Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

After five long years, we were finally given a next-gen Madden this year. However, there are still flaws and certain things missing that should have been implemented long ago.

So here are five things to change in Madden NFL 11.

Read More - Five Essential Fixes for Madden NFL 11

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 kingkilla56 @ 11/12/09 11:49 AM
I agree 100% they need to see that last pick

# 2 BroMontana82 @ 11/12/09 11:51 AM
you need completely customizable formation subs (within the rules of the game). why can't we even make subs on kickoffs? they also need to fix blocking, sideline catches and animations, and jump balls / fades and how height, and vertical factor into these catches. and for the love of god, please let us throw the ball in the dirt at the receivers feet so we can stay in the pocket and not get intentional grounding.

# 3 TreyIM2 @ 11/12/09 11:52 AM
I can agree with some of these but not sure they would be my top 5. I think a new and/or improved animation engine is my top then better AI would be second. Atmosphere is a possible third for me but I think we can expect that in the next Madden, according to Ian, since he has stated he wanted to do more robust things with the atmosphere in Madden 10 but couldn't get it in like he wanted.

Telecast integration is definitely something I wouldn't mind but it's not essential to me. The could build on what they have and I'd be fine. To me, there are bigger fish to fry in Madden.

Custom playbooks would be cool, too, but not a biggie for me, nor are advanced depth charts and, even, Tom Hammonds. I don't think he is good for the game but, at the same time, after a while, I subconsciously drown out what is being said by commentators in most sports games after I've heard everything they have to say because it just gets repetitive. As long as the chatter is there, I'm good.

# 4 thudias @ 11/12/09 12:19 PM
Or ESPN and NFLN presentation....

# 5 RGiles36 @ 11/12/09 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Or ESPN and NFLN presentation....
Truth.

EA has gotta take a step back here and evaluate their presentation plans. I only say that b/c I just don't feel M10 truly brought home the feeling of watching a game on TV. We got atmosphere for sure, but sometimes they feel like random cutscenes instead of a sequenced broadcast.

I kind of feel like they strived to go above 2K5 and be different, instead of following the blueprint and putting their stamp on it. I'd venture to say that APF feels more like a telecast, in spite of maybe not having as many cutscenes or camera angles as M10.

# 6 JkA3 @ 11/12/09 01:06 PM
Pretty good write up. Of course there are other things...but those listed are musts.

# 7 Speedy @ 11/12/09 01:14 PM
I also agree with the fixes listed but I believe priority #1 is fixing some of the gameplay issues...

1) Run blocking - both for the offensive line where the C/G double teams the DTs and for the defense where it allows the LBs to roam free if it is a good defensive tackle.
2) Pass Rush
3) Accurate DB defense - it's nearly physically impossible to both try to intercept the ball and tackle the receiver at the same time.

# 8 StormJH1 @ 11/12/09 01:21 PM
Telecast integration is more problematic than people assume. EA did have ESPN licensing for several years (and still might). But the reason they didn't turn that into a full ESPN broadcast is because they also have the NFL license, and the NFL has TV relationships with ALL of the major networks. So, EA doesn't want to risk pissing off the NFL (by pissing off their televsion partners) by creating a football game that depicts NFL action only through the lens of an ESPN camera. This has more or less been confirmed by EA reps on this board, and explains why we've seen everything from radio coverage to bland, generic TV coverage in Madden games.

# 9 RGiles36 @ 11/12/09 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
Telecast integration is more problematic than people assume. EA did have ESPN licensing for several years (and still might). But the reason they didn't turn that into a full ESPN broadcast is because they also have the NFL license, and the NFL has TV relationships with ALL of the major networks. So, EA doesn't want to risk pissing off the NFL (by pissing off their televsion partners) by creating a football game that depicts NFL action only through the lens of an ESPN camera. This has more or less been confirmed by EA reps on this board, and explains why we've seen everything from radio coverage to bland, generic TV coverage in Madden games.
That's why some are mentioning to do both the NFL Network and ESPN.

Maybe I misunderstood the devs when they addressed this. I thought the NFL Network simply did not want all of the presentation devoted to ESPN or any other network besides it's own. I didn't get the impression it had anything to do with it's other television partners. I could very well be incorrect though.

To be honest though, I sometimes wonder if the 'dont-want-to-piss-off-the-NFL' thing is overblown. I'm not one of the guys who labels the devs as liars or anything to that extent. I just personally find it hard to believe that a NFL rep was in a Madden planning meeting and said, "Where the hell does the NFL Network come in? Scrap these ESPN and FOX ideas immediately!" And if it is an issue, marry the two networks like NCAA is doing. Easier said than done obviously, just lending my opinions.

