Home
News Post

Game: Fight Night Round 4Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Fight Night Round 4 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 SageInfinite @ 03/13/09 07:42 PM
Personally I brought up the ref thing half joking, but the fact that we're even talking about having a ref in the ring is just funny, because there should be a ref visually in the ring regardless. I don't care how many years it's been since they haven't had 1, imo they should've had 1 in there from the beginning.

The fact that EA would rather have rippling slow motion skin and sweat droplets instead of a ref is just funny to me. The fact that guys defend it is even funnier.

# 62 bigeastbumrush @ 03/13/09 08:17 PM
Looked kinda stiff to me.

Need actual gameplay footage to decide.

# 63 lamoyou318 @ 03/13/09 08:43 PM
cant wait,been waitin for a boxing game since FNR3,gonna preorder it soon

# 64 Vast @ 03/13/09 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Personally I brought up the ref thing half joking, but the fact that we're even talking about having a ref in the ring is just funny, because there should be a ref visually in the ring regardless. I don't care how many years it's been since they haven't had 1, imo they should've had 1 in there from the beginning.

The fact that EA would rather have rippling slow motion skin and sweat droplets instead of a ref is just funny to me. The fact that guys defend it is even funnier.
Thats your opinion. and i believe your in the minority. Its similar to demanding a chain gang or Referee in football or basketball. Should they visually be in the game? Yeah. Would not being able to see them affect the way the game plays? No.

Im with A. Holbert on this i could give a flying **** if the ref is in the game. I dont watch boxing to watch the ref. I don't play boxing games to see the ref.
The game will have stoppages, the game will have breaks, there will be point deductions, and there will be someone counting for knockdowns.

# 65 lamoyou318 @ 03/13/09 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
Thats your opinion. and i believe your in the minority. Its similar to demanding a chain gang or Referee in football or basketball. Should they visually be in the game? Yeah. Would not being able to see them affect the way the game plays? No.

Im with A. Holbert on this i could give a flying **** if the ref is in the game. I dont watch boxing to watch the ref. I don't play boxing games to see the ref.
The game will have stoppages, the game will have breaks, there will be point deductions, and there will be someone counting for knockdowns.
agree u dont watch boxing to see the ref,why should it matter

# 66 edubbs @ 03/13/09 09:48 PM
I hope they are not using them silly rag doll physics for knockdowns anymore.

The knockdown animations in Rnd3 were goofy looking.

# 67 Gambeino @ 03/13/09 10:30 PM
There needs to be a ref point blank!! Take away the crowds then, fight in arena with no crowds but keep the audio of the crowd, take the corner men out and just listen to the corner man talking without him really being there, we don't need either. Adds realism. It should be in the game, it's apart of boxing.

# 68 lamoyou318 @ 03/13/09 11:15 PM
**** a referee

# 69 SageInfinite @ 03/14/09 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast

We'll just have to agree to disagree. As I said, this shouldn't even be a discussion. We shouldn't have to debate about whether a part of a sport is visually represented, especially with such a ground level thing like refs.

# 70 aholbert32 @ 03/14/09 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
Yo sage don't even bother man. I've seen junkies let go of crack pipes easier than some of these people are wrapped around a game that hasn't even hit the street yet. I'm done with casting my pearls amongst the swine. I'm here to have a legit debate on getting the best boxing experience in a video game possible and cats in here are like ...

when it comes to ea and this game. I just want the best that can be made and will draw upon any past game that had qualities that the next game can use to further itself.
Really? Who the hell is defending EA? People were bashing FN3 to death on this board. I've seen a ton of post bashing the career mode, parrying and gameplay of FN3. People arent defending EA at all on this board.

I'm just not a unrealistic blind *****. The only thing that we have confirmed is 1) there is no ref and 2) the guys who talked to the devs said that EA had legitimate reasons for not adding one. Now if they had a legitimate reason for not adding one, I'm OK with that. Do I think there should be a ref? Yes. Do I give a **** if there is one? No. It doesnt change much for me one way or the other.

If you want to have a legit debate about the best boxing game ever lets act as if small features like a ref are huge factors. For me there are about 15 other features that I care about before we even get to a ref:

• Career mode,
  • Different fighter styles
  • a deep diverse roster
  • smooth animations
  • great graphics
  • multiple arenas
  • deep CAB
  • smart CPU AI
  • better defense system
  • more realistic corner work
  • better commentary
  • presentation
  • better ring entrances

If I thought for a while I'm sure I could think of more. My point is if we were talking about any of those features, I could understand the complaints. You notice that no one disputed people's complaints about some of the punches looking stiff. Why? Because those are legitimate complaints and things that are extremely necessary in a boxing game. My only point is an in ring ref is nice to have but not necessary when it can be done other ways.

# 71 TequILLa @ 03/14/09 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Really? Who the hell is defending EA? People were bashing FN3 to death on this board. I've seen a ton of post bashing the career mode, parrying and gameplay of FN3. People arent defending EA at all on this board.

