Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Early surprise this Memorial Day! Check out the new Madden NFL 10 blog. This one covers blocking improvements in the running game.

Quote:
"2 weeks back we took a look at some of the improvements we made to our pass blocking in order to make the game more realistic (and fun) overall. I encourage everyone to take a look at it here. This week I wanted to give everyone a deeper look at some of the improvements to run blocking as well. Run blocking is one of the trickiest areas to program and tune just because of the amount of variation that happens in the NFL. Pass blocking is definitely complicated as well, but at some level you’ve got some pretty common concepts that you can follow (i.e. the OL needs to stay between the defender and the QB, the defensive end needs to get up field if he’s not stunting, etc). With run blocking however, there are just so many variations of plays that it can take much more time to get every single concept down pat while still making it a) realistic, b) responsive, and c) fun. At the beginning of the year, when we sat down as a group and looked at some of the areas we wanted to address, we all unanimously agreed that there were a few major areas that we just hadn’t quite emulated as well as we would like to create an authentic NFL sim."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 dman1976 @ 05/26/09 01:36 PM
no helmets popping off is ridiculous. Remember when Witten got his hat ripped off and he was still running anyways, that showed grit and toughness - what is wrong with that.

# 162 dman1976 @ 05/26/09 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
blocking looks great, they really did a great job on all the little things. Love the addition of the flyovers, thats such a nice touch that people wouldnt really think of but adds that realism.

also having the players actually looking up is nice small detail,

# 163 SouthernBrick @ 05/26/09 02:42 PM
I agree with Apex in that video especially about the ability to only do a bull rush move or a finesse just because your known for it. I think we should still have the ability to do both.

It would be nice if you could do a bull rush with the RB button and a finesse move with the right joy stick since I don't think its used for anything on defense anyway. I would like an option and hope were not just stuck with one move.

# 164 bogart69 @ 05/26/09 03:03 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same.. Thats what made me not play 2K... Awful running animations.. But I hear ya on next gen as well.. The running animations can be better.

But at least Ian & Co are listening... We have the right man on the job finally...

# 165 convince @ 05/26/09 09:44 PM
I am not a fan of that the "R-Stick". Now if it was implemented in a way that a "swim move" was down on the "R-Stick" and a "club move" was up and and "spin" wads left on the "R-Stick", well you get the point. I just believe that would actually put the control in the players hands rather than the A.I. deciding what may be best. Is that not taking control away?

# 166 convince @ 05/26/09 09:49 PM
I am not a fan of that new d-line "R-Stick". Now if it was implemented in a way that a "swim move" was down on the "R-Stick" and a "club move" was up and and "spin" was left on the "R-Stick", well you get the point, it would make more sense. I just believe that would actually put the control back into the players hands rather than the A.I. deciding what move may be best. The current implementation in my eyes would be taking control away.

# 167 elgreazy1 @ 05/27/09 07:02 PM
My major concern was the outside blocking on the 2nd video.

[flash=http://www.youtube.com/v/t6xjDrZu6Xw..._embedded&fs=1]width=425 height=344[/flash]

You clearly see at the onset of the play that #66 (Left Guard) "slides" across the LT to get out to the open flats. Is this a clipping or framerate issue that is going to persist in the game or is this something from an early build? I thought the whole purpose of the new Pro-Tak, etc was to eliminate alot of those troublesome animations that led to distinct advantages.

# 168 LBzrule @ 05/27/09 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
My major concern was the outside blocking on the 2nd video.

[flash=http://www.youtube.com/v/t6xjDrZu6Xw..._embedded&fs=1]width=425 height=344[/flash]

You clearly see at the onset of the play that #66 (Left Guard) "slides" across the LT to get out to the open flats. Is this a clipping or framerate issue that is going to persist in the game or is this something from an early build? I thought the whole purpose of the new Pro-Tak, etc was to eliminate alot of those troublesome animations that led to distinct advantages.
This is exactly my concern with respect to my Dline having its own movement. If my Dline does not have the movement based on the command that I give them, just because these guys are sliding in place to block them perfectly, then I'm not going to like that and eventually, it's going to become a problem that could make me put the game down. You can't play defense without some form of run fits and all that sliding BS presents a problem. I don't want to "get lucky" stopping the run. I want to plan against it and carry my plan out and run fits are a part of the plan.

# 169 KILLAKAVOR @ 05/28/09 08:45 AM
I hope this madden will get a rating somewhere in the 9 catagory. The last four years its been 2009= 8.0, 2008=8.5, 2007=7.9, 2006=7.4, I hope this year maddens overall rating will be like a 9.5 or atleast 9.0...I think they have done wonders to the game so far.

# 170 countryboy @ 05/28/09 08:54 AM
can't believe I hadn't checked this out until now. Liking what I'm seeing.

# 171 texbuk84 @ 05/28/09 09:02 AM
good job with the run blocking animations. can't wait to see this in action

# 172 texbuk84 @ 05/28/09 09:08 AM
damn dog did anyone see that hit that was put on clinton portis.(who was that anyway)

# 173 rbowlden @ 05/28/09 12:32 PM
from what i hear it sounds like the pocket that forms isnt what it needs to be, sounds like you can still scramble and throw a 60 yard pass. bummer.

# 174 Niq54 @ 05/28/09 01:42 PM
The new blocking looks good but I wonder about double teams. Users should be able to assign blocking double teams to try to slow down problem players and to make the 3-4 defense work properly in Madden. Nose tackles need to be doubled not blocked solely by the center, while the two 5 techniques DEs get doubled as well. This frees up linebackers which allows blitzing to be so effective.

# 175 tswiatkowski @ 05/28/09 08:33 PM
The improvements that I saw in the video are great. I have always wanted to see the blocking work this way, and they finally did it! I hope they put this in NCAA 2011

# 176 tswiatkowski @ 05/28/09 08:33 PM
Oh yeah, that hit stick looked really good

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.