Home
NHL 10 News Post

EA checks in with another NHL 10 blog. This one shows off quite a few videos between the Purple Cobraz and the Regulators.

Quote:
"Last week, two EASHL teams were invited to EA Canada to compete in a best-of-seven game series to determine our first EASHL Champions. Invited were the Purple Cobraz representing the XBOX 360 along with The NHL Regulators representing the PlayStation 3. Both teams earned the right to be in Vancouver after defeating three top teams on their respective consoles in the online portion of the tournament setting up the final that took place last Thursday.

Despite the fact that Purple Cobraz ended up taking the Championship in four straight games and controlled the offensive zone for most of the games, the Regs still managed to keep the scores close. The first two games were played on the Regs home system, the PS3, while games three and four were played on the X360. The difference was not only timely scoring by the PCz, but also some great defense that hindered the Regs from entering the offensive end most of the series.

Huge props should be shown to both teams who showed a lot of respect for each other and through the gamesmanship and friendly trash talking, at the end of each game and the series, both teams showed a great level of respect for the stellar game each brought to Vancouver."

Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Qb @ 08/18/09 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
if they made a mode like that and people quit or disconnected, they could have a really crappy AI player take over. no having the AI take over for your jacked up dangler and have him be 10x more effective than the dweeb who left.
Our team always had fun razzing the guy who was booted when "computer [insert name]" scored later in the game. Computer Scheib, are you out there?

# 22 TheLetterZ @ 08/18/09 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
On a side note, The Purple Cobraz spanked us the only time we played them. We hung with them for a while, but one of our D-men got disconnected and they eventually worked us over to the tune of something like 8-1.

We had an AI goalie (not sure if they did or not, but they had human skaters), so once we were forced to one human D-man, they picked us apart with the cross-crease. I remember a lot frustration on the mics that game, as we couldn't adapt to having that damn AI guy fowling up our D-zone coverage. At that point (shortly after 2nd patch I believe), we had five guys who played together all the time and were playing quite well for about a month stretch post-patch. C'est la vie... (or something, I never took French)
I think I remember that game. We lost a defenseman - I think it was Millennium - near the end of the first period when we were already down by a goal, and after that they just destroyed us with the cross-crease pass.

# 23 kerosene31 @ 08/18/09 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
I think all of the goals were scored from the hash marks in
That, and also almost always from a wide position. The realistic scoring area would of course be the slot, but in the EASHL it was all from the side of the net. Cross crease or picking a corner from an impossible angle.

When playing D in the EASHL, you actually wanted to do the exact opposite of real hockey. You wanted to push the guy towards the middle, because there he wouldn't score.

Once the early cheese goals were patched out, the slot became a dead zone for scoring. People who get the puck in what should be prime scoring areas are passing or circling back.

So many teams just never, ever tried to score from there. Sure, it was possible, but the teams that tried to play real hockey got spanked by teams like this most of the time.

In NHL10 with the D and goalies preventing the cross crease, this should get better, but hopefully all of the side net "weirdness" is gone as well.

# 24 Redshirt_EA @ 08/19/09 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
That, and also almost always from a wide position. The realistic scoring area would of course be the slot, but in the EASHL it was all from the side of the net. Cross crease or picking a corner from an impossible angle.

When playing D in the EASHL, you actually wanted to do the exact opposite of real hockey. You wanted to push the guy towards the middle, because there he wouldn't score.

Once the early cheese goals were patched out, the slot became a dead zone for scoring. People who get the puck in what should be prime scoring areas are passing or circling back.

So many teams just never, ever tried to score from there. Sure, it was possible, but the teams that tried to play real hockey got spanked by teams like this most of the time.

In NHL10 with the D and goalies preventing the cross crease, this should get better, but hopefully all of the side net "weirdness" is gone as well.

Re-watching the recap video, I don't think that they were mostly from out wide. And I should take back the "no point shots" comment, the goal at about 2:00 was from a rebound off a point shot. All in all I'm pretty happy with the style of hockey the two champion teams played.

# 25 bcgudely @ 08/19/09 01:27 AM
I have to agree with the camp that's impressed with how realistic the EASHL championship games looked. Perfect simulations of real hockey? Of course not. However, if you've seen any sports games played at a high level, you'd know that none of them ever represent the real sport. It always degenerates into something completely boring that's all based around some glitch or money play.

I thought that this looked really good for being EA's first try at something as innovative as the EASHL. I'm very surprised at how well it held up at the highest level of play.

# 26 jyoung @ 08/19/09 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
I wanted to up the minimum number of humans for EASHL too, but didn't win that argument. Maybe we need a poll to see what people want. I suspect the majority of responses will agree the number should be higher, the problem is that the stats show that the majority of man-games are played on two man teams.

My interpretation of this is that it is just easier to coordinate to play with just two and a lot of people either don't want to play with strangers or can't be bothered to go out and find more players. Either way I think it'd be better if they were forced to do so, the game is just so much more fun with all human players.
You are 100% correct with your interpretation.

Too bad you lost the argument.

The more human players in the game, the more fun it is overall and the less chances there are for cheesing/glitching.

# 27 Qb @ 08/19/09 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeee
there is no such thing as a glitch goal when you play 6 vs 6..

I play goalie in the EASHL and there is no such thing as me giving up a glitch goal..
For the most part, I agree. I've also been playing in 6v6 only league over the past month or so, and while there are a few quirks in the game -- goalies sticking to post, RB slapper/deflection, crazy backhand goalline passes, etc -- that can be taken advantage of even with all human players, the elimination of AI players/goalies greatly reduces any opportunity for "glitching". On top of that, some of the things that still can be frustrating appear to be remedied in NHL10 -- better goalie controls/animations, less pass assist, better puck physics.

When it comes down to it, playing 6v6 hockey has got to be the best virtual sports experience out there. Can't wait to see what it will be like with the improvements...

# 28 kerosene31 @ 08/19/09 12:23 PM
Hopefully just the better puck physics and more rebounds around the net in 10 will give us a lot more variety in goal scoring.

If players get rewarded for plays like that more, they will actually start using them. Those worked great in 09, but were still too low percentage.

For me, the frustration in 09 was that most other goal scoring opportunities were just too low percentage. My EASHL team was nothing great, but we were ok. We'd generate lots of scoring chances on teams, but get few goals. I imagine this is why so many teams went towards the glitches.

# 29 Qb @ 08/19/09 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
I think I remember that game. We lost a defenseman - I think it was Millennium - near the end of the first period when we were already down by a goal, and after that they just destroyed us with the cross-crease pass.
That sounds about right. I thought that was our original 5-man crew, but it sounds like you, Mill & Skerik were in on the fun. It would have been interesting to see the result if we didn't lose a D-man. I imagine they would have beat us since we didn't get much of anything going offensively -- our only goal was a garbage one in the dying minutes if I remember correctly -- but I bet it would've been a lot closer than 8-1.

The fact that I can remember this much about a 30 minute game of virtual hockey says something. Either I'm the biggest geek around or this can be one hell of a fun game under the right circumstances...

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.