I'm just not a unrealistic blind *****. The only thing that we have confirmed is 1) there is no ref and 2) the guys who talked to the devs said that EA had legitimate reasons for not adding one. Now if they had a legitimate reason for not adding one, I'm OK with that. Do I think there should be a ref? Yes. Do I give a **** if there is one? No. It doesnt change much for me one way or the other.

If you want to have a legit debate about the best boxing game ever lets act as if small features like a ref are huge factors. For me there are about 15 other features that I care about before we even get to a ref:

• Career mode,
  • Different fighter styles
  • a deep diverse roster
  • smooth animations
  • great graphics
  • multiple arenas
  • deep CAB
  • smart CPU AI
  • better defense system
  • more realistic corner work
  • better commentary
  • presentation
  • better ring entrances

If I thought for a while I'm sure I could think of more. My point is if we were talking about any of those features, I could understand the complaints. You notice that no one disputed people's complaints about some of the punches looking stiff. Why? Because those are legitimate complaints and things that are extremely necessary in a boxing game. My only point is an in ring ref is nice to have but not necessary when it can be done other ways.

Adding a ref is not a feature, it belongs in the sport of boxing. So if the developer are going to mimick the sport then do that. Gambeino made a good point, If they had the crowds noise without the crowd would you be satisfied. Imagine being in Madison Square Gardens with no crowd but on the audio of the crowd. We don't need to see the crowd to box, then since you like good graphics they can beef the boxer models up even more. But the only difference is the ref is involved in the fight. I understand those things you lists are most important to you and that's fine. I feel that the ref is just as important to anything you just listed and that's just my opinion

# 72 Darxide @ 03/14/09 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TequILLa
Adding a ref is not a feature, it belongs in the sport of boxing. So if the developer are going to mimick the sport then do that. Gambeino made a good point, If they had the crowds noise without the crowd would you be satisfied. Imagine being in Madison Square Gardens with no crowd but on the audio of the crowd. We don't need to see the crowd to box, then since you like good graphics they can beef the boxer models up even more. But the only difference is the ref is involved in the fight. I understand those things you lists are most important to you and that's fine. I feel that the ref is just as important to anything you just listed and that's just my opinion
That's not a good comparison since crowd noise doesn't require any kind of compromise from a design standpoint. A ref does. As I stated before, having a ref in the ring would have been nice from an aesthetic standpoint, but the devs felt like having him in there during the action would have caused them to compromise too many other factors that are essential to the core of the game play. The devs said that having a ref in the ring would have directly affected the camera angles, graphics, and physics (that might explain a lot for Prizefighter). It's a good trade-off. Did anyone criticize Madden for not having all of the refs on field? No. Why, because it's not really necessary. If it makes you happy, you can tell yourself that the ref is simply out of the camera view, or that you're seeing the fight from his viewpoint.

I would have loved to see a ref in the ring. Devs said it couldn't happen. And you know what? No one that's played it has said, "Ya know, it's good, but it REALLY needs a ref." Mainly because it's an afterthought once the action starts. Just like a ref in real life.

# 73 aholbert32 @ 03/14/09 06:22 PM
Quote:
I feel that the ref is just as important to anything you just listed and that's just my opinion
Really? So a ref is just as important as Smart CPU AI to you? Different fighter styles? Smooth animations? Well if thats the case you must think Prizefighter is a great game. It had a ref. It didnt have smooth animations, different fighter styles or smart cpu AI but it had a ref. And according to what you said...a ref is just as important to you.

I'll let it go because I made my point. The game doesnt and wont have a ref and it doesnt matter to me. People have reasons for buying games and if the lack of a ref causes people to not buy the game...its no sweat off of my back.

# 74 aholbert32 @ 03/14/09 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darxide
Did anyone criticize Madden for not having all of the refs on field? No. Why, because it's not really necessary

You havent been posting at OS alot because many people complained about the lack of refs in Madden on this board. Thats what people do here. They overreact to any missing feature...no matter how small.

# 75 TequILLa @ 03/14/09 07:09 PM
Quote:
That's not a good comparison since crowd noise doesn't require any kind of compromise from a design standpoint. A ref does. As I stated before, having a ref in the ring would have been nice from an aesthetic standpoint, but the devs felt like having him in there during the action would have caused them to compromise too many other factors that are essential to the core of the game play. The devs said that having a ref in the ring would have directly affected the camera angles, graphics, and physics (that might explain a lot for Prizefighter). It's a good trade-off. Did anyone criticize Madden for not having all of the refs on field? No. Why, because it's not really necessary. If it makes you happy, you can tell yourself that the ref is simply out of the camera view, or that you're seeing the fight from his viewpoint.

I would have loved to see a ref in the ring. Devs said it couldn't happen. And you know what? No one that's played it has said, "Ya know, it's good, but it REALLY needs a ref." Mainly because it's an afterthought once the action starts. Just like a ref in real life.

I complained about the refs in Madden, how can you have it in last generation hardware, now you have state of the art hardware it causes at these problems now. You can have car problems and take your car to Firestone and they can say this is wrong, you need this, that can be don't, are you just gonna to accept that, and they have to be right because they are mechanics. Come on now, don't be gullable

# 76 Darxide @ 03/14/09 07:13 PM
Quote:

You havent been posting at OS alot because many people complained about the lack of refs in Madden on this board. Thats what people do here. They overreact to any missing feature...no matter how small.
Ah, lol, I see.

