Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the latest Madden NFL 10 blog. This one covers player momentum.

Quote:
"Hey Madden fans, it's that time again...time for another weekly blog update! Last week, I shared some of the details around the successes and challenges we've had in trying to create simulation gameplay for Madden NFL 10. To be clear, 'simulation' gameplay isn't new - IMO it's what put EA SPORTS (and Madden) on the map in the early 90's after all.

Well this week we wanted to touch on one of the biggest aspects in creating an NFL sim, and as you might expect, this is also usually most difficult to get to an area where it still 'feels right'. That aspect is Player Momentum. Creating momentum in a football game is typically handled in many different ways, so today I'm going to just touch on one key area (and leave other topics for future weeks)."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Phobia @ 03/17/09 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ARk5
Man I am really not trying to bash Ian and the rest of the guys at work on Madden but really I saw hardly any major difference between the two animatiosn 09 & 10. This is why I still think EA does not get it, really these new animations will make no difference in making madden a more realsitic game and the game we wall want to recreate what we see on sunday. I mean both animations are just HORRID in my humble opinion.

I think the whole problem with the Madden team is that they do not realize Madden NEEDS a complete overhaul in the running machanics to even have these "new" animations matter.

This is what Im supposed to get excited about? boy it is going to another long summer for football gaming. Lets hope NCAA actually comes through.
If madden is more "play calling based" and less twitch A.D.D. flick the stick fest then the short comings of the animations will be a small issue.

If the ON the FIELD play is more real. Then certain issues will be able to be over looked. Hell NFL2k5 Had some terrible running animations with the darn stick in the butt running. But the on the field stuff was so good that it did not matter.

In the end I think the small things like "Player Weight", Bigger difference between players, better acceleration/deceleration, etc. These will make the gameplay better.

# 122 S1ARk5 @ 03/17/09 09:46 AM
I think the problem is that Ian and Co are focusin on the wrong aspect of momentum. When i saw momentum I thought I was going to read about recievers keeping their body in play while going for a pass that has been over thrown, or a big back keeping the momentum of the pile going forward for extra yards, or more realisitic tackles with momentum playing a factor, but what do we see?

Oh a runner taking a few more steps going to the sidelines..LOL... cmon on man, I am not buying what EA is selling so far... all these little improvements if you want to call it that, would be great if the rest of the game was great but give me a break man, this will have no real impact on the gameplay....

# 123 RawRebel @ 03/17/09 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
You know, I didn't notice it at first, but Ian seems to have opened up to something.

This is from a while ago... during a conversation regarding the sprint button and the concept of getting rid of it, which I'm am vehemently against, by the way, he said something to the effect of, "It doesn't matter, everyone just lays on the sprint button anyways." (to which my response is, "well, yeah, that's part of the problem with Madden.")

Anyways, in this blog, in says the following.

Very nice... way to rethink it, Ian. Glad you're open minded like that.

Not saying he still wouldn't ditch the sprint button, but at least he recognized the "everyone laying on sprint button" as not the sprint button's fault, but the fact that it doesn't handicap you like it should.

Part of the game of football- especially the running game- is knowing when to turn on the juice. Lots of backs with all kinds of talent never make it because they're impatient. They wanna hit the jets and go. The use of the sprint button should be a tactical decision on the part of the player, to be used when warranted, but a handicap when misused.
The problem is people hold the sprint button because the blockers never hold blocks long enuff or are too stupid to make a correct read for u to get any positive yardage. Sometimes my fullback runs 5 yards right past a linebacker he was supposed to block.

# 124 roadman @ 03/17/09 09:54 AM
Quote:
I think the problem is that Ian and Co are focusin on the wrong aspect of momentum. When i saw momentum I thought I was going to read about recievers keeping their body in play while going for a pass that has been over thrown, or a big back keeping the momentum of the pile going forward for extra yards, or more realisitic tackles with momentum playing a factor, but what do we see?