P.S. from what I understand, Madden was subjected to bland presentation [read radio guy] because of a design decision, the NFL didn't impact that. Apparently, they wanted to go with a on-the-field feel for the game.

# 10 TreFacTor @ 11/12/09 02:39 PM
My top 5

1-Physics and collision detection. With out these improvements, Madden will continue to have an arcade feel.

2-Better Q & A testing, there's no way that users should ahve been able to find multiple erroneous glitches within the first 15 minutes of play.

3-Presentation, not only should the add to it, but also fix what's currently wrong with it. You should be able to skip any part of the presnetation or cut scenes even the chain gang fmv. Reimplement the manual touchdown celebrations, stadium specific sounds, random weather, basically everything they stripped out from previous versions of the game.

4-keep onine franchise rosters updated

5-add a practice squad, P.U.P. list, and make adjustments for roster spots taken up by IR players!

# 11 poilbrun @ 11/12/09 03:54 PM
My biggest wish is better line play...

# 12 PGaither84 @ 11/12/09 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmegamer
The defensive awareness on All-Madden level is a joke. The AI is still as dumb as ever. The game is still a long way from being a really good Sim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poilbrun
My biggest wish is better line play...
This. Anyone who has read what I have written in the past knows this is just how I feel. The bold even more so.

It is sad that you have to crank the run blocking slider up to 100 to get your players to act less dumb. There is a difference between mistakes, and acting stupid. I can accept miss blocking a blitz, or a defender avoiding/shrugging off a block by a pulling guard, but when players in Madden do what they do it is inexcusable.

# 13 marcoyk @ 11/12/09 05:41 PM
Hahaha replace Tom Hammond. I'm with you on that. Also, I'd like to see better physics with pro-tak. Some NCAA Basketball 10-esque presentation would be great also.

# 14 stlstudios189 @ 11/12/09 05:55 PM
NCAA 10 has raised the bar by far my friends.

# 15 ForeverYoung @ 11/12/09 05:56 PM
... fix the whole roster management:

introduce expanded rosters which would allow
- EA to finally fix the IR issue
- give a meaning to pre-season (player cuts, position battles)
- practise squads
- injuries that last longer then a quarter (which means that you actually need depth at certain positions)

# 16 AlphaTrojan @ 11/12/09 07:13 PM
I'm unsure if i'll buy madden 11 but if they add these 5 things EA has my money

# 17 RyanMoody21 @ 11/12/09 07:30 PM
I would seriously hope that this year showed that no matter how much "polish", gameplay must be improved. This is NOT simulation football, atleast at a pro level.

The secondary's programed to blindly mirror a WR route needs to go. No matter how far you stretch the ratings, players do not matter.

As Paul said, blocking schemes across the board are either totally broken or just so poorly programed they appear that way. I dont mind a missed assignment or blown up play, but I dont expect to see my tackle turn 180 degrees at the snap to archive that. Lineman cant not continue to ignore assignments by spinning in circles or simply jogging down the field.

If they plan on keeping Pro Tack, then it too needs to be tweaked. If Pro Tack cant be implemented without players shifting through piles or every player (regardless of weight or momentum) interacting the same way, then it needs to go too. A DB should hit and interact with a pile differently than a DE.

# 18 Matt23134 @ 11/12/09 07:52 PM
A complete overhaul of the lineplay. Make throwing the deep ball (a little more) possible.

Make physics, locomotion, and momentum matter. Make it so when I put my kicker at DT he gets dominated EVERY TIME by my starting O-Lineman. Make ratings actually matter.

This is totally not realistic, but give up the exclusivity deal. That would be the best step EA could take in reducing all the animosity that is directed towards them. People are going to hate things. When the market only consists of one supplier, there's only one thing to hate.

# 19 statum71 @ 11/12/09 08:14 PM
I'm with ya all the way. Especially Hammond.

I don't hate the guy and wish they remove him all together.... but if they keep him in he has GOT to sound more fluid.

The network intergration is a great idea too!!!!

# 20 ab2c4 @ 11/12/09 08:48 PM
They need to improve the cpu play calling and most importantly cpu play execution. Let's face it, it doesn't matter what features they add, if the cpu plays as poorly as it does this year the game won't be worth buying. Plain and simple, they need to improve the core gameplay on the field for single player Dynasty.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.