Home
NHL 10 News Post

EA has sent along a bunch of screenshots and an exclusive developer diary video that details the new Be A GM mode in NHL 10. Hope you all enjoy the video.

NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 shakeable @ 07/17/09 01:55 PM
The EA blog has now been updated.

http://insideblog.easports.com/

# 22 the_decider13 @ 07/17/09 02:43 PM
This game has quickly made itself a "must buy" for me. NHL 09 was one of my favorite games last year, but I wanted to see if I could make it a 2nd year with 09. So far, the changes are just too great for me to pass up on NHL 10.

# 23 Vic1 @ 07/17/09 03:29 PM
Couple questions... wondering if anyone would know.

1. Are there going to be real coaches and can they be hired/fired in Be a GM Mode?

2. If you turn fantasy draft on, will the salary cap come into play? I hope so, it would be a lot of fun to try and build a team under the cap.

# 24 the_decider13 @ 07/17/09 03:50 PM
I imagine that you can control them seperatly, as you can turn the salary cap off in 09 I believe. I'd hope that you could do a fantasy draft with or without the cap.

# 25 Flyermania @ 07/17/09 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1
Couple questions... wondering if anyone would know.

1. Are there going to be real coaches and can they be hired/fired in Be a GM Mode?
No real coaches, but you can be fired/hired in GM Mode.

# 26 Vikes1 @ 07/17/09 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
No real coaches, but you can be fired/hired in GM Mode.
Did you happen to notice Flyer, if there was a on/off option for coach contracts? An off option would be nice for those that may prefer to stay with one team, no matter their record.

# 27 Bruin26 @ 07/17/09 09:46 PM
This looks great. This should really add to the franchise mode and I may sim some games each week just to play more seasons than I already do. Something like every other game or every third game will still be fun to play yet mbe able to speed through the regular season a bit faster. In The Show I basically play one game pers series and that has been a blast so far. A bit frustrating when the team goes on a losing streak, but still feels real and fun.

Anyways, this looks like a great addition and I am for one happy to have the fantasy draft back. I like to use that if I run a franchise with a created team. Would be nice if we see some improvements to that part as well. Especially with how spoiled those of us that play NCAA football are now with Team Builder.

# 28 Perceptor @ 07/18/09 12:17 AM
NHL 10 is a must buy now Woohoo Can't wait to take my beloved Flames to the promised land

# 29 ROCHsmith @ 07/18/09 12:41 AM
Can you be more than one GM/team???

# 30 bcgudely @ 07/18/09 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin26
snip
I like playing til I lose, and then simming 3-5 games, depending on how long I feel like making the season last. I rarely play all 82, but I might be doing that in this years game.

# 31 bigwill33 @ 07/18/09 03:03 AM
I totally hear what you mean, and agree. Unfortunately I am pretty sure you are in a vacuum as you put it. Hopefully over time this will head this way, but we shall see.

# 32 Sanhose4 @ 07/18/09 10:15 AM
I also think that what they are doing is great but there are 2 things that I think should be added.
-->In dynasty mode I think that when you draft players there should be the option to send them back to junior or to a university to get experience there before they have to turn pro. This is a problem because every year if you are drafting 5 players and they are being added to your organization then your minor league affiliate gets crowded with prospects and players. Because of the crowding, you have to start not signing some of your draftees and that means that you are just giving up on a player right after the draft. It shouldn't work this way as in if you don't sign your draftee then they are put in the free agency. This way it is impossible to try and grow late round picks (rd. 4&5) into nhl players. They may have a low overall and it may not be good enough for your ahl team but it doesn't mean that they are just given up on. Some of the great players didn't turn pro right away and they might not have turned out as good. This also goes along with your emotions concept, maybe if a 5th round pick is signed too early (and has low overall) he may not think he is ready and then you are rushing him so that he will not turn out into an nhl player.
--> Another thing is that I think there should be an option on "play now" where you can set your type of game to pre-season, regular season, playoff, or stanley cup game (where the stanley cup is presented at the end of the game). I think that this is a good idea because sometimes you want to play for the stanley cup with your friend that came over and you don't want to go all the way into dynasty to play for the cup. This also means that in order from pre-season, regular season to playoff game the intensity is increased and in playoff games the crowds are chanting "we want the cup" and stuff like that. This makes "play now" not just a regular game.

