointing.
I have a PS3 but I imagine it's identical; injuries have not notably increased for me in number, however I see more shot blocking injuries. I get them when playing All-Star, though still not nearly enough, but none when playing Pro.

I had stopped my dynasty hoping the patch would address this but now I might just instigate my own system akin to 2K's randomiser and do it manually.

# 110 Gagnon39 @ 03/29/09 11:03 PM
I've never been much of an online gamer. Especially with sports games. But NHL 09 has really got me hooked. I play at least a couple games every night. My online record is 107-38-10. Ever since this patch I have yet to see a true cheezer. I'm sure they still exist but the lack of short-side goals has really made the online game more enjoyable. This is, by far, the best online sports game I've ever played.

# 111 Qb @ 04/03/09 12:35 PM
De-sticky-fying... or something like that.

# 112 GROGtheNailer @ 04/11/09 01:42 PM
Weird question. How does one know they have installed the Xbox 360 patch 2 ? I do not see an area for downloads except for rosters.

Also can someone post notes from patch 1 (assuming there was one here)

# 113 Redshirt_EA @ 04/11/09 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROGtheNailer
Weird question. How does one know they have installed the Xbox 360 patch 2 ? I do not see an area for downloads except for rosters.

Also can someone post notes from patch 1 (assuming there was one here)
The easiest way to tell if you have the patch it to take a penalty in the attacking zone and touch up the puck without letting the other team move up ice. If the face-off is correctly in your zone then you have the 2nd patch. Another easy way to check is to switch to classic controls at try a stick lift with LB+X for XBox or L1+Square for PS3.

Notes for the first patch, from http://games.easports.com/nhl09/blog.jsp:

Quote:
First and foremost we have fixed the "dirty disc" message issue that
some people are seeing on the X360.
For the PS3, we have fixed the issue where there are sometimes white
flashes or flickers during gameplay.
So, if you have seen one of the above, you will be happy to know they
are fixed with the patch.

For most people though...the important fixes are in gameplay.
We have listened to all of you, and we have played the game ourselves
every day. While we couldn't make every fix that you asked for because
of time constraints, we did fix most of the big issues, and also
improved gameplay to be more authentic.

-The jersey on the EASHL side select screen is more visible than
the team logo. This will make it easier for people to see when jersey
colors clash
-Deking controls normal when shooting downscreen with "Always Up"
controls
-Checking has been tuned so you will see less big hits from guys
that aren't traditionally known for hitting
-Less CPU AI one-timers
-Increased the height of dump ins, for a better dump and chase
game.
-No more goals from flip dumps
-Better CPU AI logic near offensive blueline so they don't go
off-sides as much
-CPU goalie will not drag the puck back toward himself in a
shootout
-We have fixed the goals from outside shots that people are
scoring. We have reduced shot accuracy when on the rush and when turning quickly, and from far out. You will now have to be more conservative when shooting on the rush. If you aim all the way to the left or right, your shot will go wide a lot more. Try aiming more towards the middle to hit the net from outside. This fixes the cross goal where you shoot back the other way, and the goal that goes in with the "curve" animation, and a few others. There's a reason NHL players don't shoot from outside on the rush very often. Dumping or trying to set up is a better play unless you have an odd-man situation.
-We reduced the time it took to get control of the goalie by 1/3.
When line changes are set to auto, and a user changes
lines/defense manually between whistles, the line/defensive pair you
asked for will come out (or stay out).
-If you have line changes off in Be a Pro, line change player
chatter will be turned off.
-When using a defenseman in BAP, BAP player won't get stuck on
the bench and will be able to call for change
The EASHL will now go to continuous 5v5 overtime until one team
scores. This way nobody has to sit out, and you get to decide who wins (this is now just like the NHL Play-offs)
-The proper own-goal cut scene will be shown where the player who
scored on himself is upset.
-All cut scenes should now show players sitting in their respective team's bench.
-Increase AI team aggressiveness and the likelihood of them getting called for a penalty on an infraction.
-If Vision Control is pressed, you do not throw a hit when in
front of the attacking net. This helps with rebound shots.
Increase the likelihood of a penalty if the stick hits the body
during a stick lift.
-Reduce the accuracy of shots for penalty shots and shootouts. Aiming for just inside the post is a lot tougher now

# 114 GROGtheNailer @ 04/12/09 09:09 PM
Thanks Muchacho

To get this patch just log into Live I guess eh, it did say this game needed an update so im assuming it was the patch.

# 115 tyler289 @ 04/12/09 10:40 PM
I had a guy score 3 times using a top-shelf, short-side shot from the goalline that seemed like a cheeser/glitch goal, considering he tried it everytime.

Luckily I ended up winning. Online in this game is great. I used to be a dynasty-only guy but playing quick ranked matches is a blast.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.