Oh a runner taking a few more steps going to the sidelines..LOL... cmon on man, I am not buying what EA is selling so far... all these little improvements if you want to call it that, would be great if the rest of the game was great but give me a break man, this will have no real impact on the gameplay....
Interesting, other games, like MLB or NBA 2k, the little things add up, but I guess because it's Madden, it can't add up.

Wow.

# 125 RGiles36 @ 03/17/09 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Interesting, other games, like MLB or NBA 2k, the little things add up, but I guess because it's Madden, it can't add up.

Wow.
You have to take what that user says with a grain of salt. No offense to him, but I believe he's the same guy that said all of the improvements posted thus far won't really help the gameplay .

# 126 S1ARk5 @ 03/17/09 10:04 AM
Quote:

Wow.
The little things add up with other games because they do the BIG things spot on, or close to it. Do you really think that Madden 10 will have better gameplay because the player takes a few extra steps to get to the sideline? Or the qb now can throw the ball somewhat when getting sacked? or that they re-worked some of the ratings?

Cmon on man, I too want a great football game, but lets not all jump on Ian's you know what because of these little meaningless "improvements", its crazy to think that they will have major impact on gameplay.

# 127 S1ARk5 @ 03/17/09 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
You have to take what that user says with a grain of salt. No offense to him, but I believe he's the same guy that said all of the improvements posted thus far won't really help the gameplay .
Please explain to me how gameplay will be different? If you disagree with me tell me why.

# 128 RGiles36 @ 03/17/09 10:08 AM
Quote:
Please explain to me how gameplay will be different? If you disagree with me tell me why.
How about you first tell me what sort of announcements you're looking for as it relates to gameplay. Since none of these improvements matter, please enlighten me to what would matter.

# 129 roadman @ 03/17/09 10:11 AM
Quote:
The little things add up with other games because they do the BIG things spot on, or close to it. Do you really think that Madden 10 will have better gameplay because the player takes a few extra steps to get to the sideline? Or the qb now can throw the ball somewhat when getting sacked? or that they re-worked some of the ratings?

Cmon on man, I too want a great football game, but lets not all jump on Ian's you know what because of these little meaningless "improvements", its crazy to think that they will have major impact on gameplay.
If you say so, they are all meaningless, so be it.

Who said I was jumping on Ian? Who's talking major impact?

Again, you will need to practice patience till draft day and beyond to see what impact these
"meaningless improvements" have on game play. Why bother even coming in between now and draft day if you feel they are meaningless improvements?

# 130 roadman @ 03/17/09 10:12 AM
Quote:
How about you first tell me what sort of announcements you're looking for as it relates to gameplay. Since none of these improvements matter, please enlighten me to what would matter.
And we all know this won't happen until draft day till release.(Well, most of us)

# 131 S1ARk5 @ 03/17/09 10:13 AM
Quote:
If you say so, they are all meaningless, so be it.

Who said I was jumping on Ian? Who's talking major impact?

Again, you will need to practice patience till draft day and beyond to see what impact these
"meaningless improvements" have on game play. Why bother even coming in between now and draft day if you feel they are meaningless improvements?
I agree with you, we shall wait and see but the reason I am venting now is because I feel we are all going down the same road again with this game. The same road as previous 3 years.

# 132 carnalnirvana @ 03/17/09 10:14 AM
look no one is bashing ian or ganging up on him, its what it is, if it was going to look different he woud have waited or not show it. its progress none the less. oh and please with its early stuff ,the game will be done may and get base touch up from then on. they have been working on this since the day after 09 released.

no one says to disrespect ian, but harsh criticism of anything he posts is allowed once not crossing the line of disrespect. its a forum some people are more gracious than others i personally took it in the spirit it was intended with a grain of salt.

# 133 roadman @ 03/17/09 10:18 AM
Quote:
I agree with you, we shall wait and see but the reason I am venting now is because I feel we are all going down the same road again with this game. The same road as previous 3 years.
It is different, man.

1. There is a whole new team in place, not one person is back from last year.
2. We are receiving information(however small it is) through draft day. The bigger bombs come out after that.

3. We both want a good game of sim football.

I just feel it's preliminary to make any decisions before we see video and what is in store down the road.