# 33 Pink Mist @ 07/18/09 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanhose4
I also think that what they are doing is great but there are 2 things that I think should be added.
-->In dynasty mode I think that when you draft players there should be the option to send them back to junior or to a university to get experience there before they have to turn pro. This is a problem because every year if you are drafting 5 players and they are being added to your organization then your minor league affiliate gets crowded with prospects and players. Because of the crowding, you have to start not signing some of your draftees and that means that you are just giving up on a player right after the draft. It shouldn't work this way as in if you don't sign your draftee then they are put in the free agency. This way it is impossible to try and grow late round picks (rd. 4&5) into nhl players. They may have a low overall and it may not be good enough for your ahl team but it doesn't mean that they are just given up on. Some of the great players didn't turn pro right away and they might not have turned out as good. This also goes along with your emotions concept, maybe if a 5th round pick is signed too early (and has low overall) he may not think he is ready and then you are rushing him so that he will not turn out into an nhl player.
This. That's my I love EHM so much, because I have the option for my picks to develop in Junior.

# 34 savoie2006 @ 07/18/09 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
ok I know as a GM I can be hired/fired and change teams and what not... but what about other coaches? Am I only going to be offered contracts to teams that fire their coach (or they retire)... or is it just a random thing where a few teams will make me offers...

the latter really takes away from the realism

what happens when I leave my team? Who takes my place? What about my assistants, can they become head coaches? If so, will they take my "strategies" (aka settings) with them and coach the way I "taught" them to?

I want it to feel like the other coaches exist in this world as much as I do... CH2k8 did this better than anyone else... it felt like the other coaches mattered as much as I did... like I was playing in this other living, breathing world, and I was just one of many people in it... my dream job may be Uconn, but if Calhoun never leaves, i'm not gonna get the job, plain and simple... likewise when you do change schools, recruits sometimes come with you (or if an assistant whos been recruiting for you gets a HC job, he may lure recruits away)... in this case maybe former players that become FA's want to play for you, etc

I don't want to just get offered any random job with no reason behind it... if the NYR job opens up, I want to know why... I want to know what happened, and I want there to be repurcussions... (aka what's going to happen to the former NYR coach now that he's gone, what the players are going to do, etc)

if we dont have any of that... if we are in a vacuum where only what we do matters and theres no rhyme or reason behind job openings, etc, i'm going to be very disappointed
Jesus dude, stick to Eastside Hockey Manager

# 35 mercalnd @ 07/18/09 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYA-MUSTANG86
They need to improve upon Dynasty AI as well. Also the stat engine needs to be revamped. It is unrealistic to only have one starting goaly in the NHL with a save % of higher than .900, and only have something like 6-8 goalies league wide even record a shutout. There are way too few shutouts, and too many players recording 100+ points. Seriously 12 players in one season with over 100 points? That is un freaking heard of. Need to fix.
While you certainly have a point that it hasn't happened recently and thus should probably not happen in the game, it is certainly not unheard of.

Year nb. of player above 100pts
95-96 ------- 12
92-93 ------- 21 (this is not a typo it is 21)
89-90 ------- 13
87-88 ------- 12

It is certainly rare and it hasn't happened in quite a while but I just felt compelled to correct you on the "unheard of" comment. If you are a fairly new fan of the sport you might find it interesting to look at old scoring stats. You would see numbers that would make you scream if the game produced them. Of course the video game should match today's NHL though.

# 36 ROCHsmith @ 07/18/09 02:49 PM
I really want to be able to have a multiplayer "Be a GM" or dynasty mode. For me it's not as much fun playing through a full dynasty with only the cpu. I like to have my brother or friend control another team, it makes for a more fun and challenging experience. 2k has had this every year, however the gameplay blows. I can't understand why EA has so much trouble putting this into their games.

# 37 TDKing @ 07/18/09 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCHsmith
I really want to be able to have a multiplayer "Be a GM" or dynasty mode. For me it's not as much fun playing through a full dynasty with only the cpu. I like to have my brother or friend control another team, it makes for a more fun and challenging experience. 2k has had this every year, however the gameplay blows. I can't understand why EA has so much trouble putting this into their games.
I want this also and want it online too since my brother has moved and lives farther away now. I'm not sure why the don't do multiplayer. Maybe in their warped greedy little minds they think they can sell more copies of the game this way.

Sorry about your dad, smoking took my dad from us also.

# 38 BJNT @ 07/19/09 11:46 PM
Sounds good, but I wonder if you can use a created team in GM Mode. I like to take the Nashville Predators and move them to my hometown of Houston, TX.

# 39 Bolts_26 @ 07/20/09 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
I believe its been confirmed that you can.
Yes, It has been.

# 40 buzzguy @ 07/20/09 12:17 PM
Great GM Mode video! Wheeling and dealing, signing with new teams...my favorite things to do in hockey games, and now they're better then ever!
WANT!!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.