Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Look at Maximum tackle and the suddenness in which the tackler arrives and the wealth of options in this system. The tackler comes to tackle not engage in a line dance. I know I don't know all the features to Pro Tak, when it comes to the actual tackle, but when you see this video, of ESPN NFL 2K5 tackle options you will understand why I critisize the grabbing for grabbing sake.

In 2k5 you could initiate the tackle with a wrap or a hit. I also like which wasn't mentioned in the video, you can choose whether or not you should wrap high or low by flicking the right stick up for high wrap tackle and flicking down for low wrap tackle and the next defender(s) attacks the ball carrier.

I'm not hating, I actually like the idea, I just want it to be aggressive and violent as it should be its a collision sport not contact and racing up to a ball carrier just to hold onto him just for looks, just doesn't look good.

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox/...aximum-Tackle/

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 461 SageInfinite @ 05/13/09 01:39 PM
Also Ian if you pop back in here, can you tell us what are the deciding factors used for when pro tak kicks is? Like others have said every tackle isn't a tug of war. I'd like to know what makes the pro tak animations kick in? I hope it's based on angle and momentum more than ratings. Ratings should play a part as well don't get me wrong, but there are certain situations where guys are just forced to go down.

# 462 icomb1ne @ 05/13/09 02:55 PM
Some nice quotes from Gametrailers...

Quote:
... well EA... its going to take more than that to make me buy the game...
Quote:
iggest change in madden history in terms of a one year jump in gameplay haha and thats why madden sucks every year
Quote:
That fat bastard just called us consumers.Well then mister Dealer stop building this Madden 09 2.0 to something different same deal with some small improvements to none each year.
Quote:
I think it's a bit silly that they used the phrase physics-based in describing new tech and features for a FOOTBALL game. Physics and football? No, really?

On the other hand (my diplomatic side here), I'll concede the fact that these incremental changes are what is possible for a game that comes out annually. There really isn't much time for these guys to really innovate new things because it does take a lot time and effort. So while these improvements are slow to come, I think Madden is moving in the right direction.

Then again, it doesn't help EA in any way that they monopolized the football game market.
Quote:
im guessing this is a joke lol they added one feature.... ummm come on EA, it looks horrible too

Sometimes I wish I could force them to read all the blogs and stuff but....eh Hopefully Aug. 14 impresses the sh!t out of everyone...

# 463 tennesseetitans @ 05/13/09 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Skin tones needs some tweaking. I don't ever recall Maurice Jones-Drew being that light. I've caught some other guys not as dark as they should be, too.
I just hope they bring light skinned back. In Madden 09, Courtland Finnegan is the same skin tone as Nick Harper, and wouldn't have even been recognizable had it not been for his name and number.

Shawne Merriman should have also been a little lighter. The NFL's marquee players should definitely look like themselve.

# 464 Smoke316 @ 05/13/09 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Also Ian if you pop back in here, can you tell us what are the deciding factors used for when pro tak kicks is? Like others have said every tackle isn't a tug of war. I'd like to know what makes the pro tak animations kick in? I hope it's based on angle and momentum more than ratings. Ratings should play a part as well don't get me wrong, but there are certain situations where guys are just forced to go down.
Im thinkin the same thing.. I REALLY dont want to this happen all the time. and i hope it does have a far reaching effect on to other aspects of the game liek they say it would. id also likeo see guys flying around and hitting the pile.. not just hugging and attaching. that must be cool to see as well

# 465 adembroski @ 05/13/09 05:00 PM
Umm... who combined these two utterly unrelated threads?

# 466 Smoke316 @ 05/13/09 05:09 PM
no clue how it got started lol

# 467 adembroski @ 05/13/09 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Good point. I hope they are placed in positions from actual broadcasts as well. None of the create your own camera stuff EA. As good as this game looks, the camera views could take it that much closer to photorealism or make people viewing the game do double takes. This is key EA. Maybe I should bump my post play camera thread again.

Also I hope the frequency of replays seen is consistent with those of an actual broadcast. We need to be immersed. For the button mashers that's why we have the slider. DONT DEPRIVE US PRESENTATION GUYS EA!!!! You've done it for too long.
One of the things I harped on is that this year's halftime/postgame highlights were done from on-field "action cam" type levels. Basically what I said was that the only cameras that should be used for the halftime/post game show are the broadcast and sky cams as they should be used to enhanced the broadcast feel of the game... since we don't watch the game from a broadcast camera, our replays should give us that view to pull us into that.

The low-level action type shots should be used in quarter transitions, the way real broadcasts do those little montages when going to commercial.

# 468 Valdarez @ 05/13/09 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
And sadly you didn't debate a single thing I said (kinda funny though). Just fyi, I was responding to someone else's post.
Yep, same here. It's obvious he hasn't read all of the posts in this thread. He's just lashing out blindly. What talk about the topic and/or post at hand when you can attack the posters?

# 469 mars85042 @ 05/13/09 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
Thanks for the heads up, those tackles do look like they are attacking the ball carrier. This is all I've been saying, I don't mean no harm or hate, just being a squeaky wheel. All my football life pee wee, jr. high school, high school and college, I've been told to hit'em, stick your head in their, not grab, because the grab comes after the hit.

Man i can't read quotes, your picture has me mesmerized. put that in the game Ian, "Approved"!
WOW!!!!!

# 470 Goffs @ 05/13/09 10:35 PM
Quote:
I know Ian says its in tunning the tackling side of pro tak. Now look at the Brandon Jacobs gif the first tackle engages and just grab from the side and holds on and BJ comes to a complete stop. This is what I'm talking about and its clearly visible in the gif.
yeah thats what jumped at me first...the momentum of jacobs shouldve sent that db falling backwards....just no impact to it

# 471 burne @ 05/13/09 11:00 PM
Quote:
I know Ian says its in tunning the tackling side of pro tak. Now look at the Brandon Jacobs gif the first tackle engages and just grab from the side and holds on and BJ comes to a complete stop. This is what I'm talking about and its clearly visible in the gif.
I really can't wait to see what happens when the tuning is done so that initial momentum impacts the momentum of the Pro-Tak tackle once it begins...

I feel like a lot of times when you're watching the animations at full speed something just looks 'off' and you can't really put a finger on it. Then everyone starts breaking down the animations in detail and saying "they need to jostle more" or "they're just hugging" because those are the things that look wrong at first glance.

In my opinion, the majority of that 'off' feeling comes from the instantaneous changes in momentum (i.e. Brandon Jacobs coming to a halt). At full speed, our brain's visual systems are much more able to quickly assess that the momentum change was wrong than to be able to catch errors in the fine intricacies of the animations themselves. Thus, even if they continue to just hug and chop their feet a little bit robotically, I feel that once the momentum is accounted for correctly, it will all of a sudden look and feel a lot more 'right'.

I first noticed this when people complained about the robotic-ness of the run animations. I remembered that the running looked and felt perfectly natural in Madden 04 (which, admittedly, I still play), so I went back and took a look. There's nothing spectacular, or 'cartooned-up', or particularly great about those animations. But when you play the game, the players accelerate and turn with proper momentum and lean, and thus it doesn't set off that flag in your brain that it looks 'robotic'; it feels natural.

So yeah, basically, can't wait 'til the momentum factoring is in. I'm pumped. Also, to the people saying that the animations are the exact same every time once there's a pile of people: Ian has stated that they have basically zero animation variety in the system at the moment and that they're going to drastically expand that before release.

Good job, Madden team.

# 472 KILLAKAVOR @ 05/14/09 07:43 PM
CHECK MY BLOG....NEW MADDEN 10 MAIN MENU SCREEN

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.