# 134 S1ARk5 @ 03/17/09 10:19 AM
Quote:
I would like to see major fluid motions on all players on the field. They react accordingly to the situation. I would like to see db's play better bump and run.

I would like to see better D LINE get some realisitic pressure and swim moves / O-LINE play , pass protecting and run blocking instead of the garbage we have been seeing over the years. I would like to see better catch animations again relevant to the situation ie wide open, double team, 1 on 1, up high, jumping, low... I would like to see better throwing animations from qb's, ...

Defense have better fight for the ball instead of the rediculous hard hit ie see apex video...

Just an overall better AI, play with realistic situations....

I hope all these little "improvements" are leading up to this, we shall wait a see but somehow I feel we are going down the same road...

These were just a few things that popped up.

# 135 S1ARk5 @ 03/17/09 10:21 AM
Quote:
It is different, man.

1. There is a whole new team in place, not one person is back from last year.
2. We are receiving information(however small it is) through draft day. The bigger bombs come out after that.

3. We both want a good game of sim football.

I just feel it's preliminary to make any decisions before we see video and what is in store down the road.

New team yes, well not really Ian still worked on previous next gen madden, but the same things he says now about realism is the same things he said back for Madden 08 so really what are to expect?

# 136 roadman @ 03/17/09 10:33 AM
Quote:
New team yes, well not really Ian still worked on previous next gen madden, but the same things he says now about realism is the same things he said back for Madden 08 so really what are to expect?

That is one thing I will disagree with you on.

He is calling the shots now, not like a few years ago when he was a part of the team.

So, yes, it's still different.

# 137 roadman @ 03/17/09 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
No, my reason for not wanting people to defend Ian is because the more people say it looks great, there pre ordering already, you're doing a great job, the less Him and his guys are gonna go back and tweak it to make it better. And it does need to be tweaked. It can be alot better.
Is that similar to a boss coming up to you while you are in mid project and stating that you are doing a good job? Do you just, all of a sudden, slow down and just tweak the project till the end?

That doesn't make sense.

# 138 Phobia @ 03/17/09 11:09 AM
stark I am just baffled that you don't think the things Ian has been showing will make a difference to gameplay.

I think you are truly miss understanding the relevance of these things he has shown up to now.

# 139 johnprestonevans @ 03/17/09 11:29 AM
Gentlemen. It's only March. I have not heard any news on the stuff I want most in Madden 10 either, but EA has been clear that we wont hear anything "big" until at least the draft. I dont think it's time to panic or say Madden 10 is going to be this or that. Im guarded (because of Madden's presentation ignorance since moving to the Xbox 360) but hopeful because of what i've seen so far from EA in the past couple of months.

I don't think any of us can put together exactly how all these gameplay improvements will add up. But they are clearly moves in the right direction. Ian doesnt need to be posting this stuff, but he does anyway. A lot of posts here feel unappreciative of the extra effort that team is doing - to be a prescence on this forum. Im not an Ian-fanboy by any means, but you have to admit that he has been great in communicating the "sim" mantra - at least from a gameplay perpective so far. Would you rather hear nothing at all? I personally like these "teaser" updates and I really feel the gameplay is going to be much improved as a result of their attention to detail. Still waiting to see what they are doing with presentation, but Im sure that will come.

# 140 drae2 @ 03/17/09 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
No, my reason for not wanting people to defend Ian is because the more people say it looks great, there pre ordering already, you're doing a great job, the less Him and his guys are gonna go back and tweak it to make it better. And it does need to be tweaked. It can be alot better.
I totally disagree. We have to give Ian and his crew a chance. And from what they've shown so far, the few changes they've made all ready makes 010 better than 09. I think we ALL should be very appreciative that Ian, Phil, and the other guys are at least trying to respond to the communities concerns. Just remember the arrogance of David Ortiz, who basically said to the community take it or leave it. And one more thing about these guys, and I think it's the most important thing...Peter Moore. He being formally of Sega Sports. Good thing man, good thing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.