# 77 Darxide @ 03/14/09 07:17 PM
Quote:
I complained about the refs in Madden, how can you have it in last generation hardware, now you have state of the art hardware it causes at these problems now. You can have car problems and take your car to Firestone and they can say this is wrong, you need this, that can be don't, are you just gonna to accept that, and they have to be right because they are mechanics. Come on now, don't be gullable
It's really a non-issue. If while playing this game, the lack of a ref is a noticable concern, then maybe Prizefighter is a better option. It has a ref... and it also has some of the very same in-ring issues the EA devs wanted to avoid... probably not a coincidence.

# 78 TequILLa @ 03/15/09 06:16 AM
Quote:
It's really a non-issue. If while playing this game, the lack of a ref is a noticable concern, then maybe Prizefighter is a better option. It has a ref... and it also has some of the very same in-ring issues the EA devs wanted to avoid... probably not a coincidence.

Your talking about Prizefighter, made by Venom Studios, published and owned by struggling Take-Two interactive, the same publisher that dropped the College Hoops franchise. They are not in the same financial space as EA, it's like comparing a guppy to a Great White Shark. Heck EA's marketing push for a game like Madden probably cost more then all of the budget behind all of prizefighter. EA is one of the biggest gaming companies in world and very resourceful, they can and have the money to build physics engines for Fight Night from ground up. Don't think EA can't successfully implement a referee and not have problems doing it. We don't know really how long they've been working of Fight Night Round 4. You only can do so much in one year, for one, they are not even using the same engine that round 3 used, and they have twice the number of boxer then round 3, a lot of work goes into trying to get every boxer likenesses implemented, they added a muscluar system on the boxers frames. We are talking about vancover EA here, probably if not the best studio working under the EA sports umbrella, the same studio that took the NHL hockey franchise and make it one the best most realistic sports title, not just hockey and thats saying a lot. They probably were pressed for time putting one in this year and having it run like they wanted to given the physics engine they have running. Don't think for one second it can't be done because THEY TOLD YOU SO. All I know is they need to add a ref in the game and they probably will the next fight night. I'm not trying to sway your opinion or anyones opinion, but in MY MIND in just as important. I would even go as far as to add different refs (real ones) some that let you get away with more clinching then others, some that might stop fights quicker then other. It's apart of boxing

# 79 TequILLa @ 03/15/09 06:24 AM
Quote:
Really? So a ref is just as important as Smart CPU AI to you? Different fighter styles? Smooth animations? Well if thats the case you must think Prizefighter is a great game. It had a ref. It didnt have smooth animations, different fighter styles or smart cpu AI but it had a ref. And according to what you said...a ref is just as important to you.

I'll let it go because I made my point. The game doesnt and wont have a ref and it doesnt matter to me. People have reasons for buying games and if the lack of a ref causes people to not buy the game...its no sweat off of my back.
this is almost comical...no it is....lol funny stuff!

# 80 SHAKYR @ 03/15/09 06:45 AM
Quote:
Your talking about Prizefighter, made by Venom Studios, published and owned by struggling Take-Two interactive, the same publisher that dropped the College Hoops franchise. They are not in the same financial space as EA, it's like comparing a guppy to a Great White Shark. Heck EA's marketing push for a game like Madden probably cost more then all of the budget behind all of prizefighter. EA is one of the biggest gaming companies in world and very resourceful, they can and have the money to build physics engines for Fight Night from ground up. Don't think EA can't successfully implement a referee and not have problems doing it. We don't know really how long they've been working of Fight Night Round 4. You only can do so much in one year, for one, they are not even using the same engine that round 3 used, and they have twice the number of boxer then round 3, a lot of work goes into trying to get every boxer likenesses implemented, they added a muscluar system on the boxers frames. We are talking about vancover EA here, probably if not the best studio working under the EA sports umbrella, the same studio that took the NHL hockey franchise and make it one the best most realistic sports title, not just hockey and thats saying a lot. They probably were pressed for time putting one in this year and having it run like they wanted to given the physics engine they have running. Don't think for one second it can't be done because THEY TOLD YOU SO. All I know is they need to add a ref in the game and they probably will the next fight night. I'm not trying to sway your opinion or anyones opinion, but in MY MIND in just as important. I would even go as far as to add different refs (real ones) some that let you get away with more clinching then others, some that might stop fights quicker then other. It's apart of boxing
I don't want to disrespect you, but you really are starting to sound like a spoiled woman that wants what she wants no matter the circumstances. The producers never told us it couldn't be done. they said, they didn't want to stay stuck or wasting time trying to make something work(referee), while they could be adding and tweaking something else(wishlist stuff). EA has not been working on this game for 4 years like you would be lead to believe.

EA Vancouver is a big company, but everyone there has their own projects. They have teams of producers and developers working on different games. I'm talking from being there and taking a tour around the place. I'm not just assuming what is going on there. One thing I do is ask questions from different people to see if what I was told adds up.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.