Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

Welcome to week #1 of our interview with the Producers of NCAA Football 10. Every week until release, we'll be posting an interview. This week we have Ben Haumiller, designer of NCAA Football 10, answering the questions.

Quote:
Operation Sports: "What kind of defensive gameplay enhancements/tweaks have been implemented into this year's game? What has been done to tone down the wide open gameplay?"

Ben Haumiller: "Here are a few things we’ve done (obviously not everything):
Pursuit Angles, Defensive line tipping passes, Man Coverage has been improved, Press/Release enhancements (from WR/DB interactions), and Adaptive AI all make a really big impact. I should also point out that players in deep zones (depending on zone coverage rating) will be more aggressive in going after passes.

So examples:
• Just taking a speed back and running outside does not equal a score (pursuit angles)
• "Elite" Corners make a bigger impact between the abilities to jam receivers and simply cover better in Man
• Adaptive AI can force you to change up your play calling. I say can because if you are a way better team, all the reaction ratings in the world will not always help the defense
• And just more incompletions in general help defense (tip passes and more realistic misses on passes)"

NCAA Football 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NCAA Football 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 yanks26ngoin @ 05/26/09 03:46 PM
Haha. Wow. Ben=FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, what are we supposed to expect? Most of what the community wants is not in the game, but what the community does not want, like Season Showdown, is in the game! Come on! The game has pretty much been the same game every year since 06, but fluff was added. Wait, the game hasnt been the same stuff. Nope, its been different, but not the good different. The bad, I mean terrible, different. Way to listen to the wants of the community, Tiburon! Your parent company, EA, should be incredibly ashamed and embarrased that you guys are all over the forums, yet, do not listen to the wants of the games consumers. This has been said on the forum many times, and I will say it again, as long as Ben is working on the game, dont expect to see a college football game that mirrors realism. He knows nothing about football. If only NCAA got the NFL Head Coach developers, and not Madden...

# 142 tswiatkowski @ 05/26/09 08:53 PM
You know, I am probably looking past EA's neglect of gameplay improvements because they have brought back, (and improved) Create-A-School. I had plenty of fun tinkering around and playing with the schools I created, and it is something that has been on my mind ever since they removed it from next-gen. I really think they should take a hint from madden and work on gameplay and presentation instead of season showdown.

In its defense, it is an interesting concept, but not what the game needed now.

I want some better gameplay first of all, and next, some better presentation. I want to hear excitement from the color guys in game. I want to be kept up with what is going on in Dynasty Mode, and have maybe a knockoff "College Gameday" show that is telling me what is going on in the world of College Football. In other words, I want to be excited to play the next game! Once they bring back that spirit and fire, this franchise will be great again.

# 143 FredoXV @ 05/28/09 08:09 AM
Wow, a ton of negative backlash on the formation subs.

I do not understand why people are so uptight about this, especially when every formation has a wide variety of package options, which is WAY more realistic. You see college football teams lining up in the same basic formation with different personnel in different locations all of the time. This is done to exploit match-ups and keep the defense guessing.

One other big advantage of the packages themselves the flexibility they offer throughout a dynasty. Personnel changes from year to year, and the different package options all you to move your best players around in creative ways. I think the system is borderline perfect, although I would like to see some "custom package" options in the years to come.

The only real advantage I see in the whole formation subs idea is to exploit one particular match-up or play over and over, which is highly unrealistic anyway.

# 144 rudyjuly2 @ 05/28/09 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil McCombs
The only real advantage I see in the whole formation subs idea is to exploit one particular match-up or play over and over, which is highly unrealistic anyway.
Do you really think the hardcore group here is complaining because they can't cheese or exploit things? Why is it that everyone only thinks about offense when talking about stuff too?

The biggest thing I miss from formation subs was the ability to find snaps for backup linebackers and DL in certain packages. If I had a few good DEs, I'd have run stopping and pass rushing roles and rotate them in certain formations. Is it cheese to put my backup pass rushing 85 DE in the nickel and dime while my 86 rated run stopping DE plays in the 4-3 and goalline?

Some guys like to control who plays in the special teams formations. Rotating in backs can be offset with the packages but they don't handle every situation. Formation subs can be used to cheese by people but most people here wouldn't do that AND it's also EA's responsibility to build in some basic football sense so that people don't put WRs in at QB or TE without penalties.

# 145 moylan1234 @ 05/28/09 11:53 AM
Quote:

I do not understand why people are so uptight about this, especially when every formation has a wide variety of package options, which is WAY more realistic.
not every formation, special teams remain untouched.

# 146 N51_rob @ 05/28/09 12:07 PM
Quote:

I do not understand why people are so uptight about this, especially when every formation has a wide variety of package options, which is WAY more realistic. You see college football teams lining up in the same basic formation with different personnel in different locations all of the time. This is done to exploit match-ups and keep the defense guessing.

Well what about the fact that packages only allow for the 2nd spot on your depth chart. What about the fact that I may have 3 or even 4 RB that I want to use. Meanwhile in the I formation that are 4-6 variations of the formation (3-wide, twins, 2 TE, etc.) and I would like to put one of my 3rd or 4th running backs into one of those formations. Now I havoe to pause the game and go in and alter the depth chart, just for that. Then when I want my #1 RB in the game I have to pause it again and put him back in the depth chart.

Or I have a freshmen QB that is more of a runner than passer (Think Tebow's 1st year) I only want him to handle the ball in shot-gun 2 TE formations, because that is primarily my option formation. But I don't want him as my #2 QB because his throwing isn't good enough yet, and my #2 QB is a better overall player. What do I do? More pauses and shuffling of the depth chart? Fine, I could do that, now add to that that I'm playing agaisnt someone in an online dynasty game, are they suppose to just sit around while I'm fooling with my depth chart every few plays?

# 147 WolverinesFinest @ 05/28/09 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Do you really think the hardcore group here is complaining because they can't cheese or exploit things? Why is it that everyone only thinks about offense when talking about stuff too?

The biggest thing I miss from formation subs was the ability to find snaps for backup linebackers and DL in certain packages. If I had a few good DEs, I'd have run stopping and pass rushing roles and rotate them in certain formations. Is it cheese to put my backup pass rushing 85 DE in the nickel and dime while my 86 rated run stopping DE plays in the 4-3 and goalline?

Some guys like to control who plays in the special teams formations. Rotating in backs can be offset with the packages but they don't handle every situation. Formation subs can be used to cheese by people but most people here wouldn't do that AND it's also EA's responsibility to build in some basic football sense so that people don't put WRs in at QB or TE without penalties.
Almost exactly what I was going to say

# 148 da ThRONe @ 05/28/09 08:36 PM
Anybody surpized by Ben H.? This dude think windsocks improves the presentation.

# 149 JAYMO76 @ 05/29/09 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2

Great minds think alike. Can you imagine if we were designing this game??? Wow!!!

# 150 da ThRONe @ 05/29/09 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake62505
I think the whole reason behind the no formation sub thing is due to "cheeseing" crap.
If they do there job then it wouldnt be a problem.

# 151 Potatoes002 @ 05/29/09 07:56 PM
They should disable formation subs in ranked matches and have an option in online dynasty to use them or not.... For those who think its cheesing and for those that dont

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.